Sin City 2 a disappointment

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Sin City 2 a disappointment
« on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:41 am »
Well, can't say I shouldn't have seen it coming; between the poor reviews and pitiful box office I probably should have known it would disappoint.  Indeed, Sin City 2 isn't really 'bad' so much as it's boring.  It's beautifully shot, mirroring the innovative and distinctive cinematography of the first film. But despite some good actors and strong performances the story is pretty weak.  Several of the stories are just plain boring and few are even close to as interesting as the original. Mickey Rourke and Josh Brolin are pretty interesting, and their story comes close to capturing some of the magic of the first film.  Eva Green is a captivating screen presence and Powers Boothe is a terrific scumbag criminal.  But most of the other segments fall flat.  JGL, a favorite actor of mine, is given the probably the weakest of the stories...not much to do with it.  It's kind of a dead end. Same for Jeremy Piven and the Christopher Moloni.

It probably didn't help that a decade has passed since the first one.  This one just feels tacked on, unnecessary.  It's not terrible but unless you're just dying to see some movie, any movie, this one is not really worth the effort.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Sin City 2 a disappointment
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2014, 03:50 pm »
Thanks for the review Rob. Was wondering what was up with it as I hadn't seen much commentary. A shame as the first one was top notch.  8)