Quantum AC filters are awesome

Phil

Quantum AC filters are awesome
« on: 6 Jun 2009, 06:54 pm »
This is follow-up to my 2007 review of Alan Maher?s PE (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45312.0)

After recently upgrading ICs and speaker cables, I started to hear noise in my system (and that started driving my crazy because I started to focus on the noise and not the music).  I have long used an equitech balanced power unit for my source/preamp and have two dedicated lines.  In addition to other tweaks meant to reduce EMI/RFI (both inside and outside of equipment), I had seven of Alan's PEs installed (one in each dedicated outlet and five in non-audio circuits).  So, I wasn't sure if a new filter would solve my problem.  I contacted Alan, ordered a Quantum AC filter and replaced the PE that shared the equitech's outlet.

Five weeks later I'm in awe of this filter.  The noise is long gone.  In its place is music.  Big, expansive music with a level of micro detail that is surprising.  This filter obviously lowers the noise floor substantially and places a very solid image of the musicians in the room.  Compared to the PE it replaces, this filter is in a different league.  The changes are far from subtle.  Every disc sounds new.  A quantum change indeed. 

Timbre is uncanny.  The bass is deeper and better defined.  The mid-bass is much more solid.  The piano is finally portrayed in its full range.  The midrange is simply magical -- vocal nuance is greatly enhanced without any kind of artificial boost.  Highs are more extended and airy.  This is the first time I have truly enjoyed trumpet playback from a CD.  The sum total of all of these improvements is a much more nuanced, dynamic and exciting presentation -- closer to live music.  You just don't listen to this music you are embraced by it.     

I'd recommend the Quantum for anyone considering a new piece of gear because it doesn't seem to do what they expected as well as someone who wants to get the most out of the gear they love.  Info here:  http://alanmaherdesigns.com/PEQ.aspx
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2009, 09:49 pm by Phil »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Quantum AC filters are awesome
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2009, 09:16 pm »
Great review Phil  :D

Bill

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2009, 11:00 pm »
No wonder it's a great review since poor Phil has literally bought into your lunacy. Show me a company that claims a four week break in period is required for their products and I'll show you a company who has just ripped you off.  :x

markC

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2009, 12:29 am »
According to your tag line we are stoned, immaculate. aa

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2009, 03:56 am »
No wonder it's a great review since poor Phil has literally bought into your lunacy. Show me a company that claims a four week break in period is required for their products and I'll show you a company who has just ripped you off.  :x

So, how long do you "think"  :scratch: it should take for a component or other electrical device to break-in?  Perhaps you are confusing this with your outboard motor?  Is it a two or four stroke engine? Please see below:

"Tohatsu Outboard Break-In Periods

The break-in period is the most critical time in the life of your outboard. Correct operation during the break-in period will prolong the life of your new outboard and will ensure optimum performance. Properly breaking-in your new outboard will ensure the initial smooth operation and lubrication of all moving parts (pistons, gears, bearings, etc).

The following charts show the standard "break-in" periods for Tohatsu Outboards (2-stroke, 4-stroke and TLDI).
| TLDI (Direct Injection) Outboards | 4-Stroke Outboards | 2-Stroke Outboards (Carbureted) |
TLDI (Direct Injection) Outboards
TLDI models are direct fuel injection 2-strokes (no carburetors), therefore, break-in procedures will vary from a standard carbureted 2-stroke outboard.

40-50 hp
(TLDI)    1-10min.    10 min. -1 hrs.    1-2hours    2-10hours    After 10 hours
Throttle Position    Idle    Less than 1/2 throttle    Less than 3/4 throttle    3/4 throttle    Full throttle available
Speed    ?@    Approx. 3000rpm    Full throttle run allowed for 1 min. every 10 min.    Approx. 4000 rpm. Full throttle run allowed for 2 min. every 10 min.    ?@
Note:Do not mix oil with fuel. TLDI models do not require pre-mixing of oil/fuel during break-in or during normal operation."