Just another upgrade... This time Focal/JM Labs

Doublej

Re: Just another upgrade... This time Focal/JM Labs
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2016, 03:45 pm »
Can you do a before and after overlay on the same graph. That would easily highlight the changes.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2016, 03:52 pm »
Can you do a before and after overlay on the same graph. That would easily highlight the changes.

There are slight changes in all aspects. No one graph really shows all the changes. I can post one over the other though. Here is the frequency response.

Only two things changed here and they are subtle improvements. The peak in the upper range of the tweeters response has been attenuated. And some of the break up in the upper woofer response has been pushed down a little. The actual crossover point shifted down very slightly as well and that also brings some subtle improvements.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2016, 03:57 pm »
Here is where the real improvement comes in. The quality of the crossover parts, wire, and connectors will improve clarity, detail levels, and resolution across the board. Smearing will also be reduced and there will be clearly more space between the notes.

Here is the new verses old crossover.

Tube connectors also replaced a pair of the connectors and they will be wired in parallel so that either/or can be used. I like that configuration as it also results in amazement of how much better they sound with the tube connectors over the binding posts.

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2016, 11:03 pm »
Now I am starting to get it. I assume you have tweaked the crossover but could one just use the same value better quality parts in a crossover and expect improved quality?

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2016, 11:12 pm »
Now I am starting to get it. I assume you have tweaked the crossover but could one just use the same value better quality parts in a crossover and expect improved quality?

You could replace any of the parts used with higher quality parts very easily and make improvements.

GregR

« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2016, 04:01 am »
Finally getting a chance to chime in, since these are my speakers and Danny got them back to a while back.  First I'll just say, Danny is a magician. I loved these speakers before but they are so much nicer to listen to now. They always were a touch shrill and made for fatiguing listening at higher volumes. Now all the treble is there and gone is that hard edge. Believe it or not this actually gives them a more open sound. In my tiny listening room now they almost disappear. I just recently tried tilting them up just a few degrees like Danny mentioned. I haven't noticed a huge change, but subtle. I love the new tube connectors and can't wait to get some speaker wires terminated with them to match.

Big thanks to Danny for the top notch work. Can't wait to see what he does with my fathers old Meridian M60 speakers.

Greg Risley

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:50 am »
Greg,

Thanks for your feedback. It helps me better understand what Danny does. By this I mean I can read Danny's posts, but your feedback adds meaning and backs up his boasts.

Thanks! :thumb:

Michael