"Ambrosia": Warning!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
"Ambrosia": Warning!
« on: 1 Jan 2007, 09:51 pm »
"Ambrosia" is the new SS preamp from James Bongiorno, priced at $5900 including MM/MC phono card and remote.

It's only been in my system for 3 days.  The unit is large, heavy (50 lbs!), and runs quite warm.  Jim calls it "almost the last analog preamp" because of its software and many processing functions.  However, I find all this of little importance.

What is important is that "Ambrosia" is the finest-sounding piece of audio electronics I have found in 30 years.  I hope all audiophiles will investigate it for their systems regardless of price or complexity. 

We will have it in our CES booth, St Tropez 1805, and I invite anyone interested in good sound to visit us and partake of "Ambrosia" with the some of the best associated equipment available.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: "Ambrosia": Warning!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:02 pm »

...................Link.......Good luck at the show Brian.... :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:08 pm »

James has been working on this for some time, and I know it is built like a tank.

And as you can see from the rear view, the it has a full "phono stage" and I beleive James said the phono stages have their own separate power supplies.

You who like to use your own brand of Power Cord can do so on this unit.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:11 pm »
Man Chris, you are like speedy Gonzales. :o 8) :lol:

It didn't take me but a couple minutes to C&P those URLs.

In any event, now CES/THE Show will be a double treat with the RM v60 and the AMBROSIA.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:13 pm »
Thanks John..... :lol:
I notice AC switched and unswitched outlets on that preamp.....something I've not seen in awhile ?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:30 pm »
The unit has so many features it's hard to list them all.

There are four bands each of bass and treble EQ (7 to 8 dB max boost or cut), balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, extremely low noise on phono (70nV max on MC!), and best of all, that matchless sound quality.

I've used nothing but tube preamps in my system for many years now and will post a comparitive review.  However, nothing I've owned, or heard in other systems really surpasses, or even equals, the "Ambrosia" for sheer fidelity and listening pleasure.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:37 pm »
The unit has so many features it's hard to list them all.
James has covered all the base's....looks really good !!!
And it has a remote.....nice !!!  8)

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2007, 01:48 am »
No wine in me yet, but here is my question.  I hope it was not obvious, but does this have the trinaural in it as well?

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2007, 02:53 am »
No wine in me yet, but here is my question.  I hope it was not obvious, but does this have the trinaural in it as well?

Jim packed quite a bit into this chassis, and didn't want the TNP to make it even larger and more complex.

The TNT can of course be "added on" no problem, in fact it might behoove (I don't think I have ever used that word before :scratch:) dealers to "kick it" into a package deal.

One can only fantasize what the Ambrosia preamp, TriNauralProcesssor, Son of AMPzilla x 3 or AMPzilla 2K x 3, on  a Trio of RM v60's, and a pair of 1000w powered VLA would sound like.

aa aa

Retail list around $42- $50k depending on options

Street Price = less than $35- $40K

All you need is a good TT, and Digital Source. :scratch:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2007, 10:01 am »
Damn shame it doesn't include the Trinaural processor- it's not like it's a small preamp anyways.  I imagine it's a wonderful preamp but that feature would put it in another class entirely.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:06 pm »
James tells me the unit is over budget as it is and the TP is available separately, but I agree it would be a nice feature albeit one few would use.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2007, 02:31 am »
I suppose there isn't much point to including a feature no one wants.  It's more that it seems to me having TriP built in would sound better and be better integrated by building it in than tacking it on externally.

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2007, 04:45 am »
I'm sorry, guys, but SOMeBOdy has to say it!

Does it HAVE to look like thaattt?! :shake:

PLMONROE

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2007, 04:53 am »
Maybe its like that girl we took out in high school that nobody dated for her looks???  8)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2007, 08:34 am »
I'm sorry, guys, but SOMeBOdy has to say it!

Does it HAVE to look like thaattt?! :shake:

Yeah, I wasn't gonna say it but it has that Original Star Trek/Jetsons look about it. :lol:  I'd say no married man will ever be permitted to bring on into the house. :P

shep

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2007, 10:59 am »
I didn't want to be the first to say it...first have to grovel...over the price and it being the best of the best and everything...but it does rather look like a portable welding machine or something fancy to keep out cattle. Pity they didn't spend a bit of that dosh on style.

mca

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2007, 05:16 pm »
Have you seen the suits James wears to shows? Now you know why the pre looks so bad!

Seriously, if the preamp (and the amps) had a normal black or silver faceplate, they would be much more attractive, and probably sell better too.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2007, 05:27 pm »
I think it looks cute.

James will offer a black faceplate for those not fond of dark blue.

Zheeeem

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2007, 05:34 pm »
James will offer a black faceplate for those not fond of dark blue.

Ah!  But can he do Krylon red?  That's the real question....

Brian Cheney

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2007, 05:40 pm »
I will be happy to customize yours in any color your like.

James also plans to offer Chickenpox (now that's new and different!), Jaundice (matches your other yellow gear), and Death (unhealthy but nicely pale).