is RUSH the most technically gifted rock band ever, still?

DEP14

Re: is RUSH the most technically gifted rock band ever, still?
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2015, 06:06 pm »
I for one will agree wither the original poster.  Yes, as far as each musician being on top of their instruments Rush is likely number the top group of all time.  All three are just outstanding, Alex is underrated by most due to the fact he plays with Geddy and Neil.

Zeppelin is up there also. 

A lot of metal bands are very talented also.  trivium is a band that come to mind.

ratso

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2015, 07:51 pm »
they have IMO the best drummer, but no. alex is not even close to a top guitar player, and geddy is probably top ten?

mvwine

« Reply #42 on: 13 May 2015, 10:21 pm »
If not the most technically gifted, pretty close. Neil and Geddy are in the top 5 easily on their respective instruments, and Alex is pretty darn good (listen to his whole body of work, not just the eighties Edge-like era of texture). I would put Zeppelin, the Who and Bill Bruford - era Yes up there too.

WireNut

« Reply #43 on: 13 May 2015, 10:32 pm »
they have IMO the best drummer, but no. alex is not even close to a top guitar player, and geddy is probably top ten?

Alex has never gotten enough credit.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #44 on: 13 May 2015, 10:40 pm »
Hi,  I listened to all types of groups mentioned thru the years but never listened to Rush. I'm 58 now and found Rush in my early 50's and love that band!...Mark Korda

mr_bill

« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2015, 11:31 pm »
I love em ........and saw them live last night in St Paul - awesome and 13,000 Rush fans in attendance.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #46 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:11 pm »
Just watched Rush, The lighted Stage. Documentary. It was very interesting for sure.  :thumb:

mark funk

« Reply #47 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:31 pm »
LOL  Rush!  Sorry. I well take my Dead! Oh, Grateful Dead that is.

:smoke:

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #48 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:42 pm »

agreed,

If you can't give Neil Pert some credit for being one of the best drummers ever, then you just haven't really listened.
Pert is just very, gifted, without a doubt.

He was very analytical and precise. Then studied with one of the great jazz drummers ever and kept on learning.

After his baby girl and his wife died, unexpectedly, he kind of lost it, but they eventually came back together.

V....

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #49 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:44 pm »

It's too bad they weren't able to sing in the same key at the same time.

Doc

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #50 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:32 pm »
When Rush first came out we referred to them as the band where the singer puts his nuts in a vice.

Jumpin

« Reply #51 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:44 pm »
I am surprised no one mentioned The Who. I saw them live in 1975 with the original members and a few times after.  I would argue that there was no better drummer than Keith Moon, nor Bass player than John Entwistle.  As good, maybe, but better? 

Daltrey as a singer.  Very few can compare for a pure Rock voice.

And Townsend, not the best guitar player, but a very compelling & unique combination of lead & rhythm at the same time. 

Overwhelming wall of sound with just 3 instruments.

The Who has my vote.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #52 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:45 pm »

I like em BOTH!!

In fact, two of my top five bands.

George

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:51 pm »
Anyone for Dream Theater  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ncb21mbJE  Not my kind of music, but Petrucci is a technical master kind of like Paul Gilbert.  His work with Trans Siberian Orchestra is amazing

or

80's fusion - Uzeb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbaCPiHzoo Or more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCcv-LhIxc

Or modern Blues/Rock perfection in concert.  Love or hate him:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLl800ezYVY  Mr. Quintessential Les Paul tone 

So many great players/groups............

simoon

« Reply #54 on: 31 Jul 2015, 08:17 pm »
I am surprised no one mentioned The Who. I saw them live in 1975 with the original members and a few times after.  I would argue that there was no better drummer than Keith Moon, nor Bass player than John Entwistle.  As good, maybe, but better? 

Daltrey as a singer.  Very few can compare for a pure Rock voice.

And Townsend, not the best guitar player, but a very compelling & unique combination of lead & rhythm at the same time. 

Overwhelming wall of sound with just 3 instruments.

The Who has my vote.

I am a pretty big Who fan, but none of them are very good musicians.

Moon was always out of time, and kind of sloppy. But his wild playing was perfect for the Who!

Entwistle was a good bass player, probably the best musician in the band.

Townsend was pretty creative with what he did, bit not a very good player. He did write some great songs, though. Some of the best in rock, actually.

In his prime, Daltry had a great set of pipes.

There were better musicians in other bands during the Who's prime. And way better musicians in fusion.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #55 on: 31 Jul 2015, 08:36 pm »
Hendrix
Zeppelin
Yes
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Phish

Pert is exceptional but Rush doesn't make the cut for me.

simoon

« Reply #56 on: 31 Jul 2015, 08:37 pm »
Anyone for Dream Theater  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ncb21mbJE  Not my kind of music, but Petrucci is a technical master kind of like Paul Gilbert.  His work with Trans Siberian Orchestra is amazing

or

80's fusion - Uzeb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbaCPiHzoo Or more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCcv-LhIxc

Or modern Blues/Rock perfection in concert.  Love or hate him:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLl800ezYVY  Mr. Quintessential Les Paul tone 

So many great players/groups............

UZEB was a good fusion band. Alain Caron is a top quality bass player. I've seen him play several times at my local jazz club (The Baked Potato). He plays with a French drummer named Damian Schmitt. One of the best drummers on the planet.

The bottom line is, that not many rock bands (with the exception of prog-rock) could come close to the musicianship of the fusion of the 70's. The 80's, with a few exceptions, was not a good time for fusion. It took until the mid 90's (to the present) for a strong resurgence of top quality fusion.

I am not as big a fan of Dream Theater as I used to be (Scenes From a Memory is still a great album), but it is true, every member of DT are amazing musicians.

This is where I give Rush a lot of credit. They took prog rock, and gave it a metal edge. They were definitely a big influence on DT, as well as many superior prog-metal bands that came a bit later.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #57 on: 31 Jul 2015, 11:08 pm »
"The Who", that's a great subject.

If you really want to know why "The Who" were so whacked out of there minds, watch the documentary about them. "Amazing Journey, The story of The who". They didn't exactly grow up with a silver spoon in there mouths. They endured great hardship in there home country, and from what I have gleaned, were already suffering from "shell shock" at a very young age, growing up in war torn England.

V...

(So as far as I am concerned, they were/are giants, for getting out of there neighborhoods, but that might just be the Hebrew talking in me.)

WireNut

« Reply #58 on: 1 Aug 2015, 03:21 am »
Yes they are,

Woodsea

« Reply #59 on: 1 Aug 2015, 04:17 am »
Went to Rush in Vancouver with my 16yr old daughter.  They were so tight it was amazing.  Last time I saw them was in '86 was in Seattle, great to see their last major tour date in Canada.  Thoroughly enjoyable!