You Bryston cultists

gbaby

Re: You Bryston cultists
« Reply #60 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:10 pm »
Wow are you missing the point.

I am not missing the point; you are. I just care about the cover art. This is my personal opinion. Even when I was listening exclusively to CD's I never held the CD in my hand to look at the cover art. Its too small. As far as the Bryston digital player, the fact that it allows me to have access to my entire music collection at the touch of a finger is amazing enough for me.  :D

zoom25

« Reply #61 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:35 pm »
I took the plunge and bought Roon.
Now I have the best sounding streamer and the best interface(imo)  :thumb:

Congrats. Roon is the undisputed champ when it comes to interface.

The best thing is that when Roon goes into radio mode after the playlist has finished. The music never stops. When I'm moving around, I can use my Logitech Harmony 350 remote to control the BDP-1 and Roon for play/pause and forward. No need to touch a tablet or computer in those cases. Like a 400 CD changer.

Xinon

« Reply #62 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:40 pm »
I am not missing the point; you are. I just care about the cover art. This is my personal opinion. Even when I was listening exclusively to CD's I never held the CD in my hand to look at the cover art. Its too small. As far as the Bryston digital player, the fact that it allows me to have access to my entire music collection at the touch of a finger is amazing enough for me.  :D

Have you tried other apps, like Lumin or Lightning (Auralic), and experienced how much faster and smoother they work overall, and specially in Tidal, (and how much better they look)?

Xinon

« Reply #63 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:44 pm »
Have you tried other apps, like Lumin or Lightning (Auralic), and experienced how much faster and smoother they work overall, and specially in Tidal, (and how much better they look)?

Thanks.
Should have done it long time ago, Im super happy now, it works flawlessly and look awesome.
I even think the sound is better, but its maybe in my imagination :lol:
It was costly, but worth every penny :thumb:

Grant Hill

« Reply #64 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:23 pm »
Thanks.
Should have done it long time ago, Im super happy now, it works flawlessly and look awesome.

Hi Xinon,

If I'm not wrong you still need a PC as roon core, don't you?

zoom25

« Reply #65 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:33 pm »
Thanks.

I also find the sound excellent. Better than all the USB hard and flash drives and Jitterbugs and other tweaks I've tried. Ethernet is far more convenient. It still requires a little bit of care, but is the best option.

I wonder if Bryston will ever consider a Roon Ready DAC like the Direct Stream with Bridge, since Bryston is going modular like with their upcoming BDA+BP.

I see a lot of demand for Roon Ready DACs.

Xinon

« Reply #66 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:34 pm »
Hi Xinon,

For now I have installed Core on my MacBook and also use this as a remote, music is stored on NAS.
Unplugged all drives from Bdp3 and set it in Roon ready mode, it works great.
I have ordered a NUC and planning to install ROCK and run Core from it.
It takes me longer to learn all this new stuff(Im turning 50 this year), but I get good help from the forums.
When its all set and done it will be worth the effort, and if I get tired of all the high tech, I can always go to my small hifi room and spin some vinyl :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #67 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:35 pm »
Hi Xinon,

Yes, you need a computer (Windows, Linux, or Mac) that runs the Core. The Core computer has the library and does all the DSP processing and decoding. Then it can send out PCM to various endpoints whether it's a DAC connected to the same computer through USB or a BDP on the network via ethernet.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #68 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:43 pm »
Yes, you need a computer (Windows, Linux, or Mac) that runs the Core. The Core computer has the library and does all the DSP processing and decoding. Then it can send out PCM to various endpoints whether it's a DAC connected to the same computer through USB or a BDP on the network via ethernet.

so the signal path will be much longer than a direct-attached drive to BDP with iPad-mounted UI, right?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #69 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:44 pm »
I also find the sound excellent. Better than all the USB hard and flash drives and Jitterbugs and other tweaks I've tried. Ethernet is far more convenient. It still requires a little bit of care, but is the best option.

