One more week of patience...

Guy 13

Re: One more week of patience...
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2014, 05:26 am »
Hi all.
I don't remember if I told you about this little problem of mine with my Crack.
(I am too lazy to go over all my posts)
but here it is.
I had a 50Hz humm with my Crack, is was consistent regardless of the setting of the volume control, is was lound enough to be annoying.
After posting some under the hood pictures of my Crack, the people at Bottlehead forum told me that there was one small 220uf capacitor missing.
After a nation wide inquiry, my wife and I found out that the capacitor had fell off his nest. I've use a capacitor that I had here and did a test with some jumper wires and the humm was gone, was a thing of the past, was no more, did not exhist...
Tomorrow, I will see the soldering master and he will make the installation permanent.
Voila. That's it.
One problem solved, two more to go.
(One - Decware SE84C+ one channel sick
Two - the Rega RB-300 arm hair size wires broken)

Guy 13

I also solve my Crack getting too hot for my taste
by using a selent floor fan on LO to cool down the Crack and myself.
It's like killing two birds with one stone.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2014, 07:53 am by Guy 13 »

Guy 13

« Reply #21 on: 8 May 2014, 07:56 am »

Hi all.
My sick Bottlehead Crack that needed to have a capacitor transplant came back from the emergency room and he’s now in my reanimation room or if you prefer; in my listening room.
As per the pictures below, you will see that the Vietnamese doctor did a decent job and most important, he did not charge me exorbitant amount of $$$ as many other doctor would do for such a small operation.
Soon, I will check the blood pressure or all the resistors values and then check the hart beat or all the voltages throughout the operated body of my Bottlehead Crack.
I will write up a printable and complete report as soon as possible.
See you later alligators…

Guy 13
Life without humor is not life, its hell.

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2014, 03:10 am »
Hi all.
I did full examination of my Crack and everything is good.
My Crack will outlive me for sure.
I still don't like the shaved off harmonics of my HD-650,
I wonder what other brand of headphones would sound better?

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2014, 11:47 pm »
Hi all.
I did full examination of my Crack and everything is good.

Not gonna go there... Not gonna go there...  :roll:

More seriously, I'm not sure what you mean by "shaved off harmonics"... My HD650s (through my O2) have very good high frequency extension when the source material  also has good high frequency extension. But it's not inconceivable that a "brighter" headphone may suit you better, especially considering what you have mentioned before that your ears have been subjected to. With the very high output impedance of the Bottlehead ( =120 ohms), you'll need to stick with high impedance headphones like the 600 ohm Beyers if you want anything resembling a flat frequency response (I'm wondering if that has anything to do with what you're describing?)

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2014, 01:12 am »
Not gonna go there... Not gonna go there...  :roll:

More seriously, I'm not sure what you mean by "shaved off harmonics"... My HD650s (through my O2) have very good high frequency extension when the source material  also has good high frequency extension. But it's not inconceivable that a "brighter" headphone may suit you better, especially considering what you have mentioned before that your ears have been subjected to. With the very high output impedance of the Bottlehead ( =120 ohms), you'll need to stick with high impedance headphones like the 600 ohm Beyers if you want anything resembling a flat frequency response (I'm wondering if that has anything to do with what you're describing?)

Hi dB Cooper.
The HD650 reproduce the full frequency range, but it's the little details that are missing, the reverberation, the ambiance...
They do their job, but without that liveliness.
Let me try another word from my English limited vocabulary:
They are dull.
I am trying to find dealers for Beyers Dynamics here in Vietnam, but up to now,
I was unsuccessful.
Last week I was at an Audio/video exhibition in Saigon
and there was that booth with HiFiMan and Audeze displays
and I spoke with the owner that I met at another show last year, he remembered me, but I did not remember him, anyway, I will go to his showroom next week to see and hear what could be the solution to replace my deception with some happiness.
Sometimes I think that I am so happy with my Decware/Omega 7F combo that I wonder why I have headphones.
My system as good sound stage, headphones sucks at sound stage and my combo as great sound with lots of small details and liveliness.
Flat response is not a priority for me, my system is far from being straight line flat, but I like it and for me, it's all about make me happy and enjoy what I hear.
I am not a perfectionist and I am not looking for the best of the best.
I hope I have answered your question(s), if not give it a try again.

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2014, 03:14 am »
Wow, our listening experiences are very different.

