Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2880 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:43 am »
While visiting the Nederlands (Holland), I had the chance to spend time at the "Apenheul" Zoo for Monkeys & Apes. This is my second visit, and Apenheul is one of the most incredible and special primate zoos in the world. It's set-up provides for "free range" living for over 200 varieties. Yes, the monkeys are walking around along side humans, who are also walking around through the carefully guided pathways! In most cases, you can walk right up to a monkey, if it will let you. You must be careful how you act and what you carry. For the larger species, they have very specially designed habitats that are guarded by trees, rivers & streams and camouflaged enclosures. This keeps the gorillas, orangutans and apes from having unpleasant encounters with the uncivilized humans who gawk, stare and act like monkeys. I've never seen anything quite like it.

As many of you enjoy wild life photography, I thought you may like seeing these images taken in the "almost wild." More available.

What is this?
    Orangutan

Proboscis Monkey 1

Female White Face Saki Monkey Grooming Baby

bside123

« Reply #2881 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:46 am »
I haven't been posting much but still giving my shutter button's a workout.

PeteG: Great seeing you post again! I always enjoy seeing your images.

Looking up, looking down? You decide.

jjdog2: I see that you capture great abstracts in addition to your spectacular animal and nature photographs!

Guy 13

« Reply #2882 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:52 am »
Hi bside123.
Those guys look familiar ?
Have I seen them before somewhere on Audio Circle ? :lol:

Guy 13
Very nice shots...
You are a pro.
Keep posting pictures we all like them.

jjdog2

« Reply #2883 on: 17 Apr 2014, 03:55 pm »
While visiting the Nederlands (Holland), I had the chance to spend time at the "Apenheul" Zoo for Monkeys & Apes. This is my second visit, and Apenheul is one of the most incredible and special primate zoos in the world. It's set-up provides for "free range" living for over 200 varieties. Yes, the monkeys are walking around along side humans, who are also walking around through the carefully guided pathways! In most cases, you can walk right up to a monkey, if it will let you. You must be careful how you act and what you carry. For the larger species, they have very specially designed habitats that are guarded by trees, rivers & streams and camouflaged enclosures. This keeps the gorillas, orangutans and apes from having unpleasant encounters with the uncivilized humans who gawk, stare and act like monkeys. I've never seen anything quite like it.

As many of you enjoy wild life photography, I thought you may like seeing these images taken in the "almost wild." More available.

Very nice, enjoyed viewing.

jjdog2

« Reply #2884 on: 17 Apr 2014, 03:59 pm »

Maritan

« Reply #2885 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:40 pm »
Wow. Fantastic pictures by PeteG, jjdog2 (staircase especially) and bside123 of the primates. The clarity is simply stunning.

As far as Chihuly goes, he has exhibits everywhere. I know it is going in Arizona too. I saw a little clip that basically indicated that he has other people do his work... I'm not completely sure how I feel about that, but that's a different topic for another day.

Here's another from the X100. The clouds had started clearing on our way down from Upper Wallace Falls in Gold Bar, WA and I was thrilled to see this:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2886 on: 17 Apr 2014, 05:42 pm »
Wow guys, we've had some amazing shots here recently.
Poster quality for sure...... heck.....National Geographic quality in a few cases.  :thumb:

jjdog2

« Reply #2887 on: 18 Apr 2014, 12:10 am »
Wow. Fantastic pictures by PeteG, jjdog2 (staircase especially) and bside123 of the primates. The clarity is simply stunning.

As far as Chihuly goes, he has exhibits everywhere. I know it is going in Arizona too. I saw a little clip that basically indicated that he has other people do his work... I'm not completely sure how I feel about that, but that's a different topic for another day.

Here's another from the X100. The clouds had started clearing on our way down from Upper Wallace Falls in Gold Bar, WA and I was thrilled to see this:

Nice shot from the X100, well done.   :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #2888 on: 18 Apr 2014, 01:16 am »
Flower girl...

