them guys from Pink Floyd !!!!

BobM

Re: them guys from Pink Floyd !!!!
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jul 2009, 01:24 pm »
Wayne - you need to join in the discussions over at www.progressiveears.com

Sounds like you might find a whole lot of music there to spend your money on  :thumb:

I know I did. Found a lot of great bands that are basically unknown elsewhere, like:

- Sylvan
- Magenta
- The Flower Kings (you might really like this group)
- Spock's Beard (the old stuff is best, another great one for you to check out)
- Crack the Sky
- Ambrosia (the 1st 2 albums only, but they are very special)
- Marillon (not for me, but lots of other love them)
- tons more, of course

Enjoy,
Bob

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2009, 03:17 pm »
I have 3 of those. Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Marillon.

I'll have to re-listen to them again.

Wayner :)

orthobiz

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm »
- Crack the Sky

Enjoy,
Bob

Absolutely! Crack the Sky and Animal Notes in particular are THE BEST. The first album is the only Rolling Stone Album of the Year not to go gold (or was that Pretty Things' Parachute?).

The vinyl on these records is to die for. Great packaging and great sound. They perform once or twice a year out in Maryland and I vow to one day see them again. I saw them back in 1975 at a little club in Roslyn, Long Island called My Father's Place, opened for (of all things) the Earl Scruggs Review.

Couldn't recommend this one any higher.

Smart music, everyone sings, greawt stuff.

Paul

2bigears

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jul 2009, 11:42 pm »
 :D  good stuff everybody.this thread is costing me a lota loot.but the tunes will be sweet i bet  :lol: hey Wayner,did you score a copy of Live @ Gdansk ?? i got new vinyl from Amazon ????   :D
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2009, 02:01 am by 2bigears »

Crimson

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jul 2009, 11:58 pm »
Being a hardcore Gilmour fan, I don't know how I missed this. Picked it up today at my local B&M. Thanks for the recommendation!

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:02 am »
 :D  Crimson,did you get her on vinyl ???? :D

rydenfan

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:16 am »
Being a hardcore Gilmour fan, I don't know how I missed this. Picked it up today at my local B&M. Thanks for the recommendation!

You will not be disappointed, great stuff  :thumb:

mchuckp

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:33 am »
Hopefully some of you have checked out GONG. Their best stuff was in the early 70's. Really trippy and amusing.

Check out:
Angel's Egg
You
Live, Etc.

You has recently been reissued on 180g vinyl and is to die for.

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:40 am »
The wife gave me a dirty look when I brought up the "other cool David Gilmore album", so it's still just a dream.

Wayner :(

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:41 pm »
Gents... My wife and I are huge PF fans.  I love the solo Gilmore / Waters live concert DVD's.
We never got to see the band live though  :( , but we did go and see 'The Australian Pink Floyd' last year at the Fox play 'The Wall' in its entirety plus songs off of DSOTM.  The concert was outstanding.

These guys played for David Gilmore's birthday, and had him up on the stage with them.

Now I started collecting their CD's and live DVD's.
Here is a link to their website... http://www.aussiefloyd.com/

mchuckp

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:10 pm »
I was at Starbucks in Cincinnati's airport last night and two female employees likely around 20ish were talking about a cool t shirt they saw at the store that had a prism on it. One asked the other what Pink Floyd meant. She had no clue it was a band. Went on to ask what type if music it was. 

It saddens me what the young folks are stuck with listening to these days for the most part. There are a few gems who come through. Radiohead and The Mars Volta are probably my two favorite bands in the last 10 years. Some of Radiohead's stuff is reminescent of Floyd. Mars Volta is just insane. True prog rock at it's finest.

Suggested listening:
Radiohead-OK Computer (a true masterpiece)
The Mars Volta-Frances the Mute (if you like extended works)
go with Deloused in the Comatorium if you like your tunes shorter. Both showcase their brilliance.   

PMAT

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:11 pm »
I was lucky enough to see Roger's "Dark Side" concert at the shoreline near San Francisco a couple of years ago. The sound was amazing and the show was so tight and so incredibly well done. It was the best concert I've been to. I couldn't get it out of my head for weeks.

bunnyma357

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:26 pm »
- Crack the Sky

Enjoy,
Bob

Absolutely! Crack the Sky and Animal Notes in particular are THE BEST. The first album is the only Rolling Stone Album of the Year not to go gold (or was that Pretty Things' Parachute?).

The vinyl on these records is to die for. Great packaging and great sound. They perform once or twice a year out in Maryland and I vow to one day see them again. I saw them back in 1975 at a little club in Roslyn, Long Island called My Father's Place, opened for (of all things) the Earl Scruggs Review.

Couldn't recommend this one any higher.

Smart music, everyone sings, greawt stuff.

Paul

Weird, I just was playing Crack The Sky's "White Music" the other night, after I hadn't listened to them in years. They were really big in Baltimore, but apparently nowhere else.

A few others that kind of give me a Pink Floyd vibe, though they are very different, so I'm not sure why they do.

Steve Hillage (was in Gong, who someone else mentioned)
Steve Tibbetts
Wire

Jim C

mcallister

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2009, 02:08 pm »
man glad i saw this thread. I'm a huge floyd fan/collector and had never heard porcupine tree ordered a few of their albums. Really digging it. They are very well recorded. Listening on LS9's :thumb:

About to go buy some more recommendations from this thread!! Thanks guys.