Lampizator Big 7 On

fridays

Lampizator Big 7 On
« on: 8 Apr 2016, 05:47 pm »
What does the red button, or the circle button the the unit actually do?
It doesnt turn it off, trying to preserve tube life
The owners manual states that tubes should last 10-20 years
Thank You

kingdeezie

Re: Lampizator Big 7 On
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2016, 05:58 pm »
If you don't have the built in volume control, the button on the front should be used to switch between the PCM and DSD "engines."

If you want to listen to DSD, you have to have the button pressed in, for the DSD portion of the DAC to be activated.

At least, this is how mine works.

The only way to turn the unit on or off, is the back of the unit.

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2016, 06:02 pm »
Yes, Bruce.

In your prior L4 and Big 5 the front button was a power switch, but as DSD has become a standard we made the front button the DSD toggle for easier ergonomics.   

This post tells me you haven't listened to DSD yet on your Big 7...  You need to man!    :thumb:

fridays

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2016, 06:37 pm »
I've listened to DSD, very good
I use the remote to change between PCM and DSD
Still not sure what the power button is doing on the remote
It's some kind of standby but the tubes are always illuminated unless I use the switch in the back to turn it off

Thanks

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2016, 07:30 pm »
Ahh, I didn't recall your unit was VC, but I'm remembering now you had the Coincident pre before.

Yes, the power button on the remote and the front ring button move your dac to standby.  The internal computer goes to sleep and most functions shut down, but the tube heaters remain on...  almost like a soft start.

fridays

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2016, 08:05 pm »
Got it
Thanks Fred

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2016, 11:35 am »
What does the red button, or the circle button the the unit actually do?
It doesnt turn it off, trying to preserve tube life
The owners manual states that tubes should last 10-20 years
Thank You
Tube life is diminshed by frequent switching on and off, not by the tubes remaining on!

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2016, 02:32 pm »
There is a great debate about that Norman.  I don't agree with that.  I think that heating the filament and having the oxide coating burn off constantly is a greater issue than the current inrush (not an issue in a current limited supply) and thermal shock issues.  It's preference, but there is no definitive science on about it.  Frankly, if you are using old tubes, I wouldn't worry much either way.  Most tubes made before the 80s will outlive you unless there was a production flaw, you run the heck out of them (which the Lampi does not do), a device fails with the tube in it (light show) or they get dropped.  I have had the same quad of 6L6 derivative tubes in an amp that runs the tar out of them for years.  Still no sign of failure and they test 75%+.  They were made in 1944 and, trust me, there is no babying like the lampi does to its tubes.

wisnon

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:07 pm »
There is a great debate about that Norman.  I don't agree with that.  I think that heating the filament and having the oxide coating burn off constantly is a greater issue than the current inrush (not an issue in a current limited supply) and thermal shock issues.  It's preference, but there is no definitive science on about it.  Frankly, if you are using old tubes, I wouldn't worry much either way.  Most tubes made before the 80s will outlive you unless there was a production flaw, you run the heck out of them (which the Lampi does not do), a device fails with the tube in it (light show) or they get dropped.  I have had the same quad of 6L6 derivative tubes in an amp that runs the tar out of them for years.  Still no sign of failure and they test 75%+.  They were made in 1944 and, trust me, there is no babying like the lampi does to its tubes.

LoL

Its nuanced Shawn, but I didnt mean to keep it on permanently, I meant no unnecessary shut down. Reserve that for when you will take a break of more than 1 day or so. That way one fulfills both constraints...no excessive on/off and no permanent fiulament burn.

BTW, did you ever find that vintage tube?

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:08 pm »
BNot yet.  Too many tubes...

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2016, 04:58 pm »
Thanks Shawn...I just saw your reply.