BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Vipers

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #60 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:24 pm »
Hi James,

Can you do me a favour please, can you give me a total height measurement of the BDP sitting ontop of a BDA, as I need to order some new legs for my rack and they are quoting a 2 week turnaround so I want to get the ball rolling, and after speaking to PMC today who told me that their BDP's are in customs at the moment so hopefully I'll get my BDP later this week, fingers crossed  :)

Cheers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:28 pm »
The BDP-1 is the same height as the DAC - 2 3/4 inches including the rubber feet and the faceplate.

james

klao

« Reply #62 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:58 pm »
Have you seen the nice review of the BDA-1 in http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/, by the way?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #63 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:01 pm »
It will be very interesting indeed :D Not sure if the speed will make much difference but the no-moving parts and the reliabilty features are very seductive.

James

Uhm James...

Are you honestly only now thinking of this possibility? A SSD was mentioned somewhere on the second or third page of the sneak peak thread...
No noise, stable, no need to defrag ever (it's even better if you don't), hardly any power needed... The only downside: they are expensive. Although I don't really understand why, USB sticks also come in 512 GB now...

terrycym

« Reply #64 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:12 pm »
We're not asking for Bryston to factory fit SSDs, just the option for the user to fit one himself.
Heck, if that scares you, you can get customers to get their dealers to fit the user supplied SSD

Any idea when BDP-1s will available in the UK?
Presume I'll have to wait for the Bristol Show?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #65 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:20 pm »
We're not asking for Bryston to factory fit SSDs, just the option for the user to fit one himself.
Heck, if that scares you, you can get customers to get their dealers to fit the user supplied SSD

+1!!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:11 pm »
Uhm James...

Are you honestly only now thinking of this possibility? A SSD was mentioned somewhere on the second or third page of the sneak peak thread...
No noise, stable, no need to defrag ever (it's even better if you don't), hardly any power needed... The only downside: they are expensive. Although I don't really understand why, USB sticks also come in 512 GB now...

Hi,

Yes that was my concern initially- do we need SSD drives when we have such large Flashdrives available already - I am not familiar enough with the different technologies but it would be interesting to find out if there are any advantages to a SSD over a Flashdrive?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:12 pm »

Hi,  I think they are in UK customs as we speak.

james

Vipers

« Reply #68 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:48 pm »

I spoke to PMC today, and as James mentioned, PMC have been notified that they are in customs at the moment so hopefully they shouldn't take too long to clear.

Just hope there is enough to go round, my name is down for one of the first batch though  :)

Vipers

« Reply #69 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:54 pm »
The BDP-1 is the same height as the DAC - 2 3/4 inches including the rubber feet and the faceplate.

james

Thanks James, I'm Really quite excited about getting my BDP-1  :D

dj_seraphim

« Reply #70 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:07 pm »
I'm not sure I'd like my hard earned flac collection on an SSD due to their life expectancy.

The static charges on the flash memory cells dissipate over time. I believe that stored data should last around 10 years depending on use.

Some kind of backup solution is definitely required!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:12 pm »
I'm not sure I'd like my hard earned flac collection on an SSD due to their life expectancy.

The static charges on the flash memory cells dissipate over time. I believe that stored data should last around 10 years depending on use.

Some kind of backup solution is definitely required!

Hi

1. Stored data of 10 years on flash or rotary drives?
2. If you do not access the drive - meaning it is storage only - will it last beyond 10 years?

I was told it comes down to the number of read/writes and that storage was not an issue if your not using the storage drive.  Also when the flash drives go they can generally be 'read' but you can not 'write' to them.  If a hard-drive goes game over because the mechanics are shot.

SSD's I have heard can last 10 years easily and the really good ones 50 years?

james

Napalm

« Reply #72 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:50 pm »
Hi nikon,

Apparently we have enough buttons for the remotes for a couple of years.

james

When you run out of them I can supply you with some cool new old stock:

Nap.  :jester:

Vipers

« Reply #73 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:28 pm »
James, can you just confirm for me please before I order this external drive that as far as you can tell that it will work with the BDP OK?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9752934/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-320GB-2-5-inch-External-USB-2-0-Hard-Drive-Black/Product.html

Just going for a smallish one to start with, so I can have a play  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:47 pm »
James, can you just confirm for me please before I order this external drive that as far as you can tell that it will work with the BDP OK?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9752934/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-320GB-2-5-inch-External-USB-2-0-Hard-Drive-Black/Product.html

Just going for a smallish one to start with, so I can have a play  :)

Hi Vipers,

Yes perfect - I actually prefer to use the smaller drives as they load faster.

james

Vipers

« Reply #75 on: 23 Nov 2010, 10:05 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Yes perfect - I actually prefer to use the smaller drives as they load faster.

james

Good Point, James, thanks, I'm finding this all quite exciting, it really feels like I'm about to try something quite different when my BDP turns up, it feels like we are really entering a new era of 2ch playback, can't wait to try some HD tracks  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:42 pm »
Hi Vipers

When you add the music to the USB drive arrange the content in folders of Artist then Albums.

James

BrysTony

« Reply #77 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
Looks like the BDP-1 is generating a lot of excitement!  I ordered mine yesterday - also ordered an AES/EBU cable from Bryston.  I have put in a network drop next to my audio equipment rack and have some HD Tracks 24bit/96khz and Reference Recordings 24bit/176.4khz ready to go.  I am in waiting mode.
Tony

Vipers

« Reply #78 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:01 pm »
Hi Vipers

When you add the music to the USB drive arrange the content in folders of Artist then Albums.

James

Thanks James, Will do.

I'm looking forward to comparing the same tracks played on my BCD against them ripped to flac and then played on a flash drive and normal hard disk through the BDP to see what I prefer, from the early reports I'm expecting the BDP to be a bit special and I can see its main use for now until more of my kind of music is available in HD, ie rock, easy listening, being ripping my favourite albums rather than using the BCD, I guess I'll find out soon enough, found out today that my MB2i's, 7B's and hopefully BDP are being delivered on Friday  :) 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 24 Nov 2010, 05:03 pm »
Thanks James, Will do.

I'm looking forward to comparing the same tracks played on my BCD against them ripped to flac and then played on a flash drive and normal hard disk through the BDP to see what I prefer, from the early reports I'm expecting the BDP to be a bit special and I can see its main use for now until more of my kind of music is available in HD, ie rock, easy listening, being ripping my favourite albums rather than using the BCD, I guess I'll find out soon enough, found out today that my MB2i's, 7B's and hopefully BDP are being delivered on Friday  :)

Terrific :thumb:  - can't wait for your report!

james