Cheap and Fast in Canada

2bigears

Cheap and Fast in Canada
« on: 27 Jul 2018, 10:29 pm »
 :D just now bought Elac 4's for 300 bucks to my door. Needed a small cheap speaker for a small system.  Hope it wasn't a 300 dollar mistake.  How the heck can they even do this for so little ?  Guess I'll soon find out.     Amazon got Me.   :popcorn  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Cheap and Fast in Canada
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2018, 02:00 am »
Have an audiophile friend whose an Andrew Jones fanboy.  Bought the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, which really didn't impress me, then the Elac B6 for his main rig, which frankly was the weak link in his system by far but much better.  Just guessing, but the B4 might be well suited for background or desktop use.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2018, 02:47 am »
 :D dam,,,,I was looking at the next ones up.  Almost same price.  200 more , maybe a little more.  Dam.
         :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2018, 09:41 am »
As I recall from a far from ideal listen in a tiny alcove at a very small but old pure audio shop the B6 was a sizable jump up from the B5 and only a few dollars more.

At least you won't be tempted to "settle" on the B4 for your main rig.  (Definitely the speaker purchase "B4" picking up those.   :oops:)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm »
It's only a 4" woofer, which is really a midrange in my book, so you might be gaining a bit of upper bass and midrange articulation versus the larger drivers at the expense of low bass.  Even though the specs say 48 Hz -3 dB, I'm not optimistic that would be at any significant volume and depending on what you're trying to achieve a small sub might be in order if you have the room.  Perhaps one of those little guys that give some umph down to the mid thirties.  Regardless, I wouldn't imagine you're getting hurt at that price as long as your expectations are moderate.