old Rock albums you can't live WITHOUT ,,,,

bummrush

Re: old Rock albums you can't live WITHOUT ,,,,
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2015, 10:58 pm »
Terry Reid Seed of memory

SoCalWJS

« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2015, 02:51 am »
Many, many good ones out there, but the ones that come to mind for me....

Boston - S/T
Styx - Grand Illusion
Dire Straits - S/T
Ambrosia - S/T
Rush - Moving Pictures and 2112

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2015, 04:33 am »
Many, many good ones out there, but the ones that come to mind for me....

Boston - S/T
Styx - Grand Illusion
Dire Straits - S/T
Ambrosia - S/T
Rush - Moving Pictures and 2112

:thumb:  "Nice, Nice, Very Nice".

Tarney Spencer Band:  Run For Your Life

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2015, 05:37 am »
Yesterday and Today: 1st album
Ted Nugent: 1st solo album (with stranglehold on it)
Legs Diamond: Underworld King
Led Zep: II, Physical Graffiti
Montrose: 1st album
Trower: Bridge of Sighs
Humble Pie: Rockin' the Fillmore
Joe Jackson: Look Sharp, I'm the Man
Detective: 1st album

so many many more!

brother love

« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2015, 02:23 pm »
tull skull,

Based on your avatar, surprised your list didn't include Aqualung, Thick as Brick, , Passion Play, Living in the Past ...  :scratch:

I saw (3) Jethro Tull concerts back in the day. They put on one hell of a show. Ian Anderson was a madman on the stage.

JoshK

« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2015, 03:47 pm »
Since this thread is vague about how old is old, I'll through in some of my favorites from the '80s and '90s.

Faith No More - Angel Dust
Tool - Aenema
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Rage against the Machine - s/t

brooklyn

« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2015, 06:05 pm »
Led Zeppelin II
Joe Jackson: Night and Day
Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow
Fleetwood Mac: Rumors
Elton John: Tumble Weed Connection
Talking Heads: Fear of Music

tull skull

« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2015, 01:00 am »

tull skull,

Based on your avatar, surprised your list didn't include Aqualung, Thick as Brick, , Passion Play, Living in the Past ...  :scratch:

I saw (3) Jethro Tull concerts back in the day. They put on one hell of a show. Ian Anderson was a madman on the stage.

I know brother love, I know, but that would be rather expected.....no?

Yes I am a Tull freak. In fact there have been several times in my life when I had "A Passion Play" completely memorized so I could play the whole album in my head while doing something else. Picking a favorite Tull album is like asking an analog nut which is the coolest looking turntable? It just doesn't go anywhere for me.

I too have seen Tull several times and I would put Ian Anderson right up there with Freddy Mercury as one of the greatest front men of all time. He loses a couple of points because he used to get into the music too much and would rock out with everyone else until his next cue was approaching. When he was on his game and totally in character though; "madman" is quite appropriate yet it was all part of the act.

I should have included Rush: "All the Worlds a Stage". The only album I ever actually wore out from playing so much.

mr_bill

« Reply #48 on: 25 May 2015, 04:04 pm »
I don't have any Tull albums - which album would you recommend to start with?

rocker9999

« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2015, 06:38 pm »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2015, 07:47 pm »
Since this thread is vague about how old is old, I'll through in some of my favorites from the '80s and '90s.

Faith No More - Angel Dust
Tool - Aenema
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Rage against the Machine - s/t

I wouldn't call 80/90's 'old rock'.... But I guess it's relative......

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2015, 09:55 pm »

tull skull

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2015, 11:06 pm »
"I don't have any Tull albums - which album would you recommend to start with?"

That is really tough Mr. Bill....

Let me put it this way, If you like jazz then I would recommend one of the 1st three albums "This Was", "Stand Up", or "Benefit". If you want to sample them at the pinnacle of their popularity, then one of the 6 classics are recommended;"Living in the Past",  "Aqualung", "Thick as a Brick", "A Passon Play", "Songs from the Wood", "Minstrel in the Gallery" are all worthwhile IMO :) I am sure "Aqualung has sold more than any album but that title track is probably my least favorite song on the album, being played to death didn't help any.

If you are truly not familiar with Tull then you might as well try Aqualung. I would also suggest War Child as it is one of my favorites.

During the 90's Ian Anderson's worship of cigarettes caught up to him and his voice paid the price and they sort of morphed into Dire Straits with Tull time signatures, so if that sounds interesting, "Heavy Horses", "Stormwatch" or maybe "Crest of a Knave" would be worthwhile, again in my opinion.

Today he can barely sing but he sure can still play well. Known for his flute playing, I would like to point out that Ian Anderson can play many instruments well but he is an excellent guitarist by anyone's measure.