Weren't you sold on Jitterbug a while back?  :scratch:

zoom25

« Reply #70 on: 1 Nov 2017, 06:00 pm »
so the signal path will be much longer than a direct-attached drive to BDP with iPad-mounted UI, right?

With MPD, you have to consider that whether you are using WAV or FLAC, the decoding will be taking place within the BDP, along with other stuff.

With Roon's RAAT, you are sending PCM that is being buffered asynchronously. All the switches employ store and forward where everything is regenerated as well.

So you cannot look at the signal path in a traditional sense like with USB.

In terms of CPU usage, when you use MPD with just MPD and USB mount turned ON, the CPU will always be higher than just with RoonReady running.

I find adding any kind of USB, even flash drives adds some hash. You'll get really clean background, but there will still be some edge. The best way to test is to listen to purely vocals or even a high quality interview, or a late show. I find that is the best way to tell differences with regards to any digital glare. It's still noticeable in full music, but easier to learn and pick out with isolated speech. Let human evolution guide the way.

zoom25

« Reply #71 on: 1 Nov 2017, 06:05 pm »
Weren't you sold on Jitterbug a while back?  :scratch:

I actually have 2 now. It's still a great thing. I use it to connect my iMac to my DAC for stuff like Spotify, Youtube, Netflix and watching videos on the net. In some situations it doesn't yield any noticeable difference, in others it can be quite obvious, and in others I've felt that it did more harm than good.

I still haven't fully looked into the Rednet stuff and other ethernet solutions that offer very low latency so it works with audio video needs. That's why I still have the Jitterbug for direct USB connection.

Although, when it comes to optimized ethernet vs. external powered hubs (from LPS which I didn't get around to...yet) with Jitterbugs, I'm going with ethernet.

There are multiple factors in comparing MPD vs. RAAT: ethernet vs. USB, power supplies of each component and their interactions, software and hardware path within the BDP.

EDIT: another thing to mention is airborne interference, especially with computers and SMPS. Use an AM radio and you can tell quite a bit about how much each of these devices put out and how they behave differently at various loads. You can hear all these things.

Grant Hill

« Reply #72 on: 1 Nov 2017, 06:50 pm »
Ok... But BPD's aim should be avoiding computers....  :scratch:

zoom25

« Reply #73 on: 1 Nov 2017, 07:17 pm »
BDP is a computer!...but I get your point.

If you want to put music on hard drives and plug and play, you still have that option.

Although, if you think about it, it's even easier than before. For me before, I'd have to put music on the hard drive and then attach and reattach to the BDP-1 when adding music. Now I just leave the hard drive plugged into the computer all time. No plugging or unplugging. Either way, you'll still be using computers in both scenario when adding music to the drive or NAS. With Roon, you never have to unplug.

You can still sit down and control the music with a tablet. Instead of using Soundirok or the MPod/MPad (discontinued), you are using the far superior Roon app.

The only thing that you need to do day 1 is setup ethernet, which most already have in the first place to control BDP-1.

Although, Bryston now has the option for external Wifi dongle, or internal Wifi, which even eliminates the need for ethernet cables running around. However, I haven't seen any feedback on that and how it differs in sound vs. ethernet.

I was considering the Wifi dongle for convenience, but that dongle is USB based, and I fear that it'll be adding noise back into the system.

James, I'd love to know if there has been any feedback from users with regards to SQ from either the external or internal Wifi option in comparison to ethernet. Since the announcement of the dongle, I haven't read a single report. Is it even out in the market?

dznutz

« Reply #74 on: 1 Nov 2017, 08:21 pm »
BDP is a computer!...but I get your point.

If you want to put music on hard drives and plug and play, you still have that option.

Although, if you think about it, it's even easier than before. For me before, I'd have to put music on the hard drive and then attach and reattach to the BDP-1 when adding music. Now I just leave the hard drive plugged into the computer all time. No plugging or unplugging. Either way, you'll still be using computers in both scenario when adding music to the drive or NAS. With Roon, you never have to unplug.

