Oppo 105....Yes I am ON IT!

modwright

Oppo 105....Yes I am ON IT!
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 01:22 am »
I AM aware of the coming Oppo BDP-105 and it sounds VERY promising!  I DO plan to develop a mod for it, similar to what we already offer for the Oppo BDP-95.  I don't when it will be available however, so it may be a while.

Thanks,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2014, 05:26 pm by modwright »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Oppo 105....Yes I am ON IT!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2012, 01:36 am »
Dan, you realize it is a full on USB asynchronous 24/192 DAC too.  That mod would be amazing!  But Elyse may not like it.  :)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2012, 01:42 am »
...... I will be anxiously awaiting developments - errr, patiently awaiting them.  :green:

Thanks for the response Dan!

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2012, 02:33 pm »
Dan, you realize it is a full on USB asynchronous 24/192 DAC too.  That mod would be amazing!  But Elyse may not like it.  :)

Hi Ted:

Does that mean a user with a computer-based music server could potentially replace his/her standalone DAC and simply route through the Oppo?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm »
I don't when it will be available however, so it may be a while.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Dan - the press release said by the end of the year so I'd expect they will have it at CES and be shipping them not too long afterwards like the BDP-95 a couple of years back.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2012, 04:11 pm »
Does that mean a user with a computer-based music server could potentially replace his/her standalone DAC and simply route through the Oppo?

Yes, that's what it means.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2012, 12:54 am »

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2012, 01:10 am »
This digital input does make the Oppo 105 and the Oppo mods mighty interesting....

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2012, 01:40 pm »
Thanks for confirming that it is a TRUE and full 24/192 asynch input.  This makes it VERY attractive to mod!

Thanks!

Dan

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:51 pm »
I also heard that the release will be sometime in December. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2012, 02:08 am »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »

kgturner

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2012, 03:42 am »
Nice. I just built a PC music server and was kicking around ideas for a DAC. Perhaps the BDP-105 is just the ticket. I get a much better Blu-Ray player than my Sony 480, a (possibly) high-class DAC, a legitimate SACD/DVD-A player, and (probably) balanced outputs. :D Can't wait for the reviews!!!

Kevin T

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2012, 10:55 pm »
Hello All,
 Could someone please tell me what this asynchonious usb input is and how one can use it? I think it means I can connect a laptop to it and get pristine24/192 music from the computer...This then, would also mean that I would need to run a long usb cable from my rack, to my sitting area where i woould use the laptop...So in my mind, that would blow for me..Could one plug a flashdrive into the player and get the same music fed into the player? .So I will ask you all to school me on this. I am planning on buying the 105 as an upgrade to my bdp83 se...mostly because of the balanced outputs, digital inputs and an overall hope that it will sound even better than the 83se. Thanks in advance for your replies and knowledge, Pete

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2012, 12:28 am »
Hello All,
 Could someone please tell me what this asynchonious usb input is and how one can use it? I think it means I can connect a laptop to it and get pristine24/192 music from the computer...This then, would also mean that I would need to run a long usb cable from my rack, to my sitting area where i woould use the laptop...So in my mind, that would blow for me..Could one plug a flashdrive into the player and get the same music fed into the player? .So I will ask you all to school me on this. I am planning on buying the 105 as an upgrade to my bdp83 se...mostly because of the balanced outputs, digital inputs and an overall hope that it will sound even better than the 83se. Thanks in advance for your replies and knowledge, Pete

Any asynch USb interface means that it is relying on the DAC's clocking, not the typically unstable clocking of the computer (which it then would have to carry to the DAC).  It is the preferred way to design a USB audio interface.    However, it relies on a source like a pc, Mac, etc...not a USB flash drive.  While a USB flash drive may well be allowed to plug into an Oppo to read the data, that is irrelevant/moot when speaking about how to use an asynch DAC. 

A USB cable should not be too long (1M is good, 5M is pushing it).

wilsynet

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2012, 03:56 am »
I think it means I can connect a laptop to it and get pristine24/192 music from the computer...This then, would also mean that I would need to run a long usb cable from my rack, to my sitting area where i woould use the laptop

Yup, that's what it means.  Although I think 16ft is the maximum USB cable length.

The typical use case is that someone puts the computer on the rack and uses a remote control like a the Apple remote, or something more sophisticated like an iPod Touch, iPad or iPhone to control the music playback software.  Although there are multiple options and solutions here of course.

Wilson

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2012, 06:09 am »
OK guys, thanks for the info. So, currently for low res music I use my ipod touch wifi into an apple tv that I feed into a cambridge audio 840c's digital input and I seem to get identical results as using a cd into the player...I use my oppo bdp83se for sacd/dvda.

The asynchronous usb solution into the oppo 105 would allow me to send computer files into the oppo and use that DAC for an assumed better DAC conversion I.E. better sound.

A modded BDP105 is a very intriguing solution for me. I hope I can wait that long for the modded version to come out..Thanks, Pete

SoCalWJS

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2012, 12:49 am »
They've released the EU version owners manual with more info. Looking pretty good!

http://oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20user%20manual_V1.0.pdf

Supposedly the US version is very similar. Looks like it's aimed at Apple users for the DAC, but you can download PC drivers. :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:35 am »
Checking it out now!

Wow, this is QUITE a unit guys!  I am pleased by the following:

Separate 2CH Audio PCB!
Separate digital input PCB for optical, RCA and USB (24/192, fully asynch.)
Taller chassis with no fan and passive ventilation.

There is a LOT of room for us to work our magic!  I am anxious to get my hands one one so that we can start working on our 'ABSOLUTE TRUTH' mod for it!  I have WONDERFUL things in mind for this unit!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

SoCalWJS