virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Audience ONE loudspeaker
« on: 19 Jan 2011, 06:42 pm »
Hey Guys,

http://store.virtueaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AUDIENCE-THEONE-1

Roger Sheker, the genius who designed our first generation amplifiers, called me before CES and said he was exhibiting a new speaker, could he borrow a new amp.  Of course, I agreed.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audiences-one-clairaudient

Stephen Mejias at Stereophile is a good judge of gear.  Here's what he says.

It was a pleasure to finally meet Audience’s John McDonald, who beamed with energy, pride, and happiness over his new Audience The One ClairAudient loudspeaker ($995/pair), seen here alongside Audience’s own A3 drive unit, which uses a relatively large neodymium motor structure and voice coil, suspension venting, and is said to provide 12mm of usable excursion with less than 1dB compression. This is the same drive unit found in Audience’s larger 2+2 ClairAudient ($5000/pair) and 4+4 ClairAudient ($12,300/pair), and the One takes its crossover-free, passive-radiator technology from those models. The One represents a single-driver version of Audience’s basic design philosophies, and though it lends itself nicely to desktop systems, its applications are “limitless,” McDonald enthused. As we listened to a piece of music, McDonald whispered, “It can play at 100dB continuous, no problem.”

For T.H.E. Show, the One was part of a system with a laptop source playing lossless files, an Arcam rDAC ($495), an adorable Virtue Audio amplifier ($449), and Audience’s Conductor “e” interconnects and cables. However, when I walked into the room, the system was mated to the shiny Devialet amplifier. The sound was tuneful and rhythmically assured, with nice air around voices and cymbals, and a lovely tone to woodwinds. The folks from Devialet seemed just as impressed.

Roger told me it was just bad luck for us that the Devialet team was in the room with their amps at the same time.  I wonder which amp sounded better on the ONE?  Hehe, I'm a gentleman.

TONEPUB

Re: Audience ONE loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2011, 08:04 pm »
The Devialet amp is pretty outstanding.  I've got the only one in North America right now...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2011, 09:07 pm »
What do you know, Jeff?  Did you hear the combo at CES?  Apparently the metal-work on the Frenchie is quite nice.

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2011, 10:25 pm »
When Seth's wife isn't around someone has to edit his comments.
What do you know, Jeff?  :lol:  :beer:
Did you hear the combo at CES?  Apparently the metal-work on the Frenchie is quite nice.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2011, 10:29 pm »
"yeah..." to quote Rob Livingston.

Sarcasm so smoove they're not necessary even.  or perhaps they are  :duh:

Jeff's a stud.  And a good listener too.  I can't remember whether Roger used his favorite word to describe the Frenchies. 

I probably would have liked them.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm »
I heard it at CES, but I'm listening to it right now.  We've been chosen to do the initial review in North America.  We'll have something up on our website in a few days.

Well made, sounds great and the DAC is excellent.  Going to be exploring the phono stage shortly.  This is a pretty sophisticated piece of hardware and it is beautifully executed.   

This is definitely a first class piece of gear. 

momini1

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:05 pm »
As well it should be. If I read the web page correctly, the British price is 10,900 pound sterling = about $17,500. I think we are talking different client bases here, Seth. The remote, though, is a thing of beauty - looks like you could control the Hubble Telescope from your sofa with the thing.

I'm kind of interested in the speaker. I've owned single drivers - a couple of pairs of Tektons - any comments from anyone on how these might compare?  Anyone heard them with the Sensation or other Virtue products? The price is very reasonable and they look like they have a very nice fit and finish.

ferenc_k

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:46 pm »
When Seth's wife isn't around someone has to edit his comments.

I have a luxury to use a Devialet as well, and it is way more than a nice metalwork. It is probably (or even definitely) the most innovative piece of audio gear of the last decade or so. Something really original and it sounds absolutely first class. I just do not know anything which comes close to its functionality and musicality.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:07 am »
Slick video:

http://www.devialet.com/video.php

Looks like a well-engineered product.  To support your own IC development is a big deal.  Maybe they are just doing the packaging, but regardless, it's ambitious and very expensive to engineer!

I wish those guys the best!

Seth