Have a friend who has AKG K701's. I have listened to them at length and while they do almost everything "right".... I just don't like them. I "respect" them, but I just don't "like" them. And I really tried. (I think his opinion is the exact reverse of this.) The K702 "Anniversary" edition, on the other hand (supposedly the same as the K712), I did like. You say "Toh-MAY-toh, I say "Toh-MAH-toh"... Guess it's a good thing there are so many options out there. Hope you find something that hits the spot for you.

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2014, 05:03 am »
Wow, our listening experiences are very different.

Have a friend who has AKG K701's. I have listened to them at length and while they do almost everything "right".... I just don't like them. I "respect" them, but I just don't "like" them. And I really tried. (I think his opinion is the exact reverse of this.) The K702 "Anniversary" edition, on the other hand (supposedly the same as the K712), I did like. You say "Toh-MAY-toh, I say "Toh-MAH-toh"... Guess it's a good thing there are so many options out there. Hope you find something that hits the spot for you.

Hi dB Cooper.
Before buying the HD-650 I did lots of reading on the Internet and there was so many people that liked the HD-650 that I said t myself:
All those [people cannot all be wrong,
so I decided to go ahead and buy them,
I even listen for a minute or two to them at an exhibition,
but did not realized that they were not made for me,
not that they are no good, on the contrary.
It's my mistake and I am 100% responsible.
Like you wrote:
{{{ Guess it's a good thing there are so many options out there...}}}
The problem, is that here on planet Vietnam,
there are very little authorized dealer to try before you buy.
As I mentioned I met that Vietnamese dealer that sell the Audeze
(Too expensive) and the HiFiMan (More affordable) but those two makes
are low impedance and therefore incompatible with my Bottlehead Crack that I would like to keep.
One more option are the Bayers Dynamics, but I have to look for the authorized dealer in Saigon.
That Vietnamese dealer that sell the Audeze and HiFiMan also sell the Stax, but those are for the rich audiophiles. :lol:
But I will listen to them, just for the fun of it.
For now, the HD-650 are sitting quietly on their designed by:
Audio 13 and Made in Vietnam stand.
Will let you know about my visit to the headphone dealer or any other new events.

Guy 13
Thanks for your post.
One last thing:
Even if a company sells millions of one model of headphones,
that does not means that model is for you or you will like it.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2014, 07:49 am »
Well the Sennheiser HD650 is, in my experience, the most veiled-sounding headphone to have achieved such a high status. Ten years ago it was called "one of the best" in the world by some respected reviewers. Going from my Etymotics to the Sennheisers was like covering the sound not just with a blanket, but a thick blanket.
This experience was very puzzling for me and quite a surprise at the time–so different sounding from others which were also highly respected, like the high end Grados, AKGs (701s, for example) and the Etymotic Research ER4S which were my references at the time.
I thought to myself "So, is this what 'high end' has come to mean–no highs!?"

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2014, 08:25 am »
Well the Sennheiser HD650 is, in my experience, the most veiled-sounding headphone to have achieved such a high status. Ten years ago it was called "one of the best" in the world by some respected reviewers. Going from my Etymotics to the Sennheisers was like covering the sound not just with a blanket, but a thick blanket.
This experience was very puzzling for me and quite a surprise at the time–so different sounding from others which were also highly respected, like the high end Grados, AKGs (701s, for example) and the Etymotic Research ER4S which were my references at the time.
I thought to myself "So, is this what 'high end' has come to mean–no highs!?"

Hi Russell.
Thanks for your comments.
Why so many people like them?
My answer, well, the reason many gives is that they are relaxing,
none aggressive and the same...
I want to enjoy the music, I don't want to fall asleep on the music.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2014, 12:03 am »
Guy,
I also was considering the HD650 but after I read in the David Mahler massive test that it have a small soundstage, I give up the 650 and start looking other phone at same price range and found the HE400 at just $299 and with a rich set of harmonics according Mahler informed.

Now it 90 hours breakin and getting better, the warmup now was reduced to 1 hour only and after install the velour pads and a new cable it sound even better, very much 3D as I like, but the sound stage is not giant as I would desire.

