Amadeus needs frequent azimuth adjustment

guitardave

Amadeus needs frequent azimuth adjustment
« on: 26 Jul 2014, 06:46 pm »
I find I need to check my azimuth frequently on my Amadeus arm.  It seems to change just by playing a record.  The golf ball is centered as well as I can in the cup.  I check the azimuth with the arm resting on a non-playing record, with a small level on the base of the arm, just behind the filament.  I find it changes a lot.  Am I missing something?  Dave

watercourse

Re: Amadeus needs frequent azimuth adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:27 pm »
Maybe take a photo to show setup.

I've had mine for about a month and azimuth stays put.

Given the unfixed pivot design, any excessive force could possibly cause "self-adjustment". This could be due to excessive chatter from misalignment and tracking angle error/distortion, antiskate setting or lack of leveling causing excessive lateral forces, too light VTF, and even rough arm handling. Or a combination of the above.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:32 pm »
Dave. Set the azimuth up with the stylus positioned at the halfway point across an LP. I use a torch light creating a reflection to do this. You should then find that the azimuth will be slightly out one way at the beginning of a side and slightly out the other way at the side end. Neither enough to have any significant audible effect.

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:34 pm »
Dave. Set the azimuth up with the stylus positioned at the halfway point across an LP. I use a torch light creating a reflection to do this. You should then find that the azimuth will be slightly out one way at the beginning of a side and slightly out the other way at the side end. Neither enough to have any significant audible effect.

Agreed.

guitardave

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:00 pm »
Agreed.

What is the torch light method?  I have never heard of this.
Thanks.  Dave

rob400

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:29 pm »
What is the torch light method?  I have never heard of this.
Thanks.  Dave
Dave. Position the stylus on LP centre as mentioned in my previous post. Keep the room lighting low. Shine a small torch light above and slightly in front of the cartridge to produce a reflection on the vinyl. You're looking for a mirror image type result. If the cartridge body isn't plumb then it's clearly shown by the reflection. Cartridges with vertical sides make this method a breeze but I still manage happily with an XV1s so give it a go.

watercourse

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2014, 02:15 pm »
Torch light = flashlight.

After you've set it the way Rob has described, it may appear to be off on outer and inner grooves, but I'd suggest listening before making any further adjustments. If there is no IGD, then keep the setting and see if it stays put.

If it still self-adjusts, post again and we'll go from there.

doak

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2014, 02:20 pm »
I have also had this unstable azimuth problem.

In my case it appeared to be caused by, 1: Too much arm damping (ball too far down in silicone), and 2: Quick movement of the arm when removing arm from record which caused slipping of the arm suspension harness at the looping point.

Easing up on the damping along with being aware of not whipping the arm around when handling it solved this problem for me.

Hope this helps you too.

Regards,
Doak
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2014, 03:54 am by doak »

rob400

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2014, 03:15 pm »
Good posts guys. I have stopped the filament cable slipping out of setting by squeezing a very small drop of superglue onto the collar groove at the highest point where the cable loops around it. As I don't intend to remove the arm wand any time soon (and the fix can be broke quite easily if necessary) I decided to "bite the bullet" and give this method a try. I can report that it has proved effective.

gagamut

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2014, 01:43 am »
 ''Quick movement of the arm when removing arm from record which caused slipping of the arm suspension harness at the looping point.''

it is absolutly right