Geek DAC @ Kickstarter. Get 'em while they last!

JohnR

Re: Geek DAC @ Kickstarter. Get 'em while they last!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2013, 10:37 am »
I do have a couple of questions...

1. What exactly does the "3D awesomifier" do? Is it a crossfeed, or something else...?

2. How is power output rated? Into 32 ohms?

billleebens

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:13 pm »
Thank YOU , John!

BTW-- folks asked about specs and measurements. This blog has a full set of measurements from Geek--and if you scroll down below my "dying industry" rant, you'll see Geek vs. Dragonfly and Explorer:

http://mustgeekout.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your interest!

jackman

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:37 pm »
I wish you guys would hurry up with this DAC.  Looking forward to hearing it or at least reading a third party review.  I'm done buying things sight unseen or unheard and I'm willing to pay a bit more for something with a trial period and return policy.  The DAC has the features everyone wants and looks cool. If it lives up to expectations you look to have a winner on your hands.

Best of luck.

Jack

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:47 pm »
BTW-- folks asked about specs and measurements. This blog has a full set of measurements from Geek--and if you scroll down below my "dying industry" rant, you'll see Geek vs. Dragonfly and Explorer:

http://mustgeekout.blogspot.com/

Thanks.

brj

« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:49 pm »
Looks like a handy little device.  Any chance of a version that could process the digital stream from a smartphone?

While I have nice headphones at work, I can't keep music on the work laptop, so I listen to music off of my iPhone.  I keep hoping for someone to release a lightning connector capable device similar in concept to the Pure i-20.  Something GeekDAC sized would be perfect and would be more portable, though I do realize that you'd have to deal with Apple licensing to get access to the digital output.  I'm not sure what would be involved in pulling a digital stream off of the plethora of Android phones.

Food for thought...

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2013, 06:23 pm »
Today they updated the offering with two higher power versions of the GEEK. The Super GEEK with 60% more output power and the Super-Duper GEEK with 120% more power. Tim Taylor would be proud.  :D I decided to go Super GEEK with mine for an extra $30.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones/posts/579920?ref=email&show_token=5c62c85cd3215b68

mikeeastman

« Reply #26 on: 27 Aug 2013, 07:42 pm »
 Bill why would you need the higher power?

Thanks, Mike

billleebens

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:27 pm »
Mike, some 'phones are less-efficient than others...and some folks want to blast their tunes more than others!
Even the standard Geek is a big step up from a laptop's output. You're in audio-- you know there's always somebody who wants the "Turbo" version, right?

Thanks for your interest!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:34 pm »
some folks want to blast their tunes more than others!
WHAT?  I can't hear you!!!!!

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:38 pm »
Well, we're talking 3.4 more dB for the super duper thingy. It's a cool idea though, you get something extra for a bit extra, I like it and I'm still thinking about it.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:15 pm »
As if to validate the design of the GEEK to do DSD, there is this announcement today from Acoustic Sounds. (Via Audiostream)

http://www.audiostream.com/content/acoustic-sounds-offers-dsd-downloadsnow
 :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:29 pm »
As if to validate the design of the GEEK to do DSD, there is this announcement today from Acoustic Sounds. (Via Audiostream)

http://www.audiostream.com/content/acoustic-sounds-offers-dsd-downloadsnow
 :thumb:

I posted it in my HiRez Circle earlier, too.  Chad has 30+ albums up already.  As many of you know Analogue Productions does most of its work via analog tapes-to-(in this case DSD..vinyl too of course).  The NJ stuff is still debatable (analog tracks, pro tools to mix) but that project is somewhat of an anomaly.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67909.msg1255398#msg1255398

billleebens

« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2013, 08:14 pm »
Guys-- good news about Acoustic Sounds, and there are more DSD-file vendors to come. Meanwhile, don't forget Cookie Marenco's Blue Coast Records, one of the pioneers in this field.

Just to let you know: at the end of the Kickstarter campaign, we will be GIVING AWAY ---> FIVE (5) FIVE <---  GEEKs- you pick which type. Here's the catch: the five winners will be chosen randomly from amongst our backers...
BUT that includes the $1 backers! So-- if you've been on the fence about supporting this campaign, you can show your support for a buck--and maybe win a Geek in the process!

Thanks for your interest and your input!

Bill

JohnR

« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2013, 07:30 am »
I interviewed Gavin Fish about the Geek - http://www.hifizine.com/2013/09/gavin-fish-on-the-geek-and-kickstarter/

He has some interesting things to say. And thank you to Bill for facilitating  :thumb: (And Seth for bringing this to our attention. C'mon Seth, get those new Virtue products out!!)

jackman

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2013, 03:39 pm »
Has anyone tried the Geek DAC yet?  I know there is a review but I'm surprised we haven't seen any additional evaluations.   Also, by the time these our out, I wonder how many other DACS will be out there with similar functionality (DSD).  Schiit just launched their DSD add-on DAC for $150 and it looks cool.  I also understand IFI (I think that's the company) launched a new mini DAC that does DSD and is priced around $150. 

What's going on with the Geek?

mamba315

« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2013, 04:24 pm »
I bought one, but they're not expected to ship until January I believe.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2013, 04:28 pm »
Yes, the market is changing.  Here is iFi's new iDSD DAC ((I've added it to the DSD database) for around $160.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=598808493488230&set=a.461191017249979.95398.460963790606035&type=1&theater

mgalusha

« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2013, 06:18 pm »
Nicely done interview John!

I ran into Gavin at RMAF last Saturday and had the pleasure of spending about 15 or 20 minutes chatting with him. He comes across in John's interview just as he does in person, a very affable, knowledgeable and passionate guy. I didn't get to listen to the prototype but I did have a look at it and fondle, seems well thought out though Gavin did mention some slight, purely external changes between the proto and the production version. Really looking forward to playing with this in a few months.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:25 pm »
It is really not that big a deal to offer DSD/384…  IMO, what the GEEK offers is unique power management, output stage design, and less processing than most on the digital side.  They are going for a specific sound quality, and the ability to have enough power to easily drive some decent headphones.
I have very high expectations for the actual SQ of the GEEK…  I think Larry has really worked hard at getting some of the magic of the Da Vinci into this tiny device for those on the go…
And if you have never heard a Da Vinci anywhere, you owe it to yourself to try and get a listen sometime.  Regardless of how much one might have to spend on a DAC, hearing what is possible when price is not a concern can be eye opening.

jackman

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2013, 10:49 pm »
I interviewed Gavin Fish about the Geek - http://www.hifizine.com/2013/09/gavin-fish-on-the-geek-and-kickstarter/

He has some interesting things to say. And thank you to Bill for facilitating  :thumb: (And Seth for bringing this to our attention. C'mon Seth, get those new Virtue products out!!)

Nice job John!  Direct and to the point.  I look forward to hearing this DAC someday.