Bryston Loudspeakers

SoundGame

Bryston Loudspeakers
« on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:32 pm »
There are a number of integrated audio solution manufactures.  By that I mean companies that design/manufacture: 1) source components; 2) amplification; 3) loudspeakers; 4) accessories - power conditioning / cables.

Bryston is currently doing three of the four.  The area where Bryston has not entered is speakers, though we know they have partnered in terms of distribution with PMC and am not sure if there has been some sort of tie to Thiel.

That said, would it not be wonderful, if Bryston on it's own or in conjuction with a reputable designer/manufacturer began to build speakers with the same ethic as their components.  In other words:

- Features as oppossed to quality differences in models
- 20yr transferable warranty
- Dead linear, transparent - true to source sound
- Hand built in Canada
- High quality control and impeccable fit and finish
- Industry leading low distortion (the primary weakness in speakers today)

I wonder if this is an area that Bryston would ever consider exploring.  If not, what would prohibit entry into this space?

Phil A

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:38 pm »
I imagine they can do it.  However, it is likely that their current space and expertise/manpower/tooling would need to increase if it was done in-house. 

SoundGame

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:43 pm »
I imagine they can do it.  However, it is likely that their current space and expertise/manpower/tooling would need to increase if it was done in-house.

That's all part of the plan for Bryston to take over the world....of audio..... :icon_twisted:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2011, 09:11 pm »
That's all part of the plan for Bryston to take over the world....of audio..... :icon_twisted:

James Tanner has my vote for Emperor :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2011, 09:42 pm »
Hi Folks - odd you should ask as I am in the middle of building some reference speakers for myself:

Its going to be a 3-way Active speaker - about 4 feet tall with two 8 inch woofers - two 3.5 cone mids and 1- tweeter.
Using a DSP electronic crossover and comparing that to a modified 10B analog crossover :thumb:

james

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2011, 12:36 am »
Hi Folks - odd you should ask as I am in the middle of building some reference speakers for myself:

Its going to be a 3-way Active speaker - about 4 feet tall with two 8 inch woofers - two 3.5 cone mids and 1- tweeter.
Using a DSP electronic crossover and comparing that to a modified 10B analog crossover :thumb:

james

Wow James - that's so interesting.  Could you perhaps give us some pictures as you make you way through the process and share the challenges and the learnings.  I think this would be great for the forum and who knows - perhaps this will get the wheels turning to have Bryston officially take on the challenge - perhaps with some prototype studio monitors to start?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2011, 01:28 am »
Wow James - that's so interesting.  Could you perhaps give us some pictures as you make you way through the process and share the challenges and the learnings.  I think this would be great for the forum and who knows - perhaps this will get the wheels turning to have Bryston officially take on the challenge - perhaps with some prototype studio monitors to start?

Sure be glad too - should have finished prototype in about another 2 weeks.  Making all kinds of measurements and i think I have decided what kind of speaker I want :scratch:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2011, 01:29 am »
Sure be glad too - should have finished prototype in about another 2 weeks.  Making all kinds of measurements blind listening tests and I think I have decided what kind of speaker I want :scratch:

The picture on the left is the early version.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2011, 02:43 am »
The picture on the left is the early version.

james
When you say "early version" do you mean a prototype of what you're building currently?  It looks very professional.  How did you get the panels curved and how was it finished? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2011, 02:49 am »
When you say "early version" do you mean a prototype of what you're building currently?  It looks very professional.  How did you get the panels curved and how was it finished?

Yes a prototype of the current version.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2011, 03:56 am »
Yes a prototype of the current version.

james

Seems to have a logo on the lower baffle - can't quite read it - what does it say?  What type / brand of drivers were used?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2011, 08:18 am »

james

Very cool.

Teyry

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2011, 10:02 am »
time & phase coherent ????

always had a strong liking for Thiel, Dunlavy, & Vandersteen.

Alfalfa

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:39 am »
Intriguing, but I think Bryston needs to wait for another X years until my current (partly Bryston) system is uto date and my bank manager is ready for the next upgrade!  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:53 am »
time & phase coherent ????

always had a strong liking for Thiel, Dunlavy, & Vandersteen.

Hi

The nice thing about a DSP Active crossover is you can adjust the phase and time on the drivers without having to stagger or use the cabinet in a sloped configuration.

James

vegasdave

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm »
Hi

The nice thing about a DSP Active crossover is you can adjust the phase and time on the drivers without having to stagger or use the cabinet in a sloped configuration.

James

Very cool, James. Sounds good. So, when is this gonna hit the market again? :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jul 2011, 01:22 pm »
Very cool, James. Sounds good. So, when is this gonna hit the market again? :D

Hi Dave

I have wanted to build a reference speaker for myself for a very long time now but I am not sure it is something Bryston would be interested in selling officially. God knows there are plenty of good speakers out there :thumb:

James

vegasdave

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2011, 01:38 pm »
Ok, cool, sounds good. Yeah, that's true.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jul 2011, 02:34 pm »
Designing, producing, and selling speakers would take a very serious investment on Bryston's part.  Re-tooling, factory floor space, R&D costs, etc.  It could work out, but as James said, there's so many great speaker companies out there.  I'm not sure that it'll be worth their time and resources to get into this end of it.  I think very few non-Bryston owners would seek them out.  Kind of like McIntosh, Krell, Naim, Linn, and Rega.  Those companies probably do well enough in the speakers department, but it's probably more or less a break-even thing than anything else.  Maybe not though, as most of them have been making speakers for a long time in relation to their electronics.

How about a turntable, James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:19 pm »
Designing, producing, and selling speakers would take a very serious investment on Bryston's part.  Re-tooling, factory floor space, R&D costs, etc.  It could work out, but as James said, there's so many great speaker companies out there.  I'm not sure that it'll be worth their time and resources to get into this end of it.  I think very few non-Bryston owners would seek them out.  Kind of like McIntosh, Krell, Naim, Linn, and Rega.  Those companies probably do well enough in the speakers department, but it's probably more or less a break-even thing than anything else.  Maybe not though, as most of them have been making speakers for a long time in relation to their electronics.

How about a turntable, James?

No turntables Stu - boy speakers are easy after turntables. :duh:

I am working with an engineer now and a speaker company that already exists so if I were to make the speaker available I do not have to create a speaker company (floor space, tooling etc.) . :thumb:

james