12v trigger mono to stereo?

retnuh

12v trigger mono to stereo?
« on: 7 May 2017, 03:29 pm »
My preamp has mono 12v trigger outs and the manual states not to use a stereo cable. The ST-10 however requires a stereo cable. How might I handle the conversion so I can trigger the amp?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: 12v trigger mono to stereo?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2017, 04:09 pm »
My preamp has mono 12v trigger outs and the manual states not to use a stereo cable. The ST-10 however requires a stereo cable. How might I handle the conversion so I can trigger the amp?

I just checked the owners manual for ST-10 and I don't see a reference for a stereo trigger cable. (Page 8). A mono cable is the usual cable used for trigger systems. If you can reference where you saw this that could help.

Thanks, Mark

retnuh

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2017, 05:55 pm »
From the website's faq section
What kind of trigger cable can be used for your products?
When a device has a 12V trigger input, it is designed to be turned on when a 12V is detected. You can use any standard male to male 3.5mm (3-pin type) cable.

3-pin being a stereo cable, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to find other references, I thought there were more than just this:
Yes. It uses a 12v trigger. One oddity is that it requires a stereo 3.5 mm plug for some reason. A mono cable/plug will not work.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2017, 06:14 pm »
From the website's faq section
3-pin being a stereo cable, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to find other references, I thought there were more than just this:

Yes - I see what you are saying. I've always had 2-pin cables available myself. I can't imagine why a 3-pin wouldn't work as well. The circuit is pretty simple. If you want to delve deeper, you might want to ask on their help desk: http://www.nuoem.com/osticket/upload/

retnuh

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 01:35 am »
Here's a solution in case anyone else runs into this.

Support: "starting from the tip of stereo plug 12V, 12V, ground"

You'll need a mono -> stereo adapter that's wired to each channel, and a 3.5mm stereo cable.

So really easy solution, I just didn't want to try anything until I knew the pin out.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2017, 11:58 pm »
If your control device has trigger out that use only mono plug, you need to do the wiring from mono 12V to the two 12V pins on the stereo plug.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2017, 10:34 am »
Hi All,
I know this thread is very old, but I am also trying to locate a cable for my dac10+st10 combo. Suggest either a cable be included in the dac10 or at least advice the dealers to carry stock so that people do not have to try all kinds of cable to get it to work.
Sorry, only see this thread while looking for info on the cable.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2017, 04:59 pm »
Tan, this 'custom made' cables are for other-brand equipment to work with the ST-10.  For DAC-10 -> ST-10, an off-the-shelf stereo 1/8" plug (mini plug) regular cable will work.  It's a mini-plug to mini-plug regular cable, like the one you would use to connect your phone's output to an aux on a radio, or wired speakers.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Slim-iXCC-Universal-3-5mm-Enabled-Devices/dp/B00ZS6QPTQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510851534&sr=8-3&keywords=stereo+mini+plug+cable&dpID=4129zuVObML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Tan Raymond

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:17 am »
Hi Rafa,
Thanks for the info. The link certainly helped as it has a picture of the "pin". One question not related to the trigger:- can I leave the st-10 on 24/7 even if no input signal to it? It may have been mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance to anyone with the answer.

in1unison

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2017, 10:55 am »
@ Tan

No problem leaving ST 10 always on without input signal. Some NuPrime amps (like Ref 18/20) will overheat if you leave them on, but disconnect the speakers.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:12 pm »
As a matter of fact, some say it’s best lo leave it on all the time, as the ‘best’ sound is (reportedly) only achieved after some hours after turning the unit on.

As for me, I am a bit more eco-friendly and prefer to turn it off (via the wired trigger) every time.  To the touch, the surface of the St-10 is warm (not hot) even when not playing music.  That means electricity is being transformed into heat and consuming unused resources.

I do not notice a huge improvement in sound from the moment I turn it on until the sound achieved a few hours later,
at least nothing that will merit leaving it on.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Tan Raymond

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:40 am »
Hi "in1unison" and Rafa,
Thanks for the replies.
I am also in Rafa's camp. I always turn off my components and main switch too, as I had 2 lightning strikes over the years here and had some electronics blown off and burnt at home. Luckily, the house did not get burnt down. I do hear a very slight difference in the music when start off cold, but they normalised within 10 minutes, so no big deal there.
It's more for my wife, she would not use it unless its already turned on. She loves the "sound" from the system for watching tv over the small active speakers I installed for her, :-) :-).
Well, happy listening to all. Nice to get tips and info from friendly enthusiasts here.

Niles300z

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2020, 04:20 pm »
The issue gets a bit confused with all the various names for these cables. Some call these phono cables, some pin cables, mini plugs..others refer to it by its size which can also be confused since there are 2.5mm and 3.5mm just to name a couple.  I refuse to measure with a caliper. We typically use inches here in the states. However, these plugs used for triggers as mentioned above are almost always the standard 3.5mm size which is in fact the same size as your headphone jack on your phone if your phone still has one since the advent of bluetooth. So, I never messed around with triggers much until recently when I needed to try to power an amp with a defective power button using the 12v trigger. I had read the 3 5mm mono cable, the one with one black band was the only option but I couldn't find my mono but could find a 3.5mm stereo plug which has two black bands. So I tried it on two amps and they both worked.
I think the mono plugs are suggested but it appears the stereo cables will work. To further complicate the issue there appears to be mini plugs that have three or maybe even 4 bands of various colors on the ends of these plugs usually used on iPods and such that will also use this cable to charge the device. Ugh.

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:34 am »
In our FAQ, this is how we described the trigger cable:

When a device has a 12V trigger input, it is designed to be turned on when a 12V is detected. You can use any standard male to male 3.5mm (3-pin type) cable.