Scott F.

« Reply #2889 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:18 am »
While visiting the Nederlands (Holland), I had the chance to spend time at the "Apenheul" Zoo for Monkeys & Apes. This is my second visit, and Apenheul is one of the most incredible and special primate zoos in the world. It's set-up provides for "free range" living for over 200 varieties. Yes, the monkeys are walking around along side humans, who are also walking around through the carefully guided pathways! In most cases, you can walk right up to a monkey, if it will let you.

THAT is incredible!!!! No cages  :o As aggressive as some primates can be, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable walking through that zoo  :oops:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2890 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:21 am »
No different than RMAF..........

JakeJ

« Reply #2891 on: 18 Apr 2014, 07:43 am »
^^^ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: ^^^

Guy 13

« Reply #2892 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:04 am »
Hi Early B.
That's a beautiful portrait picture, just like I like them.
Beautiful eyes, nice lighting and composition.
Do you have more like that ?

Guy 13

bside123

« Reply #2893 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:29 am »
THAT is incredible!!!! No cages  :o As aggressive as some primates can be, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable walking through that zoo  :oops:

It's really no problem, Scott. They've got this thing down to an incredible science with the use of natural materials and formations to keep the aggressive primates at bay: rivers, streams, nets, tree cover, boundary walls, etc. They understand the nature and psychology of each species and adjust the exhibit accordingly. Yet, for almost all of the exhibits you can either walk up to a monkey, or for the bigger ones, get closer than you ever been before... safely. Lot's of families and kids. We made it relatively unscathed, well... except for a gaping face wound and a concussion as a result of an encounter with one of the Silverbacks.  :thumb:

English Site: http://www.apenheul.com/

Silverback Gorillas Playing in a Sandbox

Blackmore

« Reply #2894 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:57 am »
Hey Din,

What camera did you take the monkey photos with?   They're really detailed and clear. Nice :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #2895 on: 18 Apr 2014, 11:30 am »

Briefly, this is nothing new. Famous artists whose work is in great demand have used studio assistants and production teams for hundreds of years. The most famous example that comes to mind from the age of the "old masters" is Peter Paul Rubens. He had a veritable painting assembly line going to keep up with demand. Many busy artists would do the painting design "cartoon" drawing, assistants would transfer the drawing, do the base layers of color and painting, and only at the end would the master add the final flourishes of detail. Today, many, many famous artists are in such demand they are overwhelmed and could never keep up with the demand for their art if they insisted on doing it all themselves. Plus, much contemporary art is so technologically sophisticated and requires so much specialization to make, an artist is more like a product designer requiring the resources of a factory and all that implies to bring "product" to market. Dale Chihuly's work is ubiquitous, it's everywhere. He'd have to clone himself a dozen times over and work 24/7 to keep up with demand!

Early B.

« Reply #2896 on: 18 Apr 2014, 11:54 am »
Hi Early B.
That's a beautiful portrait picture, just like I like them.
Beautiful eyes, nice lighting and composition.
Do you have more like that ?

Yeah, I have a lot more like that. I used to be into photography as much as audio a while back. 

jjdog2

« Reply #2897 on: 18 Apr 2014, 01:32 pm »
Few shots of the deer taken Sunday.  Blowing there winter coats and looking a little rough.

bside123

« Reply #2898 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:35 pm »
Hey Din,

What camera did you take the monkey photos with?   They're really detailed and clear. Nice :thumb:

Hi Mark,
I'm using a Sony A99 Full Frame Camera. Those monkey shots were taken with a vintage, Minolta 70-210mm Telephoto Lens (aka. Beer Can). Thanks for the compliment. BTW, I taught the camera everything it knows!  :o

bside123

« Reply #2899 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:36 pm »
Few shots of the deer taken Sunday.  Blowing there winter coats and looking a little rough.

jjdog2: Your "yard" must be full of deer to get all of these great wildlife shots. Do you live in the country in a rural area, or have the deer just taken over?