I am sure you are more confused than when I started so just get Aqualung. They recently came out with an 500 year  :roll: anniversary edition that many audiophiles say sounds wonderful. As it costs serious money I have not gotten it yet but that may be the way to go as so many of the reissues sound BAD.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2015, 12:43 am »
Oddly enough, Tull had a Christmas album.  Still kicking myself for getting rid of my LP copy.  Very much like Minstrel in the Galerie,  low key but deep.  Not over-produced, more acoustic.

Was at a LP store one day and asked if they had one.  The jerk said "No, but I have eight copies of my own."  Thanks a lot, asshole!   :cuss:

mr_bill

« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2015, 06:12 pm »
I see that HD Tracks has newly remastered JT Aqualung and Benefit for download announced today.

pconley2

« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2015, 06:50 pm »
I see that HD Tracks has newly remastered JT Aqualung and Benefit for download announced today.
Stand Up and Benefit are my favorites, Aqualung (the song) has been played to death, but Locomotive Breath on Aqualung still pounds down the tracks, but when I need a Tull fix, I go to Stand Up.

simoon

« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2015, 07:28 pm »
I am almost fanatical about exploring and discovering new bands and music, but there are quite a few old ones I can't live without.

Some of these I very rarely listen to anymore, but they were so groundbreaking in some way or another, that they will always remain in my collection, if for no other reason that for historical reasons.

Here's a few:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound, Nursery Crime, Foxtrot
YES - Close to the Edge, Relayer,
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black, Red, Larks Tongue in Aspic
ELP - Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery
Zappa - One Size Fits All
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House, Octopus, Free Hand, Power and the Glory, Playing the Fool
Camel - Moonmadness, Snow Goose, 
Jethro Tull - Passion Play, Thick as a Brick

And there are even more that are quite obscure, that will never leave my collection:

National Health - Of Queues and Cures
PFM - Storia di un Minuto, Per un Amico
Banco - io Sono Nato Libero, Darwin!
Happy the Man - S/T, Crafty Hands

I could go on, and on...

« Last Edit: 26 May 2015, 09:48 pm by simoon »

Housteau

« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2015, 09:40 pm »
Here's a few:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound, Nursery Crime, Foxtrot
YES - Close to the Edge, Relayer,
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black, Red, Larks Tongue in Aspic
ELP - Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery
Zappa - One Size Fits All
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House, Octopus, Free Hand, Power and the Glory, Playing the Fool
Camel - Moonmadness, Snow Goose, 

And there are even more that are quite obscure, that will never leave my collection:

National Health - Of Queues and Cures
PFM - Storia di un Minuto, Per un Amico
Banco - io Sono Nato Libero, Darwin!
Happy the Man - S/T, Crafty Hands
Jethro Tull - Passion Play, Thick as a Brick

I could go on, and on...

That is a great selection and one I would proudly call my own. I would add to it with Renaissance (just about anything really), Hawkwind (Warrior On The Edge of Time, Hall of the Mountain Grill, ect) and several other groups as well.  I just loved that era and for me it was how I was first introduced into music in high school and semi-Hi End later in collage. 

The great thing is that a lot of these folks are still releasing a lot of new material that sounds as good, if not better than they ever did.  Have you heard the new live acoustic recording with Greg Lake and Keith Emerson?, just stunning.  And what about Steve Hackett?  This man must release more recordings than anyone.  The new release from Renaissance has Annie Haslam sounding just fine indeed.

Another thing that seems a bit magical to me is that if you never heard a particular recording, then it really doesn't matter how old it is, because it is brand new to you.  Magic is a common theme to me and my musical listening experiences, which can be easily seen by the artwork in my listening room.

There is another band I would like to mention that never got the full recognition that they deserve.  They are not from this era, but a few years later with their first release on the Atlantic label in 1983.  Their first release was the fastest selling recording in Atlantic history, the label of Yes, Led Zeppelin and many others.  It is the band Zebra.

While not exactly prog rock like the previously mentioned bands, they were a progressive straight rock combination and I just love their recordings.  They were one of the bands touring with Yes and many of the previously mention prog bands on that Cruise To The Edge year before last.  They are still together today and still put on great shows around the country.  The individual members also continue to have gigs around the country on their own as well.  I have had the pleasure of getting to know the front man and song writer, Randy Jackson.  I have also had the pleasure of doing some Hi Res recording of his acoustic shows several times a year as he comes close to my area. 

What I would have given to have been on the Cruise to the Edge and sat and talked with Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, John Wetton, all of them, as he and his crew were able to do.  Any maybe do some recording, yikes, what a once in a lifetime experience that would have been.

charmerci

« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2015, 01:34 am »
Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees
                           Mystery to Me or most of their pre-Nicks/Buckingham albums that have been played to death

I was going to suggest the obvious Surrealistic Pillow but JA's Takes Off is wonderful also.

rocker9999

« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2015, 02:01 am »