Another new Dulcet owner...

audioendocrine

« on: 6 Nov 2004, 01:45 am »
Hi,

my name is Roberto. I am an Italian guy temporarely working in the USA. I recently bought (used) a pair of R3A Dulcet and after few days I found this wonderful mailing list.

Reference 3A speakers are not imported in Italy and for Christmas vacation I will bring them with me in Italy.

There they will be driven by a ML 331 (with an ARC tubes preamplifer).

I have never read anything about these small speakers coupled with big, solid state, power amplifer.

What should I have to expect from this unusual wedding?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Roberto.

CMM

Dulcets
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2004, 07:13 pm »
Hi Roberto,

Hope you are doing well.  How do you like your Dulcets?  They have a nice big sound for such a small speaker.  I miss not having them.  Have you been able to try them with a tube amp.

CMM

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2004, 11:14 pm »
Roberto,

There has been some discussion of driving the De Capo I with high current integrateds on this circle.  Do a search for "Plinius and De Capo I."

Best,
Michael

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: Another new Dulcet owner...
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2004, 02:38 am »
Quote from: audioendocrine
Hi,

my name is Roberto. I am an Italian guy temporarely working in the USA. I recently bought (used) a pair of R3A Dulcet and after few days I found this wonderful mailing list.

Reference 3A speakers are not imported in Italy and for Christmas vacation I will bring them with me in Italy.

There they will be driven by a ML 331 (with an ARC tubes preamplifer).

I have never read anything about these small speakers coupled with big, solid state, power amplifer.

What should I have to expect from this unusual wedding?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Roberto.

The Dulcets will sound beautiful with a good solid state amp and tubed preamp.  You should be enjoying some glorious tunes very soon. :D

OwenMeany

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:05 am »
I gave them a good listen with a SS 80 watt'er. I think the Dulcets fair better with SS then the De Cappos (right now anyway). I am in the process of seeking out a "high end" SS integrated to mate with the De Cappos...I'll let you know if and when I am successful.

jtb

panderso

SS for Dulcet
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:04 pm »
I find the Naim Nait 5i excellent with the Dulcets, far better than it has any right to be at the price.  It renders the music in a very natural, unadorned way. I've found none of the excessive etching or hardness you might be concerned about with budget SS electronics generally.   That said, I will probably add a nice tube integrated at some point, just for fun.

audioendocrine

Re: SS for Dulcet
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2005, 03:42 am »
Hello again,

I come back to this ML after several months...

First I want to thanks all the guys who answered to my previous question.

Then, with a lot of delay, I would like to write a small report about Dulcets with ARC Ref1 and ML331 (with MIT cables balanced and a pair of 750HE for speakers) in my main system in Italy.

I compared Dulcets with a pair of Spendor 3/5a biwiring 11 ohm impedence.

Well, even if ML331 is probably not the best power amp to drive 3/5a, these old exceptional minimonitor sound better and better than Dulcets (except for the extension of bass frequencies).

In particular Dulcet lack in two parameters:

1) definition of voices and instruments: Dulcet have a very nice soundstage  (deep and large), but the definition and the focus of voices and instruments are really lower that 3/5a. With Dulcets is impossible to define the contours of each element and singer of a band. They sound out of focus.

2) High frequencies of Dulcet lack of transparency and clarity compared to 3/5a. The tweeter seems to be covered by a cloth.

For these "features" of the Dulcets I was really disappointed. I bought these speakers used from a very nice guy who also writes an reads this ML. I did not listen to them before the purchase, but I read a lot of reviews about Dulcets and the idea that I got from these was completely different from what I found in my personal experience.

In the next two weeks I will come back to Italy for summer vacation. I am planning to try to change cables with clones of JPS SUperconductor2 (both speakers and interconnects) which are really performing cables in terms of trasparency. If this experiment will not lead to a better performance of Dulcets I will sell them.

Do you have any comments or feedback about what I told?

Sorry for the frankness.

Thank you,

Roberto