Komputer

PhilipAC

Komputer
« on: 26 Apr 2016, 10:45 am »
Hi.

Anyone tried or heard the latest (Linux) version of the Komputer yet? I'm keen to know how it sounds relative to the Aurender W20. Particularly because the W20 won't play DSD256.

Philip

sfox7076

Re: Komputer
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm »
I have heard it.  It sounds amazing.  I am waiting to hear if it will do HQPlayer embedded and upsample to 256 and 512. 

PhilipAC

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2016, 01:40 pm »
Thanks.

Could you post anything else you find out on this thread- I would be really grateful.

Cheers

Philip

wisnon

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2016, 10:35 am »
One will be in Munich, I am told.

PhilipAC

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2016, 08:59 am »
My new Komputer arrived on Tuesday!!! So far I have spent most of my time trying to transfer my music files onto the internal HD. All I can say so far is that DSD128 sounds wonderful. I don't think I have all the settings right for DSD256, but will report back when I do.

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2016, 11:22 am »
Wow, congrats Phil!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2016, 12:11 pm »
Pics!!!

PhilipAC

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2016, 10:15 pm »
Well, I'm about a month into listening with the Komputer (feeding a GG HeadDAC). It took me a couple of weeks to get used to Daphile and to copy all my 6Tb of music files over and sort out some metadata tagging issues. But I'm there now.

Bottom line is...I love it! I think it is noticeably better than my Aurender W20, which I felt (and still think) is brilliant.

My only issue is that when I set PCM>DSD128 automatic conversion, DSD256 playback stutters. When I set PCM>DSD64 conversion, it doesn't. I know this seems impossible to explain. The PCM>DSD conversion obviously shouldn't affect DSD256 playback. I can't explain it, it seems impossible, but I can only tell you what I hear.

The good news is that it doesn't bother me. I set PCM>DSD to DSD64 and DSD256 is fine. Furthermore, my PCM files sound FANTASTIC played this way. In principle I believe in playing files natively, but I'm a lazy fellow, and also I think my GG excels at playing DSD. So I listen to my PCM files playing on PCM>DSD64 without having to switch my GG DAC to PCM and they sound wonderful!!

I am also very happy with the Daphile SW.

Go go Lampi!!

Philip