Harmon Kardon ST7 w/Rabco linear tracking arm

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Harmon Kardon ST7 w/Rabco linear tracking arm
« on: 31 Oct 2006, 05:43 am »
Hi. Does anyone know anything about a 'table by Harmon Kardon called the ST7? It's a really really heavy aluminum table with a linear tracking "Rabco" tonearm. The record mat is heavy rubber. My brother's gf had it in her closet and was going to throw it out, but he rescued it.

Anyone know what it is or anything about it?  I asked around @ AK and got a little input but nothing really definative.  Is this a popular 'table or just junk?

TheChairGuy

Re: Harmon Kardon ST7 w/Rabco linear tracking arm
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2006, 06:09 am »
Looks pretty sweet...all you need to know is here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_model.php?make=Harmon%20Kardon&selected_model=ST7

Enjoy the sweet sounds of analog, Robert  :)

John

Hi. Does anyone know anything about a 'table by Harmon Kardon called the ST7? It's a really really heavy aluminum table with a linear tracking "Rabco" tonearm. The record mat is heavy rubber. My brother's gf had it in her closet and was going to throw it out, but he rescued it.

Anyone know what it is or anything about it?  I asked around @ AK and got a little input but nothing really definative.  Is this a popular 'table or just junk?

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2006, 12:53 pm »
I heard the Rabco arm had troubles. I can't remember if it was design or maintenance issues.

W

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:47 pm »
You can do a search at the vinyl section of AA.  It is one of the more active areas there.  Seems to have mixed reviews.  I think most of the issues are with the arm.

Randy

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2006, 04:56 pm »
I had an ST7 back in the 70's and loved it.  I had a Denon 103 mounted in it and was able to get the arm working quite well.

The "touch" controls and led's were very cool, and with "straightline" tracking it "always" sounded correct, from the first groove to the last.

I think some did have trouble getting the tracking to work, but mine worked flawlessly.

Excellent find.  If nothing else it is a good E-bay item for collectors

As I look back I have had some Dyno tables:

Dual 1219
Dual 1229
AR - XA
Empire 598
Rabco ST-7
Denon DPL30 w/Shure SME 3009 series II

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2008, 08:39 pm »
If you think the ST7 was heavy, you should have seen the ST-4!  The ST 5,6,7,8 were flimsy by comparison.

IF the drive electronics and controls are functional, it is an OK turntable, but not worth putting much money in if the electronics are dead.  If the electronics work it will probably need a new belt.

What cartridge is in it?  IF you need a new cartridge, I would suggest a medium compliance cartridge as this has a good tonearm, not a great tonearm.

Another problem, if this is the model that used rubber rollers to keep the arm in alignment (ala the ST-4), if those have flat spots on them, the rumble could kill a woofer.  I don't know if repairing the rollers by

www.terrysrubberrollers.com

would be affordable for this unit.

Ken