Verastarr silver foil tweeter mod - Spatial's M4

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Verastarr silver foil tweeter mod - Spatial's M4
« on: 22 Mar 2017, 11:16 am »
Well, bit the bullet and ordered the 4 pieces of the silver foil wires to rewire the Spatial tweeters as suggested by Mike Powell from Verastarr in another thread. Included was a complementary, credit card size flashlight suitabe for us  tweekers. Nice touch. The mod did not take more tan 20 minutes for both speakers. The foils are in the order of 1/4" wide and are easy to solder and insert thru the M4's wiring ducts.

Installed them night before last, left the speakers in repeat mode for 12 hours or so  took a listen. It is obvious now that the presentation before the mod was kind of recesed. Now there is a 3D quality which is much more apparent and vivid. The soundstage has expanded in all directions with an added kind of lushness and smoothness I like. Recommended! Now I wonder about wiring the woofers!

harley.guy07

Re: Verastarr silver foil tweeter mod - Spatial's M4
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2017, 10:18 pm »
Was this Mod very expensive? I have the M3 Turbo S and would look into this at some point if the price of entry isn't ridicules. Where did you get it as well 

undertowogt1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm »
This sounds cool I like easy effective tweeks.I am interested in more details about this as well. Are you just changing the wire from the cross over to the compression driver? And the questions stated in the above post

Manolo

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2017, 12:31 am »
Verastarr site. Mike Powell, owner  is a member here. less than a $100. See the thread on the Music Audio Project Trio 15 comparison to the Spatials...

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:00 am »
Verastarr site. Mike Powell, owner  is a member here. less than a $100. See the thread on the Music Audio Project Trio 15 comparison to the Spatials...

That would be PureAudioProject.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144683.80

Manolo

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:04 am »
Yes, Pure Audio Project! Hey Don S, are you the same guy that posted a thread on your Ripole subwoofer in the AA forum?

schw06

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:55 pm »
   I feel terrible for not responding or posting sooner about this topic but I have been overwhelmed with work and kids. Mike Powell used my M3 Turbo S's to evaluate and tweak and he added both the silver foil as well as a Vcap teflon bypass capacitor to the HF crossover of both speakers. There is a significant difference in the speaker high frequencies sounding more "open" with greater articulation on sounds like cymbals. I was really afraid of adding silver to the system as I am incredibly averse to bright or aggressive top ends but there is zero fatigue with the foils. The speaker is a little less forgiving but I mean that in a positive way in that there is a greater sense of presence and finer delineation of high frequency information.
   Unfortunately I can't comment on how hard or easy it is to mod as it was done by Mike but 2 things are certain:
1. It's an inexpensive modification and personally I would put in in the "no brainer" category.
2. Mike Powell is a gentleman who is trustworthy and knowledgeable. I'm not sure why he's offering the mod at such a low cost for as much time and effort he put in the project. He clearly won't be retiring off the profits and is offering a great value for Spatial owners.
   In case anyone asks, I paid full price for the modifications and have no affiliation at all with Mike or any other agenda to push. I would certainly welcome any comments from those that do the modification and find a down side...I've had mine for a few weeks and haven't found any drawbacks yet.
David

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2017, 02:54 pm »
Yes, Pure Audio Project! Hey Don S, are you the same guy that posted a thread on your Ripole subwoofer in the AA forum?

Not guilty.  :lol:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2017, 03:11 pm »

I think that would be Jazzman53

Manolo

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2017, 03:35 pm »
I only bought 4 lengths of 39" silver foils, no V-caps. The bypass caps I used were the Vishay ERO Poly Film and Foil caps I had in my parts bin, which are very musical.
Later on I will scavenge my preamp for a pair of V-caps as bypasses I have there....
Now I wonder about rewiring the woofers!

jseymour

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2017, 02:50 pm »
I installed the Verastarr Stage 3 upgrade on my M3 Turbo S two weeks ago.  This is the complete silver foil upgrade with bypass caps.  I did notice an small increase in treble detail immediately.  Since then I have been doing tube rolling in my Schiit Freya preamp trying to find the combo that sounds the best.  Two days ago I thought I found the best tube pairing, primarily because the sound stage sounded the deepest, but also the treble detail had improved some more.  So to confirm this, I put in a completely different set of tubes.  The sound stage and everything else was the same, all great.  Almost no difference in sound.  I attribute the sound improvement to the new bypass capacitors finally breaking in and possibly also the silver foils.  It was an aha! moment similar to when my Yggy DAC had approximately 200 hundred hours on it.  So if you are handy with a soldering iron, I highly recommend this upgrade. 

jseymour

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2017, 12:41 pm »
I was asked some questions regarding this mod in a private message.  So I will add my answers here.

The Stage 3 kit can be found here:  http://verastarr.com/speaker-upgrades/.
It wasn't difficult to do. The main thing is to document where the original wires are connected to before starting.  I left the original bypass cap in place and just cut the leads because it was caulked tightly in the crossover and the leads are long enough in the new cap to place it next to the old one.

Mike Powell (Verastarr) told me that I was the first person to receive his production silver foils which have a clear sheathing over the foil.  The first (beta) set of silver foils had tube shrink over them.  Mike just sent me a roll of silver foils.  They were not precut.  But he sent more then enough for the job.  Also, there were no instructions.  I don't know if Mike plans to offer either precut foils or instructions in the future.  The lengths I cut were 40" for the horn, 35" for the upper woofer and 12" for the lower woofer.

You can contact Mike at:  verastarr@gmail.com/.  Mike is great guy to do business with.