Dirt cheep multimeter available

avahifi

Re: Dirt cheep multimeter available
« Reply #20 on: 7 Nov 2015, 03:03 pm »
OK you guys doing capacitor rolling, buy this meter Jim Hamley suggests.

Then when swapping capacitors, measure the value of the part removed and replace with new part of the same measured value.

Then be prepared to be disappointed with the money you spent, not the cost of the meter, but the cost of the boutique capacitors.

Frank

srb

« Reply #21 on: 7 Nov 2015, 03:20 pm »
Then be prepared to be disappointed with the money you spent, not the cost of the meter, but the cost of the boutique capacitors.

When swapping capacitors and A/B comparisons not being possible, psychological bias suggests that one will be positively thrilled with their new $100 capacitors!  ;)

If anyone gets one of these cheap capacitance-capable meters and has or knows anyone with a high quality industry standard meter like a Fluke, it would interesting to hear feedback on measurement accuracy comparisons.

Steve

stonedeaf

« Reply #22 on: 7 Nov 2015, 04:06 pm »
Big fan of Fluke meters -after a 15 year old BOTL Fluke failed I replaced it with a Ideal ,a Radio Shack , and two more cheap meters -after a year or two -bought another Fluke. This is a tool I use every day and odd as it may seem - along with reliability and great customer service - the big feature I just missed like a couple of fingers from my right hand - was settle time.Really good meters give you a reading really quickly -cheap meters keep flicking around -last digit or last two digits changing constantly. However -after my Fluke came back from being dropped a story onto a concrete floor -it had been calibrated and I tested it against the two cheapest meters still riddin around in my truck -only tested DCV and resistance -but the accuracy of these much cheaper ('round 1/6 the price) meters was entirely acceptable. We really don't need Fermi Lab levels of accuracy to test/work on audio gear.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #23 on: 7 Nov 2015, 04:10 pm »
We really don't need Fermi Lab levels of accuracy to test/work on audio gear.

Yeah, but has anyone A-B'd off-the-shelf meters with cyro'd ones?

stonedeaf

« Reply #24 on: 7 Nov 2015, 04:32 pm »
Other than one's personal fingers -is there ANYTHING that isn't improved by dipping it in liquid nitrogen ?http://www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/sm_lyellow.gifhttp://www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/icon_biggrin.gif

avahifi

« Reply #25 on: 7 Nov 2015, 06:43 pm »
Actually you can AB test capacitor tests by just doing one channel and using the balance control to swap channels with the speakers located side by side.

Of course let someone else install the component under test and randomly swap the left and right channel wiring so you won't know which channel has the new magic capacitors, etc.

Frank

rcag_ils

« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:34 pm »
none of the cheap digital meters can read 255ma accurately, except maybe the black Midland analog meter, I think I'll stick with analog meter for tube amp current adjustment.