which exhaust material sounds the best?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: which exhaust material sounds the best?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2014, 03:25 am »
Chrome.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2014, 03:31 am »
I believe exhausts materials dont change the sound to significant degree, just the shape and internal stuffing.
2 cents.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2014, 04:05 am »
Materials don't change the sound to a significant degree... it's all in the construction.

I wonder if that relates to speakers   :wink:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2014, 04:15 am »
I believe exhausts materials dont change the sound to significant degree, just the shape and internal stuffing.
2 cents.

Well My Experience is Different,They Certainly Change the Sound... :violin: :violin:

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2014, 04:48 am »
One poster on another forum said he liked the carbon fiber sound because it was pure exhaust note, and seemed deeper, where metal cans had a ringey or pingey secondary note.

Again, I have zero experience with exhausts,  this is just what someone else wrote.

low.pfile

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2014, 05:08 am »
Rclark, congrats on getting your new ride and getting it kitted up to your liking.
your post made me think about my own experience adding an exhaust to my SV650 years ago. The stock sounds like a burly sewing machine, even though its a Vtwin. there were many youtube clips of various exhausts-the video quality/sound varied so all was with a grain of salt. but it sounds like you placed your order already. so you'll find out soon enough.
my add-on exhaust (renegade from the UK-oval titanium) was just what I wanted. It sounded and looked great-albeit rare in the US. I found myself going on long rides and wore earplugs to deal with helmet/wind noise. so I really didn't hear much of the exhaust. others likely did. it is not loud but a bit deep.
So I wonder when you ask about sounding best. is this for around town cruising or long rides?

FWIW, after years of running without, I ended up added the optional screw on cap to lower the sound a bit (though it increases backpressure and lowers HP ever so slightly) and left it on years ago. Especially as my packing is probably mostly gone by now so it has gotten a little louder.

cheers

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jun 2014, 05:52 am »
Mine sounds like a big sewing machine at idle too, but sounds really nice after a few thousand rpm. I wear earplugs too, and I mainly get the low tones when I'm riding, and it's extremely pleasant, deep sounding, with earplugs in. Love trolling through small towns passing through on my various trips, and the note is almost cruiser like in my helmet, and the bike is torquey down low so, very nice.

But at idle or near it, sewing machine. From the audio clips I've heard so far on Youtube, the Muzzy gives the bike real character at idle.

Will be a significant weight loss as well because

A) losing the stock dual exhausts for a carbon fiber 2 into 1.

B) centerstand will have to come off. And they are heavy. Will miss it though, I park the bike on the centerstand every night and it makes oil change/chain maintenance very practical. Take weight off the tires, suspension. Will have to buy front and rear external stands to replace it.

On camping trips the centerstand also kicks butt when you have to park on soft earth. Kickstand is no good there.

And I can finally use the helmet lock.

But yeah, this is for light sport riding, sport touring, and commuting. It's why I chose this particular type of bike and not a 600 supersport with clip ons.

(Seriously considering a ZX-10R though, as a weekend bike to complement this, in a few years, something with a full on warp drive engine).

mcgsxr

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:39 pm »
Good call on the rear stand, I used one exclusively on all my GSXR's back in the day.  I never did pop for the front end stand, though it would have come in significant handy a number of times during maintenance.

Add a crushed can or some other flat aluminum piece to slide under your kickstand, it will come in handy on those hot days when the pavement gets soft too.  I tossed one under the seat and left it there for days far from home when I needed to put the bike to rest on the side stand.

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2014, 01:05 am »
Crushed can really works huh? I suppose I can get some frame sliders too. Not worried about dropping it, but someone or something else could.

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2014, 11:58 am »
I found that any flat piece of metal would stabilize the kickstand in gravel or hot soft asphalt yes.  I used a crushed pop can, but anything will do.

It helps prevent the bike falling over after you leave.  I have seen hot asphalt allow a kickstand to bury itself into it and the bike fall over on a hot day.

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2014, 05:24 pm »
Exhaust is shipping. Also got a fender eliminator kit and some better mirrors. Gonna go convert a Mountain Dew can into a stylish parking puck as the centerstand's days are officially numbered  :icon_twisted:

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2014, 10:56 pm »
Oh man, what a beautiful piece! Going to have a very nice bike when all is said and done.

Rclark

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2014, 09:14 pm »
Got a Factory Pro titanium needle jet kit, ignition advancer, and shifter kit (really looking forward to this piece installed). Just waiting on a gasket then it's off to the mechanic.