BDP-2 Display Lag

Pundamilia

BDP-2 Display Lag
« on: 5 Mar 2018, 05:26 am »
It's doing it again! Every once in a while the front Display on my BDP-2 fails to update to the song currently playing. I am listening to the next song, but the display is still showing the song that I just finished hearing.  :scratch: :scratch:

Has anyone else had this issue?

Does it have anything to do with the size of the library?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Display Lag
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2018, 11:21 am »
It's doing it again! Every once in a while the front Display on my BDP-2 fails to update to the song currently playing. I am listening to the next song, but the display is still showing the song that I just finished hearing.  :scratch: :scratch:

Hi

Are you connected to a network or using the man-cave option with a dedicated router not connected to the network?

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2018, 11:50 am »

Mine occasionally has a delay in refreshing to the current track when I press the forward button on front panel. Otherwise, it's OK with MPad.

Pundamilia

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2018, 02:37 pm »
Thanks for responding.

It's connected to a network. I have created a (temporary) playlist and it is cruising through the songs and then after a while the display stops updating accurately. About half way through the next song, it catches up. If the music is directly connected (which it is via USB), I don't understand how the network can be a factor.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2018, 02:57 pm »
Thanks for responding.

It's connected to a network. I have created a (temporary) playlist and it is cruising through the songs and then after a while the display stops updating accurately. About half way through the next song, it catches up. If the music is directly connected (which it is via USB), I don't understand how the network can be a factor.

It may be using the net to fetch other info related to tagging, cover art etc ?.   :scratch:
In any event, if it's not affecting the playback (no skips?), don't go nutz over this.

cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2018, 03:22 pm »
Thanks for responding.

Hi

I will let Chris answer - I may be wrong but I have found that sometimes if the network can not find the next album art or artist info it lags behind.

james

Calypte

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2018, 06:58 pm »
Hi

I will let Chris answer - I may be wrong but I have found that sometimes if the network can not find the next album art or artist info it lags behind.

james
Now this is an interesting comment!  I have a BDP-pi.  98% of my collection is classical.  I have an active project to rip most of my collection.  Unless cover art comes with a download, cover art never appears.  Window Media Player finds and displays cover art (from where, I have no idea).  But Foobar2000 doesn't find it anywhere, and neither does the BDP-pi.  The few pop and jazz items in my collection don't retrieve or show cover art, either.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2018, 08:26 pm »
Unless cover art comes with a download, cover art never appears. 

Same with BDP-1/2. 

I resort to Google the album, and save the cover image as "cover.jpg" in the album folder. Then MPad will display the cover art automatically.

Calypte

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2018, 08:45 pm »
Same with BDP-1/2. 

I resort to Google the album, and save the cover image as "cover.jpg" in the album folder. Then MPad will display the cover art automatically.
I thought there was some magic repository out there on the web with album covers.  Windows Media Player is able to find it (usually).

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2018, 10:29 pm »
Who knows?  MusicBrainz and FreeDB are two sources of album metadata that some rip software uses. When in doubt, do the Google.

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2018, 12:24 am »

As others have posted it could very well be the front panel software is busy doing something, cover art is a likley culprit. If you have a playlist that seems to do it frequently you are welcome to place the bdp into service mode and email me the service Id along with the playlist preloaded.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Pundamilia

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2018, 02:58 am »
Thanks, Chris

I can''t say that it does it often. i was playing tunes from a 4TB USB-connected hard drive that is almost full. Is there some sort of pre-fetch that the BDP does that could be sucking up CPU time?

Calypte

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:24 am »
freedb.org has what I think is called metadata -- movement numbers and tempos, first words of opera arias, etc.  Freedb doesn't have album covers.  Musicbrainz is worthless.  There are no covers for any album I own, classical, jazz, or pop.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2018, 01:24 pm »
freedb.org has what I think is called metadata -- movement numbers and tempos, first words of opera arias, etc.  Freedb doesn't have album covers.  Musicbrainz is worthless.  There are no covers for any album I own, classical, jazz, or pop.

As I said: for cover art, do Google and download. Often, multiple covers for same album crop up, so one can choose whichever one looks more colorful.

cheers

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2018, 06:54 am »
Try Album Art Exchange and then click "gallery"

I doubt you'll find classical, as it's all user-added album covers. And lately, I haven't found as much as I used to, but still worth a try.

albumartexchange.com