The NFL Season, 17-18

bummrush

Re: The NFL Season, 17-18
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2017, 09:01 pm »
No kidding about the show oating. One yard gain by the losing team and a player brags. Wtf. If i was coach its old school ,,,,none of it.

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2017, 09:21 pm »
Anyone catch that Monday night game???

Yes.  Was pleasantly surprised that the Lions played as well as they did.  The officiating was pretty poor, but the Lions did outplay the Giants.

The next game against the Falcons will be a real test. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2017, 09:52 pm »
A good game is one where both teams play with skill for the entire game. So an error filled close game is not a good game, nor is a game where one team easily wins the first half and the other team wins the second half.
Have to disagree on your last point. The most recent Super Bowl went entirely to the Falcons in the first half but turned into a Patriot show in the second half. I felt it was a great game.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2017, 01:17 pm »
Looking at it that way, the Chiefs / Patriots game was even better. (as everyone wrote the Chiefs of in the first few minutes)

fredgarvin

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2017, 05:50 pm »
NFL offenses are on a historically low pace. Touchdowns and points are both down from the same point in 2016, and the issue could end up going far beyond just one year.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/nfl-scoring-touchdown-problem/

NFL's ratings woes continued in Week 2, and Wall Street is taking notice, given there are fewer excuses for falling viewership than there were a year ago when Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were distracting TV-watching Americans.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nfl-tv-ratings-slide-worries-wall-street-1041187

cujobob

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2017, 08:27 pm »

Yes.  Was pleasantly surprised that the Lions played as well as they did.  The officiating was pretty poor, but the Lions did outplay the Giants.

The next game against the Falcons will be a real test.

The officiating was puzzling to me. They let go pass interference calls on both teams, let NY get away with hits on Stafford (the league's highest paid player) that were illegal, and let an obvious block from behind go by NY that led to a major defensive player getting a head injury. In the past, they were overprotective of the QB, so those non-calls really surprised me.

The Lions haven't played all that well yet and now two of their defensive starters are hurt. Their offense, which should be really good, is really not playing to their level of talent IMO. Stafford seems more in charge this season and the team seems to have good chemistry for once. It could come down to injuries on whether this team goes anywhere.

The Giants didn't play well. To me, as someone who only watches them occasionally, Eli Manning never seems in charge of his team's offense (the same could be said of Stafford in past seasons). They dropped a lot of balls they should have had. I don't see chemistry on this Giants team. Defensively, Jenkins didn't play, but it wasn't so much the corners I would nitpick on NY. The Lions aren't a really good run blocking team and they opened up a few holes I was surprised by. The defense didn't seem to play particularly well, didn't generate a tremendous amount of pass rush (except off of backup LT Robinson who played like garbage), and some linebackers missed assignments (from what I could tell). They could start playing better, but I don't think this is a playoff caliber team from what I see right now.

The Giants also could have been much closer by catching just two of those dropped balls which were right there for them. It would have been close due to a lack of proper officiating, though. This game, at home, shouldn't have been that much of a challenge for NY if they were a good team.

rodge827

« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2017, 03:27 am »
Good game at Levi Stadium tonight  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #27 on: 22 Sep 2017, 12:46 pm »
Good game at Levi Stadium tonight

Agree! I rarely watch more than 2 - 3 quarters of any game as most are boring. But even though I don't care about either team and almost turned it off immediately when I saw those horribly ugly uniforms (both teams) I am glad I stayed with it to the end. Very exciting. And to see an onsides kick actually work to perfection was amazing as well. A terrificly entertaining game.  :thumb:

Oh, and thus far from what I've seen of my dear old Lions, they are going nowhere this year. Another disappointing season in store for one of the most talented QBs in the NFL. Good teams will trounce them this year. Sad.

twitch54

« Reply #28 on: 22 Sep 2017, 06:46 pm »
Giants might have the worst O-line in football .......pathetic !

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #29 on: 22 Sep 2017, 09:45 pm »
The Thursday nite game definitely was exciting!
But it was a mix of the good, the bad and the ugly.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #30 on: 24 Sep 2017, 08:01 pm »
Big Divisional Win for the 0-2 Saints over the 2-0 Panthers today.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #31 on: 24 Sep 2017, 09:19 pm »
Thanks to DA BEARS! for beating Pittsburgh, while my Ravens got their asses handed to them. :sad:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 24 Sep 2017, 10:26 pm »
All the sports pundits wrote off my Lions...they almost pulled off beating the Atlanta Falcons!

maxwalrath

« Reply #33 on: 25 Sep 2017, 07:33 am »
All the sports pundits wrote off my Lions...they almost pulled off beating the Atlanta Falcons!

I feel like the competition committee is going to look at that game - I get the run-off in general, but that was a worst case scenario for that rule & a bad way for the game to end.

twitch54

« Reply #34 on: 25 Sep 2017, 02:17 pm »
The Giants left tackle (Flowers) might just be the worst left tackle in the game today. He's no more an NFL calibre player than I am. Perhaps if they could get him on 'Dancing with the Stars' he could improve his footwork ..........pathetic !

twitch54

« Reply #35 on: 25 Sep 2017, 07:51 pm »
so.........how did those Bills manage to beat the Broncos who the week before took apart the Cowgirls ?

Dave G

« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2017, 10:54 pm »
Speaking of games, what happened to the Raiders last night?
Their offense looked pathetic.

Randy

Nah, the Skins were just awesome.    :green:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #37 on: 25 Sep 2017, 11:41 pm »
Gentlemen, please, let's leave the politics and the relative merits of kneeling, sitting, standing or whatever during the playing of our national anthem during sporting events to some other venue.

In an attempt to unite our polarized nation and to bring this thread back onto track I think that one thing we can all agree on is that my Giants REALLY suck.
I'm glad I got an antenna as I'd hate to have to pay to watch them go 3 and out all the time.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2017, 11:49 pm »
Gentlemen, please, let's leave the politics and the relative merits of kneeling, sitting, standing or whatever during the playing of our national anthem during sporting events to some other venue.

In an attempt to unite our polarized nation and to bring this thread back onto track I think that one thing we can all agree on is that my Giants REALLY suck.
I'm glad I got an antenna as I'd hate to have to pay to watch them go 3 and out all the time.
Agreed.

So, how about going back and deleting the offending posts and issue them a warning via PM? Leaving them up just invites further responses from those who can't help themselves.

maxwalrath

« Reply #39 on: 25 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm »

I think that one thing we can all agree on is that my Giants REALLY suck.

Giants always have a tough time with the Eagles. After the Coughlin era, I feel like I can never count the Giants out, but that o-line and maybe that coaching staff are looking pretty bad so far.

I thought the Eagles had the division all along, but WAS has been trending in the right direction for a few years and they looked really tough this last game.