ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1320 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:53 pm »
Nooby tube question.  The MW transporter uses 2 tubes from the 6cG7/6FQ7/6BG7/6BQ7/6N1P/6h30 family.  How does one know that the Shuguang Treasure Black Bottle CV-181Z is compatible? 

Ummm...Dan said so a few posts ago.   :wink:

George

dminches

« Reply #1321 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm »
But Phil bought them before Dan said so.   :?

George

Bigfish

« Reply #1322 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:59 pm »
Nooby tube question.  The MW transporter uses 2 tubes from the 6cG7/6FQ7/6BG7/6BQ7/6N1P/6h30 family.  How does one know that the Shuguang Treasure Black Bottle CV-181Z is compatible?  In general, how does one know which tubes will work with each component?  There seem to be so many variations of tubes, like for 5AR4 rectifiers.

The new ModWright Transporters come with 6SN7 Tube Sockets.  Those of us that have the older ModWright Transporters use adapters that fit into the 6CG7Sockets that allow use of the 6SN7 tubes. 

You can tube roll to your hearts desire with the ModWright Transporter.  As previously reported many of us have rolled numerous combinations of tubes.  First of all, different Rectifiers impact the sound quality and a majority of us longer term owners have settled on the Emission Labs 5U4G Mesh as our favorite.  Up until recently most of us had settled on the the Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates as our favorite signal or power tubes.  Most recently two or three of us have replaced the Tung-Sol Round Plates with the Black Treasures and are happy with the results.  If you read through the recent posts you will see one from Dan Wright were he approves the use of the Black Treasures in the Transporter.

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #1323 on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:03 pm »
What happened was I bought a pair and had Grant Fidelity send them to Dan first in order for him to test them.  Dan tested them under load in the TP, gave them the green light and listened to them in his office before forwarding to me.  We did this to clarify the compatibility with the TP and clear up any confusion.   

My understanding is that they are really 6SN7's but mislabeled.

All I know is they sound great!

dminches

« Reply #1324 on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:20 pm »
Thanks for all the tips.

How do you deal with mixing and matching tubes when you have multiple tube components in the signal path?  I have a MW transporter hooked up to a MW 9.0SWL SE pre.  I assumed I don't want to have the same rectifier in both.

Bigfish

« Reply #1325 on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:33 pm »
Thanks for all the tips.

How do you deal with mixing and matching tubes when you have multiple tube components in the signal path?  I have a MW transporter hooked up to a MW 9.0SWL SE pre.  I assumed I don't want to have the same rectifier in both.

The following was posted by Phillistine earlier:

Randy, I've got an EML in my Transporter and have tried a second in my 36.5 - my initial reaction is that having two EML's can push the overall sound towards being too full and bloated.  I recall Ted and Rydenfan had a similar experience.  You might want to check with them first!
Phil

funkmonkey

« Reply #1326 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:40 am »
Nooby tube question.  The MW transporter uses 2 tubes from the 6cG7/6FQ7/6BG7/6BQ7/6N1P/6h30 family.  How does one know that the Shuguang Treasure Black Bottle CV-181Z is compatible?  In general, how does one know which tubes will work with each component?  There seem to be so many variations of tubes, like for 5AR4 rectifiers.

George

I gotta post 'cause I like this response so much  :thumb:  Ultimately I think it gets down to a range of acceptable/comparable voltage output and some other electronic stuff that I do not understand.  Honestly, I am at a bit of a loss on this as well, along with any reason that I have been discouraged from rolling in the LS-36.5.  Short answer for me is that the Transporter is not quite as "picky" about what tubes it can use...

Oh, and uh...  thanks a lot for making me want to try the "new hotness"  :D

mikel51

« Reply #1327 on: 4 Jan 2010, 04:09 am »
I had to break down and order a pair of Black Treasures myself.

dminches

« Reply #1328 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:21 pm »
Are the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTs different than the TS 6SN7s?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1329 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:25 pm »
Are the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTs different than the TS 6SN7s?

Here is a good document on 6SN7 tubes:

http://www.tubeseller.com/ratings.php?osCsid=778a1ab5ebb8e17ec8a55838cc326582

George

dminches

« Reply #1330 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:42 pm »
That doesn't seem to discuss the TS 6SN7GTs although it does discuss only manufacturer's GTs.  It seems like the TS 6SN7s are hard to find (for purchase).

dminches

« Reply #1331 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:54 pm »
Brian from the TubeDepot says that the TS 6SN7s and the TS 6SN7GTs are the same.  They are selling them for $80 each.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1332 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:06 pm »
Brian from the TubeDepot says that the TS 6SN7s and the TS 6SN7GTs are the same.  They are selling them for $80 each.

But those aren't the Round Plates that we love and use.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1333 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:14 pm »
Check out the video that Brent put together on his website:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

George

dminches

« Reply #1334 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:35 pm »
But those aren't the Round Plates that we love and use.

George

It's all confusing!  His description says "Tungsol 6SN7GT Round Plate."  I'll watch the video on audiotubes.com to learn more.

http://www.tubedepot.com/pa-6sn7gt-9.html

Bigfish

« Reply #1335 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:59 pm »
It's all confusing!  His description says "Tungsol 6SN7GT Round Plate."  I'll watch the video on audiotubes.com to learn more.

http://www.tubedepot.com/pa-6sn7gt-9.html

This is a pair of Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates for Sale and many of us purchased from this particular seller last year: http://cgi.ebay.com/VT231-TUNG-SOL-6SN7-ROUND-PLATE-CTL-6SN7GT-WWII-NOS-NIB_W0QQitemZ110469300944QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item19b87bc2d0
You will be very lucky to purchase a pair of Tung-Sol Round Plates in excellent condition for less than $300.00 per pair.  The link George provided is an excellent overview of the 6SN7 Tubes.  You will find that the 6SN7 tubes that rate highly on that list tend to be rare and expensive!

Good Luck,

Ken

mikel51

« Reply #1336 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:42 am »
IMHO the mouse ear tung sols sound very similar to the round plates....I have a pair of round plates purchased from the seller noted by Ken.  I'm curious if anyone else has made this comparison.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-matched-1952-53-Tung-Sol-Micky-Mouse-6SN7-GT-tubes_W0QQitemZ360216872278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item53de994556

I don't think I would buy this pair (not closely enough matched, and cracked base) but the picture is pretty good.  I think you can get a really good pair of them in the $80 range if you keep your eyes open.

browellm

« Reply #1337 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:16 pm »
Say hi to your newest MWT owner from the UK.

I just ordered a set of Treasures from the local distributor to replace the stock 6SN7's, looking forward to the results  :thumb:

The EML tube is a tricky one.  That's going to need a new rack  :icon_lol:

Philistine

« Reply #1338 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:09 pm »
Say hi to your newest MWT owner from the UK.

I just ordered a set of Treasures from the local distributor to replace the stock 6SN7's, looking forward to the results  :thumb:

The EML tube is a tricky one.  That's going to need a new rack  :icon_lol:

Welcome to the forum - there's a couple of Brits here, myself and ownenmd, we intended to take back the colony but decided it's so messed up it ain't worth having!
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Treasures, the EML is a huge tube so yes it does need another rack space.  I'll post a photograph later to give an idea of the size.
Keep in touch on your Treasure findings...

jriggy

« Reply #1339 on: 5 Jan 2010, 08:11 pm »
You will be very lucky to purchase a pair of Tung-Sol Round Plates in excellent condition for less than $300.00 per pair.

Add another $50 or so to that and you would still be lucky!