Otherwise it is the larger soundstage I have heard in a phones so far.
The original Jap Canare cable is too long and very thick/strong, but not the best sound.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2014, 01:49 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2014, 02:41 am »
To each his own I suppose. The HD650 has survived in the fickle "wonderful today, trash tomorrow" audio marketplace for over ten years, a phenomenally long production life for any audio or tech product, so they must be doing something right. That said, there are times- with certain recordings- I could use a little more highs. A friend who has AKG K701's (a MUCH "brighter" signature) borrowed mine recently and commented that he liked them a lot on studio stuff but preferred his 701's for live recordings. I can see that. So at some point I will round out the collection with something a little more "up front" so as to have some variety.

One thing that pertains to headphones specifically: Air is a natural high filter (which is why all you hear from that boom car a block way is thump, thump, thump). So if a recording was engineered on the mythical Superbo S-1 monitors (with their perfectly flat frequency response) six feet away from the listener, that recording  will sound bright on a hypothetical headphone whose driver also has a perfectly flat response but is half an inch from the ear. So headphone designers are faced with the dilemma that "measures flat" and "sounds flat" are not the same thing, and they have to make educated guesses about voicing. Increasingly, one of the things that "turns me off" to an audio system is exaggerated highs, which I find more and more common in all kinds of playback systems. Perhaps this is aimed at middle aged men, who might have $1K to drop on a pair of cans but whose high frequency hearing ain't what it used to be? I can't say for sure, but the so called "veil" actually works for me. Russell, I also own Etys and like them but on some source material find them... a bit bright. Fullrangeman, don't rely on anybody's opinion (including mine) to make your audio choices. "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink."

Think I'll go listen to some music.

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2014, 03:08 am »
To each his own I suppose. The HD650 has survived in the fickle "wonderful today, trash tomorrow" audio marketplace for over ten years, a phenomenally long production life for any audio or tech product, so they must be doing something right. That said, there are times- with certain recordings- I could use a little more highs. A friend who has AKG K701's (a MUCH "brighter" signature) borrowed mine recently and commented that he liked them a lot on studio stuff but preferred his 701's for live recordings. I can see that. So at some point I will round out the collection with something a little more "up front" so as to have some variety.

One thing that pertains to headphones specifically: Air is a natural high filter (which is why all you hear from that boom car a block way is thump, thump, thump). So if a recording was engineered on the mythical Superbo S-1 monitors (with their perfectly flat frequency response) six feet away from the listener, that recording  will sound bright on a hypothetical headphone whose driver also has a perfectly flat response but is half an inch from the ear. So headphone designers are faced with the dilemma that "measures flat" and "sounds flat" are not the same thing, and they have to make educated guesses about voicing. Increasingly, one of the things that "turns me off" to an audio system is exaggerated highs, which I find more and more common in all kinds of playback systems. Perhaps this is aimed at middle aged men, who might have $1K to drop on a pair of cans but whose high frequency hearing ain't what it used to be? I can't say for sure, but the so called "veil" actually works for me. Russell, I also own Etys and like them but on some source material find them... a bit bright. Fullrangeman, don't rely on anybody's opinion (including mine) to make your audio choices. "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink."

HidB Cooper.
Quote:
"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink."
Unquote.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The best advice, that I did not really followed, but that I can now give is:
Listen to the actual headphones you want to buy.
Not one minute like I did, but for at least 15 minutes with music you know and like.
Audio preferences varies a lot from person to person.
So much choice, why buy something you don't like.
There are no real bad headphones,
only headphones that you don't like how they sound to your ears.
I have been thinking a lot about what word would describe best the sound of the HD-650
or better put, how I perceive with my own ears the sound of the HD-650.
Veiled, like a thin blanket between my ears and the HD-650.
Up to now, it's the best word I can come up with.
This not only applies to the highs, but to the full frequency spectrum.
Anyway, I will pay a visit the authorized dealer store for HiFiMan and Audeze here in Saigon. (HCMC)
It does not mean I will buy something from him,
but that listening session  might confirm my opinion about the HD-650 veiled sound.
Thanks for posting.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2014, 04:21 am »
Guy,
Dont buy any phones from these dealers.
In the case of a HifiMan you must buy from Head-Direct(site factory) or Amazon.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2014, 04:26 am »
Fullrangeman, don't rely on anybody's opinion (including mine) to make your audio choices. "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink."

Right on, I knew I was taking a risk, but I see Mahler reviews was very detailed and precise.
It was a calculated buy that did well.

