Working on the base for the Wedgie.

Erpeder

Re: Working on the base for the Wedgie.
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jul 2015, 08:44 pm »
I am not 100% sure on this but I believe in a U baffle, everything is connected in phase,  driver coils in  parallel, servo coils in series.  Was the  amp  (A370 I'm assuming) originally setup  for OB H-frames , ie  it has the  shelving circuit ?   Possibly a similar issue to what Danny enountered when he did those first  U - frmes for the wedgies/ookshelfs when he needed to remve the  shelving cirucit  ?

jay

Yes it is the PEQ370 and everything is connected like the H-frames setup. I asked Danny month ago about shelving, and he said no problem to that with thise amps. Perhaps he used HX-200 or HX-300 amps I don`t remember, and it was the 8" I use my 12". When finshed the frames I will make some measurement to see what happens. Here in this evning the drivers are out of the cabinet and I am making more woodwork the next days.

Thanks for comments.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jul 2015, 12:41 am »
Have just sideplaced the 12" in this U-baffel design, it is only a test baffle but to of them and listen to music. The drivers need more power from the amps and therfore going x-max very issey, okay I haven`t done nothing with my x-over (digital) to the the midrange. As I can hear there are null or close in the front and rear but lots of bass in the sides were the drivers are placed. I dont know maby I have wired the drivers wrong. I have wired  them in the same way I done in H-baffel. both drivers are going out, is that right?

Thanks     

Then you have a polarity flipped on something. They will handle all that power in free air and no baffle and not have an X-max problem.

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:37 am »
Danny, isn't the U-frame supposed to be push/push ( no reversed polarity) ?
If he's got them wired identical to  how he had them wiredin the H-frames as he says,  one would be reversed  (unless he had all the woofers facing one way in his H-frame)

Enjoy your trip btw  :beer:

-jay

Erpeder

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jul 2015, 02:09 pm »
The drivers in my H-frames were facing as the Super V and wired as the Super V. In the U-frame the driver is wired as the H-frame and operate push push. right I can`t check it, because the drivers are out of the frames for more woodwork. I have vacation and finish the speaker in the last end of July.

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jul 2015, 03:00 pm »
Jay is correct. The have to be in push/push configuration, not push/pull.

Erpeder

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jul 2015, 03:08 pm »
Jay is correct. The have to be in push/push configuration, not push/pull.

Ok then I have wired the drivers correct, if wrong connection I will have this very load sound grrr not good :D.

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jul 2015, 03:42 pm »
If yo uhave them wired like you did in the H-frame , it is wrong.  One  will have the wrong polarity (the one that facing rearward in the H-frame).  It will not sound "bad", it will just have very little output. The only way  you'll get the buzz is if you cross the driver/servo cirucits

Hard to write this but I'll try :

Driver coils:
+  from amp to  + 1st driver coil,  then  to  + 2nd driver coilo
- from amp to -   1st driver coil , the to - 2nd driver coil

Servo Coils:
+  from amp to + 1st servo coil 
Then from - on  1st coil (above) to + 2nd servo coil
Last, - from amp to -  2nd servo coil

You'll be golden after that  !!

Erpeder

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jul 2015, 03:55 pm »
If yo uhave them wired like you did in the H-frame , it is wrong.  One  will have the wrong polarity (the one that facing rearward in the H-frame).  It will not sound "bad", it will just have very little output. The only way  you'll get the buzz is if you cross the driver/servo cirucits

Hard to write this but I'll try :

Driver coils:
+  from amp to  + 1st driver coil,  then  to  + 2nd driver coilo
- from amp to -   1st driver coil , the to - 2nd driver coil

Servo Coils:
+  from amp to + 1st servo coil 
Then from - on  1st coil (above) to + 2nd servo coil
Last, - from amp to -  2nd servo coil

You'll be golden after that  !!

Aha I can see if you are right I have make a wrong wirering. I used the draw from Super V and wired like that.

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:31 pm »
Yup  :beer:

Let us know how it works after you  make the adjustment

jay

Erpeder

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:55 pm »
Yep later in July. Thanks for help.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2015, 03:20 am »
Danny,

How are these bass frames working out?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:22 pm »
Danny,

How are these bass frames working out?

Mike

I'w wiring them up right now.

Joemamma

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:13 pm »
Fingers crossed!

rak313

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm »
I'w wiring them up right now.

I'm assuming you are using an OB servo amp with the shelving circuit, and not the amp you used for the "Best speaker stand ever"  kit, is that correct?  Other than the V shape, this kit looks a lot like that kit, so I'm wondering if loading with be similar.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jul 2015, 07:41 pm »
Success, big time.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jul 2015, 07:56 pm »
Okay, the bases worked out great. Here are some pics. Sorry for the bad lighting. I took the pics as they set in my listening room and not really set up for photographs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:11 pm »
Okay sound wise the three 8's balance well with the Wedgie upper section. It was not hard at all to blend them to get a seamless integration. The bass is really tight and clean. It sounds clearly better than any non-servo bass I have heard. Even well out in the middle of the room there is plenty of output. So the wedge shape worked really well.

I was able to overdrive the woofers though on the Chinese percussion demo track with the extension filter set to low. For most normal music they did a pretty good job of offering plenty of output without being over driven. I'd say these are ideal for small to medium sized rooms.

If the room size is bigger then you might want to consider the same wedge shape but use a pair of the 12" servo subs instead. The 12's will play louder in the lower ranges and play lower.

As a pair with the Wedgies this combo sounds better than any kit I have ever offered to date. The speed, detail, imaging, transparency, sound stage, and tightness and control in the bass is second to none. Sensitivity is high too at 95db per 1 watt/1 meter. But I still do not know if and when the planar magnetic tweeters from Christy Digital will be made available again. So this whole kit is still on hold.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:27 pm »
Looks Great.

Are these using the OB drivers and shelving circuit in the amp? 

If so, how does this design sound compared to an H-Frame for the 8"s?

jseipp

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:32 pm »
Those look great!  While my bases are not nearly as elegantly integrated, I am still blown away by the sound of the wedges and the servos together.  I definitely hope you are able to get the parts to make these available to more people soon. :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:36 pm »
Looks Great.

Are these using the OB drivers and shelving circuit in the amp? 

If so, how does this design sound compared to an H-Frame for the 8"s?

The amps do have the shelving circuit and they are playing down pretty low. Output wise and sound wise is really close to the H frame. Lots of pressure in the back of the wedge though. Two layers of MDF with braces is a must. I may add a few No Rez strips too just to see what effect it has. I need to try them in some different rooms too.