New CDWG's NOW available

John Casler

Re: New CDWG's NOW available
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:42 pm »
What are user's (and dealers/manufacturer's) thoughts on toe-in with the new CDWG's?  Without any waveguides, I was toeing in my RM40's to about 2' in front of me.  Now I'm experimenting with much less (a few feet behind me); the image is deeper, seems just as broad, and little if any change in the tonal balance, but I've only been listening for a couple of days.

Speaker Convergence Angle is primarily for two key purposes:

1) Increase the sweet spot laterally (wider sweet seat)

2) Adjust or correct  for sidewall reflections

It may be wise with the new waveguides to "try" various convergence angles to see what works best with your room, and listening geometry.

In theory, it would reduce the need for such a steep convergence angle for critical listening, only if you do not have an issue with sidewall reflection.

Since the directivity should be rather similar in frequency and response one could even try placing the speakers with no angle if they were on a long wall placement, but I still think most will find a more specific convergence more pleasing.

At the show, since we were in a rather tight space and the speakers (especially the left) were close to the side walls, we used an "on-axis" convergence most of the time.  This reduced the angular incidence of the sidewall reflections a bit, and maintained a tight image and soundstage.

Your described listening experience is not unusual and the perception of soundstage depth (or lack of) can be caused by many elements including the effects of comb filtering from the convergence angle.  With the CDWGs in place, there is a more even and constant filtering (broad band) that will produce a less dramatic change in the sound, that a non-CDWG equipped model.

But still the best advice is to "experiment" and see what offers the best results in your room.

jeff442

« Reply #81 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:05 pm »
Would anyone out there mind showing pics of their speakers with the new CDWG's installed?  I would be especially interested to see a shot of the model I own (RM30) with the new guides.

PS - I love the look of the old CDWG and dislike removing them... I wish there was a way for both to coexist and still produce top notch sound.

John Casler

« Reply #82 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:18 pm »
Would anyone out there mind showing pics of their speakers with the new CDWG's installed?  I would be especially interested to see a shot of the model I own (RM30) with the new guides.

PS - I love the look of the old CDWG and dislike removing them... I wish there was a way for both to coexist and still produce top notch sound.

We had them on the RM30 Series II in Newport Beach in June.

Pez

« Reply #83 on: 12 Sep 2011, 09:27 pm »
Any love for RMAF?  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

rbbert

« Reply #84 on: 12 Sep 2011, 11:23 pm »
Any love for RMAF?  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I'll be there, but when I asked about it here a few months ago John posted that Brian doesn't care for it.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #85 on: 19 Sep 2011, 09:30 pm »
The Show itself is fine and a good showcase for manufacturers.  In my old age the altitude gets to me and I gasp a lot at nite.  So, I don't do RMAF any more.

rbbert

« Reply #86 on: 2 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm »
After having the new CDWG'S off and on the FST's of my RM-40's for the past several months, I've decided to leave them off and am using 3/16" felt pads of similar dimensions placed right along the side edges of the FST opening.  Sounds better to me than either of the alternatives (new CDWG'S off or on).  I suspect they are working more as diffraction gates than true CDWG's, but as B has said, the FST's already have pretty good dispersion behavior.

7x57

« Reply #87 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:37 pm »
Interesting, rbbert. I decided to not order the new CDWG for my RM1 tweeters. I'm not having any issues with my tweeters just as they are in stock form. I have a presence peak in my RM1 midrange. The CDWG should widen the beam and lower the on-axis output in that frequency range without resorting to the series inductor mod that some people use. I shall soon see. The RM1 and 626 only have a single panel and are not induced into line source behavior as are the big speakers with stacked midranges. The CDWG should make much more difference on these single midrange panel speakers than the big VMPS speakers. The RM1 presence peak isn't noticeable off-axis, so I am assuming it is a beaming issue and not a total power output issue.

Flightar

« Reply #88 on: 18 Oct 2012, 12:43 am »
If I add these to my 626's and don't wish to use the old CDWG's as grilles are cloth grilles avalable?