Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations...

advanced101

Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations...
« on: 28 Jul 2016, 08:37 pm »
Looking for some recommendations for upgrading all the caps in my Primaluna Dialogue Premium Preamp.  Great preamp, but feel the stock caps are the bottleneck.  I was thinking Jupiter copper but the size might be an issue.

Here is a picture of the internals:

nickd

Re: Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2016, 09:25 pm »
Go Jupiter Copper and don't look back. :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2016, 09:30 pm »
+1 on Jupiter Cu

I've ordered these for my new preamp.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:02 pm »
For the cost of Jupiter caps, you're better off upgrading to a higher quality preamp.

BTW -- the volume control is probably a weaker link than the caps.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm »
To the OP,
Yes, size will be a major issue.
It looks like you got no extra room for larger size caps and Jupiters' are rather larger.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm »
What he said.

For the cost of Jupiter caps, you're better off upgrading to a higher quality preamp.

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm »
Early B has an excellent point. It's very snug under that hood. I wonder if Janzsens (sp?) would fit?

Look into how much you could get in a sale and decide on your budget for your next preamp (assuming you wish to go this route).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:46 pm »

It's true an Alps Blue is very ho hum and will be a bottleneck.

Consider pure DIY, like me  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2016, 11:13 pm »
I'll third it, get a worthy volume control. The $10 DACT'S on eBay are absurdly good for the money. Poseiden has used a preamp (passive) with one, and liked it.

Caps? Maybe, but decide after volume.

I doubt the caps in that are terrible or anything, they are film

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2016, 02:48 am »
Looking for some recommendations for upgrading all the caps in my Primaluna Dialogue Premium Preamp.  Great preamp, but feel the stock caps are the bottleneck.  I was thinking Jupiter copper but the size might be an issue.

LOL! :lol::lol:  No shortage of opinions here :green:

I assume you like your pre, and it looks fairly will built.  The pot could be better, but you are correct that the caps are the bottleneck.  The "douch" caps are probable just one of a dozen rebadged metalized  SCRs.  They appear to be in the power supply, and less important locations.  They are probably OK there.  The tin foil Solens are not bad on the cheap, but there is a whole lot more to be had.  The tin foil cap is a larger cap, so it is possible that a reasonable value will fit in the output location.  The interstage is more of a fixed value, but they appear to be small values.  We are only talking about changing two pair here.  The Jupiters are likely the way to go, but I would like to hear your desired results, and see a schematic.  If a schematic is not possible, you are welcome to send it to us for a free evaluation.  You will only be obligated to return shipping.  We will tell you everything there is to know about it, and if the Jupiter or brand X will fit.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2016, 04:29 am »
Yikes! My apologies, Jeff. It wasn't till you replied that I noticed this thread is in your circle.  :o

Thankfully, I only wear size thirteen shoes, so pulling my foot out of my mouth isn't too difficult.  :duh:

Escott1377

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2016, 11:26 am »

I assume you like your pre, and it looks fairly will built.  The pot could be better, but you are correct that the caps are the bottleneck.  The "douch" caps are probable just one of a dozen rebadged metalized  SCRs.  They appear to be in the power supply, and less important locations.  They are probably OK there.  The tin foil Solens are not bad on the cheap, but there is a whole lot more to be had.  The tin foil cap is a larger cap, so it is possible that a reasonable value will fit in the output location.  The interstage is more of a fixed value, but they appear to be small values.  We are only talking about changing two pair here.  The Jupiters are likely the way to go, but I would like to hear your desired results, and see a schematic.  If a schematic is not possible, you are welcome to send it to us for a free evaluation.  You will only be obligated to return shipping.  We will tell you everything there is to know about it, and if the Jupiter or brand X will fit.

Jeff - I know you guys will often offer to solder RCA's, XLR's, etc, are you willing to offer the same for capacitors?

