Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

jackman

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #360 on: 26 Nov 2014, 07:29 pm »
PS - Roscoe, please PM me your address.  The latest posts reminded me that I need to send you the manual.  It's on my coffee table in my listening room (mancave, etc.).  It's easy to operate and you should be able to find instructions on-line (it is menu driven and very logical/user-friendly).  Sorry about that...

Thanks,
Jack

a.wayne

« Reply #361 on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:22 pm »
Jackmans comments are in line with what i have experienced with class-d ( Rotel, BelCanto) I have yet to hear the NCores,( or any of the other hi-end class-d selling for ridicule $$)  tried in the circle , but to no avail, not sure how to hear one without purchasing and not committed to Class-d enuff to go that route.  I'm also not sold on the bass, as I still find class-a ,  a/ab superior in bass articulation, weight and control over class-D , same for top end. Class-D does have good "jump" , so it does capture the life of the recordings very well  but at the expense of  sounding edgy and ill defined vs other topologies.

Things could be changing ........   :weights:

WireNut

« Reply #362 on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:39 pm »

I'm also not sold on the bass, as I still find class-a ,  a/ab superior in bass articulation, weight and control over class-D , same for top end.

That's pretty much how I feel about the XLS amp on low frequency's, all tho, I have not heard one yet.
I just sold my Audio Research 150.2 amp due to a job lay off. The 150.2 was a class T digital switching amp rated at 300 watts at 4 ohms but it weighted 45 pounds.
It had the best low end authority of any amp I've used in the last 30 years. The XLS at 11 pounds, I just don't see how it can match the 150.2 on low frequency's.
I hope I'm wrong because the XLS might be my next bass amp due to it's low price.

I should probably get on this tour if possible in order to try the XLS out as a bass amp in my bi-amp system.
My old Hafler 9505 amp I'm now using for bass has developed a low level popping in my right channel  :(

Folsom

« Reply #363 on: 26 Nov 2014, 09:36 pm »
I don't have your experiences Wayne.

The XLS goes deep with bass in a controlled way.

The metallic sound seemed to go away with a change to the XLS. That's what I meant by tone. I wouldn't call it timbre because it's more like a grain.

cab

« Reply #364 on: 26 Nov 2014, 09:41 pm »
TThe XLS at 11 pounds, I just don't see how it can match the 150.2 on low frequency's.

Since when has an amp's performance been related to its weight??? :scratch:

WireNut

« Reply #365 on: 26 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm »
Since when has an amp's performance been related to its weight??? :scratch:

It's more about on demand current at any given time.
I've tried so many amps over the last 30 years, wattage doesn't mean better at low frequency's.
I'm not knocking the XLS amps, I may own one if the future.
All I can say is the Audio Research 150.2 class T digital switching amp has the best bass authority of any amp I've used in 30 years.
I can't wait to own another one. Sorry I ever had to sell it off.

wushuliu

« Reply #366 on: 26 Nov 2014, 10:22 pm »
but at the expense of  sounding edgy and ill defined vs other topologies.

Things could be changing ........   :weights:

I just don't get that. The TPA amps and the Class D Audio amps I've heard sound nothing like that. They sound more tube than solid state (when modified with quality parts).

I do agree on the bass control.

Freo-1

« Reply #367 on: 26 Nov 2014, 11:16 pm »
I just don't get that. The TPA amps and the Class D Audio amps I've heard sound nothing like that. They sound more tube than solid state (when modified with quality parts).

I do agree on the bass control.

With the exception of the Yamaha MX-D1, my experience is they do sound like that.  Even the Yamaha, as nice as it sounds, still does not have the 3D, bass slam, low level detail and midrange performance of the better high end tube/solid state units.  There certainly has been a general trend of improvements with Class D.  I think the quality and speaker load has a lot to do with the differences noticed by audiophiles.

roscoeiii

« Reply #368 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:12 am »
And as I've mentioned before, I think that the high damping factor is probably playing a role with some speakers.

rodge827

« Reply #369 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:57 am »
And as I've mentioned before, I think that the high damping factor is probably playing a role with some speakers.

What kind of front end are you guys using? Tube or SS?
Sorry if this was already mentioned.

Folsom

« Reply #370 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:06 am »

It's better for low efficiency speakers yes?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #371 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:23 am »
It's better for low efficiency speakers yes?

no,it's better for high efficiency speakers,higher damping!!! :green:

dlaloum

« Reply #372 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:48 am »
I think it works well with demanding speakers that have reactive loads.

The Gallo's I have have a very strange capacitive load in the high end (due to the CDT tweeter), and the crossover to the 4ohm woofer drops the impedance down to around 2 ohm at circa 125Hz...

So you need plenty of current for the low impedance part, not sure what the best amp setup for the high end CDT tweeter is, but Gallo use a Spectron Class-D amp for their demos.... and from my perspective, the synergy between speakers and XLS amps is fantastic. (but I don't have ncores to compare to...)

I would love to know why the match is so good.... its not like the other amps I tried lack current!

OzarkTom

« Reply #373 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:17 pm »
The 1500 is presently out of the deep freeze and is on and burning in.

WireNut

« Reply #374 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:37 pm »
The 1500 is presently out of the deep freeze and is on and burning in.

/
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2014, 10:39 am by WireNut »

OzarkTom

« Reply #375 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:54 pm »
I would Never Ever have one of my expensive components or tubes Cryoded. Never Ever.

A $200 amp is expensive? My cryo'd IC's and ITube are more expensive than that.

steve f

« Reply #376 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:06 pm »
I suspect that DF may be a concern with the rolled off bass response some members are experiencing.

My 1500 arrived, but I won't get a chance to try it until next week.

Edit: these amps were originally designed to be used with big woofers ( 4" voice coils, medium Q values, stiff surrounds) in vented cabinets.

a.wayne

« Reply #377 on: 29 Nov 2014, 08:31 pm »
I'm starting to become very skeptical and eerily cautious of this amplifier, everyone who comes in contact goes silent, first Jackman ,now Roscoe ....  :rotflmao:

roscoeiii

« Reply #378 on: 29 Nov 2014, 08:50 pm »
Tough to type with my jaw on the floor... :D

Naw, just out of town in KC visiting my sister. But getting some exciting new speakers on the ride back (which like high damping factor according to the manufacturer) so should have lots to report back on.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #379 on: 29 Nov 2014, 09:59 pm »
Tough to type with my jaw on the floor... :D

Naw, just out of town in KC visiting my sister. But getting some exciting new speakers on the ride back (which like high damping factor according to the manufacturer) so should have lots to report back on.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Just two hours south you could have stopped at my house.