Router (networking) suggestions - SNMP/Mac

skunark

Re: Router (networking) suggestions - SNMP/Mac
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2017, 08:12 pm »
The new Synology router looked very interesting, but I opted for the google wifi 3-node mesh router.   To cover the entire house and back patio, i would at least need two routers, so the three node mesh solution seemed perfect.   

Good or bad the google wifi has even less options than the Airport Extreme but did have a few diagnostic tools (speedtest, mesh test, location test) that Apple didn't have and also told you who was consuming the most bandwidth.   One feature for parents is the device pause feature where you can set some boundaries with those that annoy you.     

It did take several days for the everything to settle down, the access points/mesh nodes didn't initially take to the ethernet backhaul, and i was very tempted to just return it, but now it's working very well.   There's no snmp features, which was something that you were after.

Jim

skunark

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2017, 03:51 am »
Small update on the Google Wifi router.. It appears there's no load-sharing function built into this router, so it's very possible for an OS update to interrupt your streaming.  I will have to contact Google's customer support and see if they will address this, otherwise, I will have to bring back lone working Airport Extreme to do router duty.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2017, 04:20 pm »
Some time later...

I did end up with a Synology router, the newer RT2600AC -> https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT2600ac

The VDSL modem/router we had seemed to be having trouble coping with the number of devices on the network, which has been growing lately (new tablets, raspberry Pis etc etc). Hence the decision finally to get a separate router.

So far so good (just set up earlier today). The interface is familiar-ish if you've used a Synology NAS. Much better than I personally have used for this type of thing anyway.

The documentation does leave something to be desired, but I found out what I needed to know from the RT1900AC manual. (The important thing was to configure it as a "Wireless Router" and NOT as a "Wireless AP", contrary to what the images in the interface suggest.)

There are a lot of capabilities I haven't touched yet. However the really basic really simple thing I wanted is there:

That's Netflix streaming to the Oppo BDP in green and Tidal playing in orange.