The World's Number One Audiophile

Brian Walsh

Re: The World's Number One Audiophile
« Reply #60 on: 13 Dec 2007, 05:54 am »
I'm not impressed or unimpressed by the guys stuff.
Merely intrigued by someone who has amassed so much.

Take it however you'd like.

Ditto with regard to the equipment, little if any of which appeals to me sonically.
But I'd be interested to know what's in his record collection.

TONEPUB

« Reply #61 on: 13 Dec 2007, 05:58 am »
I take that back, as a MartinLogan owner, I would like to see and
hear those Statements, never got to give those a listen...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #62 on: 13 Dec 2007, 10:00 am »
Saying "I'm not impressed" isn't a diss, its just not supportive.

Saying that "I'm more impressed with those who design/build audio equipment or are musical performers" doesn't exclude those who don't/aren't.  I've assembled two kits and built speakers from plans/parts, so I hardly qualify on those counts.  But its obvious (to me at least) that if you have that level of involvement with equipment/music, you could have a deeper appreciation.

Owning all that equipment (or 100 Porsches) is unfathomable to me.  Just don't understand why (other than an investment).  Just me, but I just don't "get" private collections of anything (more than you can use/enjoy).

Besides its my opinion, and unless AC has turned into a bully's playground, it should be OK to express opinions.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #63 on: 13 Dec 2007, 10:09 am »
I don't know if Mr. Li is the " World's Number One Audiophile "......but he sure would make a great "loanwolf".....he's got plenty of equipment to loan out for a listen.... 8)

BrianM

« Reply #64 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:05 pm »

Sorry, guess the mood struck me to fisk this one.  Cheers!  :)

Just sounds like another grumpy have not, feeling the need to rain on someone
else's deal.

It's like Gene Simmons said: "I'll let you know when I have enough money"

The mood just struck to to write a rebuttal.  Cheers :)

When you're citing the wisdom and maturity of Gene Simmons to bolster your "rebuttal" it's probably time to admit you don't really have one.

"It's like the world's biggest overgrown adolescent narcissist once said: 'Everybody can go fuck themselves!'"  Great rebuttal!   :thumb:

I'm not raining on anyone.  We just disagree.  You think Mr. Li must be the paragon of audiophile intrigue, and I think he must be a silly, silly man.  I'm comfortable, and not at all grumpy, with that.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 01:11 pm by BrianM »

Housteau

« Reply #65 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:22 pm »
Computer-based audio might help him a lot, he could navigate his collection easily from multiple systems. He'd have to hire even more minions to rip his collection though - and have his own data centre :-)
Darren

It definitely would, but that might be missing the point.  Sometimes listening to music is a process, and part of that process is the lifting and opening of a CD case, or the sliding out of an LP, etc.  I can appreciate the computer based source and I am working on one of my own, but personally I still prefer the hands on approach.  It is almost a ritual with me.  Then once again, this has a lot to do with how one actually listens to their music.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 02:48 pm by Housteau »

Brian Walsh

« Reply #66 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:32 am »
I take that back, as a MartinLogan owner, I would like to see and
hear those Statements, never got to give those a listen...

You haven't missed anything. I attended a press demonstration of them years ago when they were introduced along with the 600 lb. Krell Master Reference amps in a huge room off site at the time of CES in Las Vegas, presented by Gayle Sanders and Dan D'Agostino. Powerful but that's it, and like the other M-L models not well integrated and glary as hell. No involvement in the music one iota. Just big phallic symbols. I don't have a problem with big and expensive, but if you're gonna do it get it right, really right.