Current JRiver user considering Roon - please help answer my questions

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
If you have used both, which do you consider best sound quality?  Also on JRiver I can easily change tag info - can I do same on Roon?  On JRiver I have one touch links to lyrics (at least most of them using Songmeanings), images, Wiki, and Youtube for the artists?  Does Roon offer this? Easy access to Wiki is really great, with in-depth information on many artists - I have learned tons of info this way.  I use a 52" TV for my screen and I enjoy reading about the music and artists while music is playing. I am considering setting up another NUC running Roon Rock.  I understand it runs a stripped down Linux and I worry it might not support the web browser needed for these things. Lately I have been giving up some sound quality for ease of use - heresy I know.  Any help here really appreciated - I am deeply into JRiver and switching will be traumatic, but I am considering it.

I.Greyhound Fan

I have JRiver, HQ player, Bug Head and Hysolid.  I can honestly say that JRiver sounds midfi compared to the others.  I have heard Roon and it sounds better than JRiver, plus Roon can be used with HQ player.

The interface of Roon is fabulous and easy to use.  I can't say how it compares to JR though.

charmerci

Why are you bothering to switch if the sound quality is no longer that important? Alternatively, you can keep both.

I looked into HQ Player for the better sound. I've stopped because it is so complicated to set up!

mikeeastman

I used Pure Music, JRiver, HQPlayer, Daphile and roon. The Roon Rock is  the best SQ and Is so easy to use that, as I stated in another post, my wife is now playing music on my system.  :duh:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
What I said was that lately I have been giving up sound quality for ease of use - but if both systems offer me ease of use, I'll always go with the better sound.

charmerci

. The Roon Rock is  the best SQ and Is so easy to use that, as I stated in another post, my wife is now playing music on my system.  :duh:

Oh, poor Mike!  :lol:

What I said was that lately I have been giving up sound quality for ease of use - but if both systems offer me ease of use, I'll always go with the better sound.

Ah, I just assumed that once you know something, it's the easy way to do something.

zoom25

Roon offers the best interface. As for SQ, use a separate network endpoint. Isolate with wireless or ethernet. That will be the best for sound quality.

Read this: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality

Tubeburner

Is the nuc with Roon Rock a one box solution if you don't need a server?

zoom25

Is the nuc with Roon Rock a one box solution if you don't need a server?

Hi,

If you use a NUC, you will need to connect it to a TV or monitor via HDMI initially for setup (You may very well know this, but a LOT of people don't here, so I won't work with assumptions). After that, you can run their stripped down Rock OS. You can have your music on a NAS or keep it simple and put it on an external hard drive and attach it via USB to the NUC. This is what I do with my iMac. I don't use a NUC or Rock.

You can connect the NUC to your DAC directly with a USB connection for the simplest connection. What others do, including myself, is to use an endpoint between the NUC and the DAC. In my case, it's the Bryston BDP-1. The iMac and Bryston BDP-1 are connected through ethernet on the same network.

After the initial setup, you can control Roon with a phone or tablet. I use iPhone and iPad.

P.S. I got an email in my spam folder which I happened to be checking for other things so got lucky. I'm not sure if that was from you or if it was addressed to me. It was sent by E****

Tubeburner

Yes, the email was from me.

Thanks for the information.

zoom25

Yes, the email was from me.

Thanks for the information.

No problem.

Hmm, I didn't get a message here on Audiocircle and the email went straight to my spam (which I usually don't check). I wonder if I've missed messages from others before (If I did, I apologize. It wasn't personal). I wonder if this has happened to others.

How does your message go to my SPAM folder, but not show up on my Messages inbox...unless you can email someone directly from here? Hmmm, I'm curious as to what you see from your end when contacting me.

Sorry for going OT. Feel free to PM or email me.

Tubeburner

I emailed you from your profile on Audio Circle. No issues.

Did you partition your hard drive and run a dual boot?

zoom25

I emailed you from your profile on Audio Circle. No issues.

Did you partition your hard drive and run a dual boot?

Ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know. I think I've turned it off now so I don't risk letting messages going to spam folder.

On my iMac, I have a 1 TB internal hard drive. All the music is on a separate attached 2 TB portable USB hard drive. I can switch Cores between my Macbook Pro and iMac if I'm traveling. No partitioning on my end. Roon runs on the internal SSD and hard drive, respectively on the Macbook Pro and iMac. I don't run ROCK. I use Roon's native application for Mac OS and it works perfectly on both machines.

With ROCK being Linux, you may have to partition if you want to also run Windows.