Nikon Df Camera

PeteG

Nikon Df Camera
« on: 4 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm »
For you Nikon fans, a D4 sensor (16mp) in a retro look body with matching controls. I don't shoot Nikon but this is cool as hell to me, I would love to try one.
16.2mp w/Expeed 3
39-point AF w/ 9 x-type (same as D600)
No Video
3K w/50mm kit lens

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Nikon Df Camera
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:44 am »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2013, 01:41 am »
It’s a nice look, but if I was looking at a Nikon body in that price range ($2750) the D800 would be hard to pass on.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2013, 01:49 am »
I find that Df quite ugly, not "classic" at all; seems to me Nikon wrapped a crippled dslr (no video in this day and age?) with a retro skin for retro-sake, not form following function. 

For my $2750, I'd much rather buy the Sony A7r ($2300), or even A7 ($1700) or Nikon D610 ($2000).  In fact, I believe this Nikon Df is DOA at the announced prices  :duh:

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:06 am »
I find that Df quite ugly, not "classic" at all; seems to me Nikon wrapped a crippled dslr (no video in this day and age?) with a retro skin for retro-sake, not form following function. 

I owned a Nikon FM (pretty similar) for decades. It definitely brings back good memories. I like the style - though I think there are just too many knobs and buttons on this thing.

To each their own....

It's kinda weird there's no video on it, I mean my $80 P&S has video.  :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2013, 09:01 am »
I'm a bit undecided about the look too but handling it will tell the story I reckon.

john1970

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2013, 10:49 am »
It’s a nice look, but if I was looking at a Nikon body in that price range ($2750) the D800 would be hard to pass on.

My thoughts exactly!  The D800 has superior resolution along with more advanced exposure and autofocusing.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:05 pm »
Beautiful camera! Price is $700 higher than it should be, though.

Steven Stone

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2013, 03:17 pm »
At $1200 to $1500 for the body they'd sell plenty - I'd buy one.

But at $2700 most rational photographers would opt for the D610.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2013, 03:27 pm »
I'd love to have one, just for the emotional/nostalgic attachment, and to make people think "That idiot is shooting FILM!"     :lol:

That's a different issue from value.    :duh:

And I couldn't care less about video.   What?  We need more ways to upload stuff on YouTube?   :bang head:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2013, 04:08 pm »
It's nice to see you can still buy a DSLR with NO video. My Canon has no video and I can still sleep at night.  :green:

Gene

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:11 pm »
This retro looking are great, make the current Nikon looking seems amateur.
The black finish are even more appealing.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:17 pm »

I'd love to have one, just for the emotional/nostalgic attachment, and to make people think "That idiot is shooting FILM!"     :lol:

or buy one of these and actually shoot film.  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2013, 01:40 am »

Or go to any thrift shop and find an old Canon, etc. with high quality lens for $25-50.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:42 pm »

Hey!

I'm that idiot sometime :D I still like film, especially B&W so I sometime would take my film camera out around NYC. I got the look and once in while people old and young would stop me and talk about my camera. :D

I do like the idea of simple photo only camera. I'm a Sony user and Sony is going the opposite way, with the E-mount and even with the A-mount... none of their DSLR even have traditional flip mirror anymore!

As for the Nikon Df. I have to say I like the concept.  And I can see why there is an "f" in the name.  But I feel that the Df won't attract enough people, especially at that price.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:50 pm »

Or go to any thrift shop and find an old Canon, etc. with high quality lens for $25-50.

I still have most of the film Nikons I'd shot with starting from about 1972.  Even have an F with the 250 shot back.   :thumb:

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:42 am »
I still have most of the film Nikons I'd shot with starting from about 1972.  Even have an F with the 250 shot back.   :thumb:

I still have my Nikomat purchased in Viet Nam in 1971. It's built like a tank.  I later went on to a FM, a FE, and a FS, i think it was called. I now use a D-60.  My Nikomat looks like the one attached  an all black model, definitely a cool camera. Even when I got the autos I preferred to use the FM, and it was only put out to pasture when I got the D-60.

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:43 am »
Hi all.
Since so of you are talking about film cameras, I don`t think I will be too much off topic if I post those two pictures of my fim camera.
Two Mamiya 645e bodies, one with a manual grip and the following lenses:
45mm F/2.8 wide angle, 80mm F/2.8 normal, 120mm F/4.0 macro
and 150 F/3.5 short tele.
Complete with U.V. filters, lens shade two extension rings.
The bodies cannot accept a digital back, only film insert (Cassette) for 120 film, (6X 4.5)
I shoot sometime black and white film. Kodak T-Max 100/400
So, am I completely off topic, if yes, send this post to the waste bin.
By the way, that (Mint condition) stuff is for sales piece by piece,
but preferably as a lot.