My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard
« Reply #40 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:02 pm »
Jason,
There MUST be a wired keyboard around your house somewhere!!  I have like 5!  or a neighbor?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2012, 09:09 pm »
Jason,
There MUST be a wired keyboard around your house somewhere!!  I have like 5!  or a neighbor?
No sir!

NickS

« Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2012, 09:43 pm »
FWIW, I installed Ted's V2+ version with a wireless USB keyboard/mouse without issue... then reverted to headless.

Planning to share my <most positive> experience here shortly once I compile my notes.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm »
FWIW, I installed Ted's V2+ version with a wireless USB keyboard/mouse without issue... then reverted to headless.

Planning to share my <most positive> experience here shortly once I compile my notes.
Interesting.  I plugged my monitor in and didn't see anything when I powered it up. 

I need a keyboard anyway as I have nothing here. Only wireless apple.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm »
Sunday OCT 28 UPDATE: STOP THE PRESSES
go here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110542.msg1147653#msg1147653

OCT 28 UPDATE:  Windows 8 tweaks (not recommended until you install production Windows 8, or if you are waiting until January, go ahead with these temporarily )

I will post my ( special thanks to Terry Hubbart and Chris Connaker) detailed Windows  8 optimization activity.   In the meantime Fidelizer is a great free optimization product; just goofy cuz you need to rerun after reboots, etc.

This Windows 8 Audio Optimization set of routines is early, based on Windows 8 Preview, and is somewhat experimental, meaning it won't harm your CAPS server (turning stuff off is good) but has not proven to be perfect yet.  Fidelizer STILL IMPROVES THE SOUND, SO CONTINUE TO USE IT!![/i]  If you try to run Update Assistant it may fail due to these tweaks!

Windows 8 Audio Optimization

1) In control Panel (Computer, right-click -> properties) go to Windows Features. Turn off Internet Explorer (it will leave some residual IE stuff, don;t worry about it) and uninstall nearly all other Windows "Features" including Games, Indexing, Search, Printing, etc.

2)  Then disable System Restore, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Windows Update. Obviously there is no anti-virus software on the C.A.P.S server.

3)  Remove everything you can from the startup folder (in Win 8 it's in a tab in Task Manager, which is found via right-click on bottom task bar)

4)  Unpin (right click, unpin) all the extraneous apps (yes, they now call them apps) from the Start menu , so you end up with something as stark as this (Chris recommended to replace IE with a much lighter and more secure Google Chrome, for those few times artwork is needed to be retrieved):

5)  Then head back to Task Manager and go to the Services tab.  Pick "open Services" , sort by name then status to get all the "running" services first.  Then, using the attached list, right click on those missing from this list, go to Properties and first stop, then disable each service (hit apply, ok). 

This seems like a lot of work, but doesn't need to be done all in one sitting.  The first few steps, however, can be accomplished in 5 minutes.

I have tested Fidelizer with these changes, and although not the stark differences as before it continues to improve the sound.  It is clear we are not exactly sure what Fidelizer does to re-prioritize streams, etc.  I will continue to use Fidelizer after each reboot.

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2012, 05:11 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:59 am »
A few have asked that I document the power harness wiring (Wesena power button to Intel motherboard).  Here it is (the small thin white cables included on the harness are coded in red dots and dashes to keep them straight).  Net/net, keep the same order and plug them into the green and red pins on the front of the motherboard as shown.

This rough diagram was cut n pasted from both the online Wesena user manual and the online Intel DN2800mt quick install guide pdf.

TJHUB

« Reply #46 on: 21 Oct 2012, 01:04 am »
Wow Ted!  Thanks for doing all that work.   :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 21 Oct 2012, 01:21 am »
Wow Ted!  Thanks for doing all that work.   :thumb:

You and Chris did the real work.  I just cut, pasted and added some cookbook-style wording.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:46 am »
I udpated the optimization post.  I am going to continue to use Fidelizer in conjunction with these changes (there seems to be no downside).  It is not as huge a difference but is subtle, real and worthwhile (nuanced bass control, better black background, more air).

TJHUB

« Reply #49 on: 21 Oct 2012, 04:34 am »
I udpated the optimization post.  I am going to continue to use Fidelizer in conjunction with these changes (there seems to be no downside).  It is not as huge a difference but is subtle, real and worthwhile (nuanced bass control, better black background, more air).

This is not good news.  I'll compare Fidelizer on my system tomorrow.  I was hoping I'd just be done with it.  We'll have to figure out what Fidelizer is doing better.

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:38 am »
OK.  Guess I got to go buy one.

Your local thrift shop will probably have a bunch of them for $5 or less.

goskers

« Reply #51 on: 21 Oct 2012, 11:25 am »
I am one who has been waiting the release of the new Mac mini next week.  Is the CAPS builds on such a different level that I should consider jumping ship??

The Mac would be a wiser purchase from a resale standpoint for sure.

All of my file storage would be via an external FireWire drive.

Thanks and good looking builds!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 21 Oct 2012, 11:43 am »
All of my file storage would be via an external FireWire drive.
You really can't do this if you're using a USB Dac. 

Also, as I just figured out, you also need an ethernet connection at the point of your stereo.  I do not have this so now this gets interesting... :duh:  Do I run one or sell the CAPS.  That's the question!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 21 Oct 2012, 11:50 am »
On a positive note though, the mSata is super quick.  Also, 8GB RAM does work.   :D

mgalusha

« Reply #54 on: 21 Oct 2012, 11:57 am »
Also, as I just figured out, you also need an ethernet connection at the point of your stereo.  I do not have this so now this gets interesting... :duh:  Do I run one or sell the CAPS.  That's the question!

IMO you should run one, gigabit ethernet is faster than a spinning disk and this allows no spinning disks in your listening space. Of course it means some sort of NAS. I use an HP Microserver running Windows home server ($49.95) with 4 x 2TB drives sitting under my stairs.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:01 pm »
IMO you should run one, gigabit ethernet is faster than a spinning disk and this allows no spinning disks in your listening space. Of course it means some sort of NAS. I use an HP Microserver running Windows home server ($49.95) with 4 x 2TB drives sitting under my stairs.
The spinning drives aren't an issue for me as I can't hear them.  It's running the wire for the CAPS.   :(

mgalusha

« Reply #56 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:04 pm »
The spinning drives aren't an issue for me as I can't hear them.

Lucky man, I can hear them, even 2.5" drives. :(

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm »
Lucky man, I can hear them, even 2.5" drives. :(
Yeah, I think it's because you sit next to the equipment rack where as mine are in the front of the room behind stuff. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:33 pm »
And for anyone doing this build here are some basic pics of what it looks like assembled.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 21 Oct 2012, 01:15 pm »
Jason,
Thanks for the pics.  You can remove that fan too.  :)