You can still sit down and control the music with a tablet. Instead of using Soundirok or the MPod/MPad (discontinued), you are using the far superior Roon app.

The only thing that you need to do day 1 is setup ethernet, which most already have in the first place to control BDP-1.

Although, Bryston now has the option for external Wifi dongle, or internal Wifi, which even eliminates the need for ethernet cables running around. However, I haven't seen any feedback on that and how it differs in sound vs. ethernet.

I was considering the Wifi dongle for convenience, but that dongle is USB based, and I fear that it'll be adding noise back into the system.

James, I'd love to know if there has been any feedback from users with regards to SQ from either the external or internal Wifi option in comparison to ethernet. Since the announcement of the dongle, I haven't read a single report. Is it even out in the market?

Sounds like you have quite the highend system, let us know your accompanying gear

zoom25

« Reply #75 on: 1 Nov 2017, 09:25 pm »
Sounds like you have quite the highend system, let us know your accompanying gear

High-end to the point that I can hear all the changes...or some may argue (rightly?) that it's broken or imperfect somewhere as there should be no difference in an ideal system. A balancing act. You never really know which one it is in the end.

Anyways, the system is as follows: Torus 15, Bryston BDP-1, Dangerous Source powered by Teradak 12V13A, Amphion Amp100, Amphion Amp 100, and Sennheiser HD 800. For AES and analog cables, I use Grimm TPR. For speaker cables, I use Amphion speaker cables that's used inside their gear, so it's the same cable throughout the chain. Stock 14AWG shielded cables. Belkin Gold USB double shielded cables, 2x Jitterbug.

_______

For ethernet, it's not fixed at the moment. Running some tests with 2 switches [D-Link DGS-1005 (non-shielded) and DGS-108 (shielded)], LPS (incoming), and cables: UTP, S/STP (reduced crosstalk), paying attention to grounding combination on all the ends. John Swenson is doing some stuff on leakage current.

I do have some literature on this. I might add it to my older thread later on along with the results.

_______

I think the gear makes some difference, but it's mostly listening critically, comparing, taking notes, isolating things one at a time for hundreds of hours that made far more of a difference.

But then again, my family members can't really describe or hear any difference between my nearfields and midfields, so I may very well be hallucinating to hear such trivial changes. :thumb:

gbaby

« Reply #76 on: 2 Nov 2017, 03:26 pm »

If Manic Moose was any faster on my BDP-2, I could not keep up with it.  :lol: I have not tried other apps as I don't have a problem with MM.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #77 on: 3 Nov 2017, 01:52 am »
Ok... But BPD's aim should be avoiding computers....  :scratch:

hey GH, i'm not sure that's the objective. rather, i'd say the aim is to maximize SQ trough the elimination of noise generated by  'traditional computer' playback.  and related complexities.

the 'external' computer is used only for controlling playback - and is the choice of the user.  in fact, the BDP is happy to play music all by itself without an app or computer to 'talk' to it.  i suppose that's what this debate is all about.......the listeners choice to use software to control the BPD.  again, it's the listeners choice.  :thumb:

TJ

Grant Hill

« Reply #78 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:07 pm »
Hi TJ,

got your point, but it's quite complicated to play music without an app - it's quite boring to browse the library with the faceplate buttons even for small/medium ones. BDP comes with a dedicated app which is supposed to work right out of the box, and apparently this is not the case (I never had the chance to try a BDP3, so I can't say much about SQ or functionality). son the listeners don't have many choices in the end  :D

I'd really wish to have it in my system but I can't afford an expensive digital player PLUS a computer PLUS another app/software like roon...   

GH

TJ-Sully

« Reply #79 on: 3 Nov 2017, 09:38 pm »
Hi GH, do you have a BDP player? The interface (MPD) actually does work right out of the box - she just ain't pretty -  but it sounds devine. You really don't 'need' a computer - just any old device that's connected to the internet. and you're good to go! :thumb:
TJ