Thanks n advance -

TrueAudio

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm »

Would Audyn True Copper Caps be on par with Jupiter copper for less $$?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2016, 01:12 pm »

No disagreement here. Although depending on who you talk to which one of these upgrades (cap versus pot) would be the 1st? Difficult to say without seeing a schematic to be honest. And if it were me, everything would be reanalyzed including bias points, output transformers, etc....then suddenly you have a different amplifier! For me, proper circuit design is paramount, along with measurements...then and only then do you populate it with 'fancy' parts if needed. There are a lot of average performing circuits out there, caveat emptor.

I'm not much of a modder sadly, I have completely drifted into the 'build it right the 1st time' camp. But that takes a discretionary income that many do not have.

Thanks for your experience & patience Jeff  :thumb:, I actually have an AMP CAMP F4 order coming your way...I'm curious about how that circuit performs...but with some of my own twists thrown in  :icon_twisted:

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2016, 01:56 am by poseidonsvoice »

advanced101

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2016, 02:03 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I really like the preamp, just trying to get the most out of it.  I had an assortment of preamps at one point including a Mac 2500, MFA TVC and others, this one managed to stay.  Plus, I have a nice assortment of 12AU7 and 5AR tubes.

I agree the ALPs is a limiter.  I have to look at options to swap that out but still maintain the Primaluna remote functions.  Not a big deal if not I guess.
The size of the caps will be the biggest issue, not much room in there.

I reached out to Jeff directly to see what we can work out.  If I were to start upgrading I would just do everything that I could at once.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2016, 06:12 pm »
Yikes! My apologies, Jeff. It wasn't till you replied that I noticed this thread is in your circle.  :o

Thankfully, I only wear size thirteen shoes, so pulling my foot out of my mouth isn't too difficult.  :duh:

No need to apologize.  This is a public forum, and you are very welcome here!  I appreciate your contribution.  :D

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2016, 06:15 pm »
Jeff - I know you guys will often offer to solder RCA's, XLR's, etc, are you willing to offer the same for capacitors?

Thanks n advance -

We offer full service, but we stop advertising when we are busy :wink:  We never refuse customer requests that are within our scope.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2016, 06:24 pm »
Would Audyn True Copper Caps be on par with Jupiter copper for less $$?

You did not pose this to me, but I must say it is a budget consideration.  Especially when you compare ~$40 to ~$70 for a 0.47uF.  However, the Audyn does not touch the Jupiter.  The Jupiter is superior in rich harmonic bloom, and transparency.  While the Jupiter comes out on top in other characteristics as well, it is just simpler to say they are very different caps.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2016, 06:38 pm »
No disagreement here. Although depending on who you talk to which one of these upgrades (cap versus pot) would be the 1st? Difficult to say without seeing a schematic to be honest. And if it were me, everything would be reanalyzed including bias points, output transformers, etc....then suddenly you have a different amplifier! For me, proper circuit design is paramount, along with measurements...then and only then do you populate it with 'fancy' parts if needed. There are a lot of average performing circuits out there, caveat emptor.

I'm not much of a modder sadly, I have completely drifted into the 'build it right the 1st time' camp. But that takes a discretionary income that many do not have.

Thanks for your experience & patience Jeff  :thumb:, I actually have an AMP CAMP order coming your way...I'm curious about how that circuit performs...but with some of my own twists thrown in  :icon_twisted:

Best,
Anand.

This approach to his original query would be similar to instructing one on how to build a clock, when they merely asked for the time...  Otherwise I completely agree with only two exceptions.  The concept of perfection is vague, and there is no accounting for taste.  I think you and I are of the same mind here, but that is not everyone's solution.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jul 2016, 06:58 pm »
This approach to his original query would be similar to instructing one on how to build a clock, when they merely asked for the time...  Otherwise I completely agree with only two exceptions.  The concept of perfection is vague, and there is no accounting for taste.  I think you and I are of the same mind here, but that is not everyone's solution.

Excellent points!

Best,
Anand.