Devialet's Hi-Tech "Phantom" New concept 1 cubic foot & 16hz -25khzFR

mr_bill

Did you hear a single or pair of Phantoms?

Bemopti123

"The showroom was quite a large space, maybe 30x30x20, and with only one speaker it is hard to generalize this into a normal room."

I think he meant 1. 

jonbee

"The showroom was quite a large space, maybe 30x30x20, and with only one speaker it is hard to generalize this into a normal room."

I think he meant 1.
Correct. A strange way to introduce a product.
Another question I have is whether such an obviously complicated design will have long term reliability.
I noticed that even at moderate volume the speaker radiated a fair amount of heat.

Ultralight

These are now officially at some USA dealers.  Anyone heard a pair? Care to comment?

Thanks,
UL

firedog

Correct. A strange way to introduce a product.
Another question I have is whether such an obviously complicated design will have long term reliability.
I noticed that even at moderate volume the speaker radiated a fair amount of heat.

The optional stands are supposed to also act as a type of heatsink.

It isn't a complicated design in terms of parts - if you search the details on the net, you'll see that it has very small number of parts (AFAIR, something like 11 pieces altogether) so that it is very cheap to assemble and doesn't have much that can be damaged by the SP and vibration that occur during playback. Doesn't look like traditional electronics inside with wiring. etc.

wisnon

I had posted this at another forum a few weeks ago:

I finally got to hear them. A single White on Friday and a stereo pair of Silvers yesterday and I must say…they are FUN!

If not audiophile obsessed, a pair of Silvers could be endgame. Yes, they lack ultimate resolution in mids and upper mids… but the HF was pretty good and the bass can be a bit fat/exaggerated, but overall they work very well and can ROCK. Perfect party speakers too and they scale up nicely to 32 units playing in concert with each other. They passed the "cricket test" with Chris Jones "Roadhouses" cut and were lovely with Thriller and Keith Dont Go. Rosanna's guitar rift was also very pleasing, but lacked that extra resolution of the "unfair to compare to" Goldmund Annatta (where you could hear the performers murmering to each other).

All in all for CHF4K (Swiss Francs) for a pair of Silver, I found it extremely competitive for the price and tempting in its simplicity. Easy to love…and I was prepared to not like them as much as I did. As a 2nd system…(or 2nd home) like in a Lake cabin or a Chalet… it's a no-brainer. Sonos on steroids.

What I would expect to see soon is that swanky bars and clubs will adopt them as near turnkey scalable solutions, given that they are easily wall mounted with a dedicated optional bracket.

The Silver weighed more than I thought just looking at them and ran a bit hot at the back vents. Me Likey!
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2015, 09:20 am by wisnon »

jhm731

Russell Dawkins