Dark Side of The Moon Experience Version

*Scotty*

Dark Side of The Moon Experience Version
« on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:35 am »
DSOTM Experience Version. I just picked this up and it is better sonically than the 30th Anniversary Edition. The imaging is more three dimensional,transients are better preserved,bass extension is deeper and it is more dynamically alive than the 30th Anniversary Edition.
 The second disc is a live recording of DSOTM performed at the Empire Pool,Wembley,London 1974.
This is a very good sounding live version of the complete album and it brings new facets of the material to light as well as preserving the energy that was present at the live show.
I give this release  :thumb: :thumb: .
Scotty

vinyl_lady

Re: Dark Side of The Moon Experience Version
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:09 am »
+1
I don't buy many CDs anymore as my music budget goes to vinyl. However, after hearing disc 2, the live show from Wembley, in Lou Hinkley's room after hours at RMAF, I bought it as soon as I got home. The live show is worth the price of the CD. I can't comment on this version of the studio album because I haven't listened to it, but I have listened to the live show 6 times and it is terrific! It is well recorded and you can hear/feel the energy that was on stage that night. They clearly were having a lot of fun performing the album in its entirety. Great Gig in the Sky is simply mind blowing.  8)

I wish they would have released the live show on vinyl

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2011, 02:20 am »
I wish I had a good copy of the studio version on vinyl. What I have is a picture disc pressing dating to 1978 and I suspect that the stamper used was on it's last legs. The vinyl used in the pressing has some surface noise issues as well.
 I think a good vinyl copy should trump even this latest release from an imaging and dynamics standpoint. 
 I too would wish for a pressing of the Wembley performance on vinyl, it would be a gas.
Scotty

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2011, 03:52 pm »
I think there is a new studio, vinyl version available right now from Music Direct. I want to know how much better it sounds then my MOFI version.

Wayner

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:36 pm »
Thanks Guys!  I'm going to order this one.  IMO, I can't think of an album I enjoy more.  It has stood the test of time and has some of the best guitar/keyboard on any recording.  The live tracks also look very interesting.  Pink Floyd at the top of their game.  Does it get any better? I'm glad I waited and didn't get the anniversary edition. 

Had the original on vinyl but that record is long gone.  Hopefully the new recording is better than the old CD I have.  Great songs but my recording is just so-so.  I've got remastered versions of most of everything else (Animals, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, The Wall, etc.).   The only Pink Floyd album I don't care for is The Final Cut.  I have a copy on gold Musical Fidelity Japanese Remaster and, although the recording is good, I can't stand this CD.  Next time I have an audio get-together, some "lucky" person is going to get a free CD!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:49 pm »
There is a new remastered studio version LP, but after reading some reviews on Amazon I am reluctant to spend my money on it. All of the reviews claim annoying surface noise indicative of poor quality control at the pressing plant. I have the original, the 30th Anniversary and the MoFi pressings and I believe the MoFi is the best sounding of the 3. It's my favorite and the one I listen to most of the time.

I also have the 30th Anniversary hybrid CD/SACD as well as the original CD and the 30th anniversary CD sounds better to me.

PeteG

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2011, 02:34 am »
I agree, Disc #2 “Live at Wembley” was worth the price of the CD to me. Wish they would have the entire concert on SACD/CD. I see WYWH EXPERIENCE CD has a Disc#2 "Live at Wembley" too.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:23 pm »
There is a new remastered studio version LP, but after reading some reviews on Amazon I am reluctant to spend my money on it. All of the reviews claim annoying surface noise indicative of poor quality control at the pressing plant. I have the original, the 30th Anniversary and the MoFi pressings and I believe the MoFi is the best sounding of the 3. It's my favorite and the one I listen to most of the time.

I also have the 30th Anniversary hybrid CD/SACD as well as the original CD and the 30th anniversary CD sounds better to me.
]\

Thanks Laura, I'll keep my money for other recordings.

Wayner

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2011, 10:19 pm »
I have the new remastered CD and an original 1987 version.  I think the new CD is a lot better.  Instruments are clearer and there is less "noise".  The new CD sounds a lot smoother.
I also have the new LP and heard the whole album on Saturday.  I was very disappointed in the surface noise.  It was on both sides and thru-out the entire album.