JohnR

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2014, 08:44 am »
Why so many people like them?

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, low distortion, also non aggressive treble. What you drive them with probably makes a big difference too. Some have described the experience as luxurious or something like that, I suppose a heavily damped room would be a more direct analogy.

But as you said, the best advice is to listen for yourself first.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2014, 05:35 pm »
One item for thought for your Crack... the Speedball upgrade.

Many report that it uncovers another layer of sound.

Guy 13

« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2014, 07:59 am »
One item for thought for your Crack... the Speedball upgrade.

Many report that it uncovers another layer of sound.

Hi SetterP.
I am quite sure that your suggestion will not add what's missing for the HD-650.
I've tried other headphones amplifiers and the problem is still there.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2014, 11:42 am »
Sennheiser is famous for veiled, from the introduction of the HD580 (rave Stereophile review) through the HD600 series. The Beyerdynamic DT1350 has better detail with the Tesla drivers, but has a very odd signature compared to the HD650. I EQ it for better results. The higher Tesla series of Beyerdynamic such as the T70 or T90 should be better yet, although they seem to have an excessive upper treble peak. I noted a treble peak with the DT770 88th anniversary edition, but the T70/90 peak would be greater.

One thing to be aware of: All of the 580 through 600 series cables eventually get micro-corrosion in the earcup connectors, even in dry environments. Distortion gradually creeps in. That applies to me as well as several friends I helped fix. All you do is unplug them, wipe and replace.

Hi dalethorn.
I would like to read more like your post.
By believing what I read about the HD-650
I was influenced and made a bad choice.
After more than 40 years of audio purchase, I should have known better.
I real way is to try stuff you want to buy.
Each person as a different taste, what's god for a person or even a 1,000 person, does not means you will like it.
Here on planet Vietnam they don't seems to have authorized dealers for AKG and Bayers Dynamics, that's why I will listen to the HiFiMan.
The authorized dealer that I will see also sell the Audeze
and Stax two makes that I might consider if I win the jack pot at the lottery.
My wife just won 500,000 that's 500,000 Vietnamese dollars or Dong,
which is worth in real money 25 USD.
With 25 USD I can only get replacement ear pads.
I am trying to get a listening appointment with the HiFiMan authorized dealer
to listen to the HE-400 which is in my price range, but again, there is the problem of a new amplifier, because the Crack cannot drive orthos headphones.
Anyway, I am not in a hurry, since my Omega 7F and Decware SET combo
sounds a lot better than my headphones.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2014, 05:32 am »
I don't think your choice was really bad - the HD650 is probably the safest purchase in hi-fi - the least likely to be returned to the dealer for refund.

But with Hi-FiMan I suggest you check the physical headphones very carefully. If you see the recent HE-560 review at headfonia, they had all kinds of problems and had to get a new sample. I think there were many that way, and were basically recalled if I'm correct.

Another big problem for hi-fi enthusiasts is the actual listening when buying. You're almost always in a place with much higher ambient noise levels than at home at night, and even though many people will say they can hear perfectly in the store, that noise floor will mask much detail.  Another thing that isn't very easy (or impossible actually) to test is the user in that listening situation at the dealer. You're in a different environment than your own, probably not nearly as relaxed as at home at night, blood pressure is up because you're in that place, but also because you're concerned about making a purchase mistake etc. etc. That adds to the noise floor, making the evaluation very difficult. But if you can take other headphones (and maybe amps too) along with you and spend a couple of hours switching back and forth comparing, that might help.

Hi dalethorn.
I agree with you, the HD-650 are not a bad pair of headphones,
it's just that they are not for me, their sound is not what I like from a pair of headphones.
I cannot return them for refund because I had them for more than a year.
If I mentioned HiFiMan, it's because they are within my budget (If I can sell my HD-650) and there is an authorized dealer nearby.
Of course I will have to listen to them first and also find a suitable amplifier from (Again) an authorized dealer.
The authorized dealer I had in mind as a nice quiet (Rare in Vietnam) showroom and I think I might even be able to bring it home for a day or two trial.
He sell HiFiMan and Woo headphone amplifiers.
I hope to be able to make a side by side comparison of my Crack/HD-650 and the headphones I will audition, that way I will hear right away the difference and hear if I am heading in the right direction.

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2014, 05:45 am »
Guy, try taking out the foam discs (reversible "mod")