24v, 5Ah battery supply

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
24v, 5Ah battery supply
« on: 26 May 2014, 09:34 pm »
Guys,

I'm stocking a new 24v li-ion battery pack from China.

http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/virtu-liion-24v5k-2xout.1.htm

Very slick pack.  Custom made for us with dual 24v barrel connector outputs and one 24v charging input.

Ships in 1-2 weeks.  You can see it here next to the SLA pack it replaced.

Let me know how it runs on some of those DIY boards.

Seth
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2014, 02:08 am by virtue »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: 24v, 5Ah battery supply
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 12:18 pm »
Sorry Seth, you can't advertise in the Community Circles.  However it looks like a great deal and hopefully the redirect to your circle will bring a lot of C&C readers to this thread where they might try the PS.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 12:33 pm »
Does this auto charge and shut off the charger when not in use?  I might be interested in for another project. 

jb26

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2014, 02:06 pm »
Hi Seth,

Can this be used on a Sensation M901?  I have the old battery pack, it sounds great (though I keep blowing chargers!).  I would consider this new model as it's smaller and more wife-friendly.

If so, previous threads have indicated the old battery will do 40WPC into 8Ohms - where would this one rate?

Cheers,

JB

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2014, 04:12 am »
Yes, this pack is a drop-in replacement for the older style packs.  It provides the exact same voltage and same current.  So around 40 wpc @ 8 ohms sounds right to me.  Voltage limited @ 28v fully charged.  It will never run out of current so you could get the full 80 wpc into 4 ohms with a topped up pack.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2014, 05:31 am »
Hi Seth,

Just wondering whether you think this is an upgrade on the 30v/130 watt power supply I bought with my One.3 amplifier.  I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound quality.  I had a couple of audiophile friends come by on Saturday and we had a listen to my combination which includes Red Wine Audio iMod, Virtue One.3, Nuforce S9 speakers and Salk Sound rhythmic subwoofer.  This is my second system and I kept thinking how much money I could have saved instead of spending so much on my main system and they both said they couldn't believe how good the Virtue One. sounded.

Cheers Rod

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 11:05 am »
Does this auto charge and shut off the charger when not in use?  I might be interested in for another project.
Bueller.  Bueller....

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2014, 02:50 pm »
"Does this auto charge and shut off the charger when not in use?  I might be interested in for another project. "

Yes it auto charges and the LED on the charger changes to red when it's done charging.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 02:52 pm »
"Does this auto charge and shut off the charger when not in use?  I might be interested in for another project. "

Yes it auto charges and the LED on the charger changes to red when it's done charging.
Sweet.  When does this sale end?

jb26

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2014, 03:06 pm »
This thread got me motivated to pull my battery pack out after using the 30/130 PSU for a long time (long story).  I listen on inefficient speakers and at low volumes, and I found the battery made a real difference.  It helped clear up complicated rock music, seperating the different instruments and letting me get into it more.  I'm not sure of the 'why', but I definitely prefer the battery pack.

bardamu

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2014, 07:06 pm »
Hello,
Dear readers we did discuss batteries before so if they were out of your budget. You should order now!!!. Dont ask again if it will be suitable for your situation. Yes maybe the bigger batteries will give you a longer time to listen and they could sound a bit better. BUT then you are talking about an investment bigger than your amp.
This combination looks nice to me. It is not like a duelund cap in 300$ integrated.
Start spending it is a hobby, edward

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:57 am »
Hi Guys,

I just ordered the battery power supply from Seth.  I'll post a comparison of any differences I hear between the 30v/130w and the battery power supply.

Cheers rod
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2014, 11:08 pm by Rocket »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2014, 06:12 pm »
First 10 supplies are here shipping today.  Next batch ships next week.

I sent out a bunch.  Updated status on next batch.  Will ship 6/13.  Some amps will go out Friday.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2014, 02:09 am by virtue »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2014, 06:05 am »
I fixed the price of this supply at $111.  Looking forward to hearing feedback.

Also, Jason sent me the broken soft-starts.  Since this battery has its own switch, it's possible to use it with the really old Virtue amps if you leave their internal switches on.  Remember that if you don't, it's quite likely you'll weld the switch "on."  Those amps are OUT OF WARRANTY to be careful.  They are, however, upgradeable to the ONE.3.

Add $10 for an external soft-start.

thegunner100

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:34 pm »
Hmm, so does anyone have some feedback on the battery PSU now that its been a few weeks?

bardamu

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2014, 03:39 pm »
Hello,
I know my battery supply works very well with my virtue sensation. I am sure if Set says it is a safe power supply it will be safe. The only way to find out is to buy one. The virtue crowd is more a reading than a typing crowd. They like other people to invest and then tell them what it is like and then they still not sure if they wanna by it. lol
This one is not a big investment. Almost sure you like it.
Sincere greetings, Edward

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2014, 09:38 pm »
It's a great supply! 

After some shipping snafus, I just got a new batch today which will go out before Friday.

We're going to order more today as well.

Seth

sugbob21

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:58 pm »
is it ok to charge two 1.3 Virtue amps with one battery at the samre time ?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #18 on: 23 Nov 2014, 07:01 pm »
We have NOT had luck with that configuration.  Shared grounds don't work on these amps.

However, if you have a pre-amp, you can probably share power.  Try it and let me know.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2015, 09:42 am »
 Long shot l know has anybody been able to compare the new Li-ion to the old SLA types? :D