Does anyone have contact info for Mike Dzurko?

ajayrav

Does anyone have contact info for Mike Dzurko?
« on: 7 May 2017, 03:44 pm »
Hello folks,

As the title reads...does anyone know how I can get in touch with Mike Dzurko?  My Sapphire XL took a tumble and has a gouge that needs to be fixed.  Most repair folks ask about what the finish is prior to attempting to repair.... Without knowing if if it is lacquer or some other finish I don't think people will touch it, fearing incompatibility.  I sent Mike a PM, but he hasn't responded....hence the post.

Thanks,
Ajay

Kishore

Re: Does anyone have contact info for Mike Dzurko?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2017, 09:01 pm »
Hi Ajay,

Where are you located? You do not need Mike for that - there must be choice of cabinet workers locally who can fix piano black finish once they take a look at the speaker/finish. It is pretty straightforward. 

If you are near So Cal, I have my go-to person who is very reasonable- ping me for info. You can get estimate from him for reference. 

Regards,
Kishore

ajayrav

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2017, 09:30 pm »
Hi Kishore,

Apparently, not as straightforward as I thought.... I've tried a couple of furniture folks who have all declined to repair it.  They were all scared of refinishing it for fear of incompatibility with the existing finish and wanted details on what the existing finish was.  I also called the local stereo stores in the SF Bay Area who also suggested I call the manufacturer and find out what the finish was.  I'm not looking for a perfect finish...as good as it gets will suffice!

I went around to a couple of piano stores today and got some names of piano refinishers I will call tomorrow.  I am SO bummed!  I love these speakers!

Thanks,
Ajay

aggielaw

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2017, 09:46 pm »
I found the guy who purchased the rights to ACI products a few years ago for help with a Titan II and he seemed to be very knowledgeable.  If he doesn't have Mike's technical data to give him the information maybe he can contact Mike for you and get your the answer.

Good luck!

ajayrav

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2017, 09:48 pm »
I found the guy who purchased the rights to ACI products a few years ago for help with a Titan II and he seemed to be very knowledgeable.  If he doesn't have Mike's technical data to give him the information maybe he can contact Mike for you and get your the answer.

Good luck!

Do you have this guy's contact info?  Is he part of Meniscus Audio?

Thanks,
Ajay

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2017, 05:24 pm »
Sorry it's taken so long for reply, we were on the road with very limited internet access the last couple months. Just got home yesterday.
Anyway, I think the piano guys might be your best bet. My understanding is that was done more or less like an automotive finish, but I have no idea what the actual products used were and no longer have the ability to contact the contractor.  I've got a lot of catching up to do in the next couple of days. As soon as I get a chance I'll see if I have any notes with better detail on the finish. I know what a bummer it is to have something you enjoy get damaged!

ajayrav

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2017, 08:07 pm »
Thanks, Mike.  If it is more or less like an automotive finish, I think it is going to be easier to refinish.  Piano refinishers are not being very helpful….

Ajay

Monsoon

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2022, 10:38 pm »
Mike, I was a customer of Audio Concepts from the late 80's forward.
I purchased a pair of the huge mono subwoofers and rosewood monitor cabinets made by Clarke Specialties. If I remember right, the subs were designed by Jack Caldwell, and with the Dynaudio 30W100 woofers, it made for possibly the finest subwoofer sold anywhere at the time.
Interesting side note, Bob Clarke from Clarke Specialties, agreed to use solid Brazilian Rosewood for the side panels for an extra $300. I remember he said that it was the only pair he'd ever done that way. The monitors and subs were stunning in rosewood, and the sound was better than anything i'd ever heard in the high end shops.
You guys had all the bases covered in those days, and it was a pleasure to be able to work with you all. I remember the guy I talked to most often was Terry, who had all the answers I ever sought out.

adls

• Long time audio and home theater enthusiast.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:53 pm »
I purchased two Essence V, one Essence (center channel) and two Emerald On-Wall speakers in 2006-2007.  They still seem to sound fine.  Should I be concerned about replacing crossover components?  Were there any electrolytic capacitors used?  Thank you.