SUPER 3S or 1.5 TOWER's for my Bottlehead Stereomour?

romanvm

Hey guys,

I am looking for a pair of hight sensitivity speakers to go with my Stereomour and been looking at Omega products for a while now. Has anybody had a chance to run this setup?

I need fairly high sensitivity speakers to go well with stereomour, see specs below. I like 3S for its wider frequency response 38 - 20 kHz but sensitivity is 94db at 8 ohms. Tower 1.5 is 43 - 20kHz vented, 55 - 20kHz plugged and sensitivity is 97db. I know that room will play a big roll (mine is 16' x 22' & 9' ceilings) but what would be your choice for the stereomour? (keep in mind i am fairly new to tube amp/high sensitivity setups, this is my first system).

Stereomour specs:

Power 2A3 - 3.5 Watts

Hum typically 1 mV RMS, depending upon the output tube used

Bandwidth: -1dB at 20Hz, -3dB at 50kHz

Sensitivity: full power at about 0.4v (2A3)

Thank you all for your help!

ps. Right now I'm running old dynaudio studio monitors, i believe these are 87 db sensitivity and i have to say as it is it sounds great, can't wait to hear omega's. Don't be frighten by the speaker placement lol, its temporary.

Roman

Hank Murrow

Re: SUPER 3S or 1.5 TOWER's for my Bottlehead Stereomour?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2013, 04:23 pm »
Hey Roman; I ran my Omega Super Fives with a Custom Bottlehead 2A3 amp built by Paul Birkeland, filling a 15'x18'x8' room with music at high volumes. Adding subs took some of the load from the amp and the Omegas down low, adding to the power handling in the low midrange. I retired the Super Fives to my pottery studio in favor of Blumenstein Orcas + Subs, which are playing loud and lovely at about 15 clicks on the 28 position transformer volume controls on the Custom Bottlehead linestage, also built by Paul for me.

I think you'll be fine with either Omega speaker.

Cheers, Hank

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2013, 04:39 pm »
Holy shamoley - best looking Bottlehead gear EVER.  Makes me want to trash my Paramounts.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm »
romanvm,

I run the latest Omega Super 3XRS with a Decware Super Zen Select (2w/ch) shooting across one end of a 13'W x 25'L x 9'H room with no volume issues, not to mention it sounds sublime.  No sub and feel no urge to have one.  The Super 3S will give you more bottom end than my Super 3XRS.  I can't think of a better match for your amp than the Super 3S, and the Hoyt-Bedford 1.5 I would not recommend as a good match for your Bottlehead.  I found the 1.5 to be happier with a push pull tube amp.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2013, 10:54 pm »
I retired the Super Fives to my pottery studio in favor of Blumenstein Orcas + Subs

Cheers, Hank
Hank,
If you are still running Super 5 Monitors with the HempCones may I recommend you retrofit them with Louis' latest 4.5" driver, the RS5 (they are a drop in fit). 
The difference will not be subtle - big improvement right across the frequency spectrum not to mention 1.5db more efficient than the old HempCone.  A very inexpensive upgrade, and I dare say they may exit your pottery shop and end up back in your listening room.  I am running the Super 3XRS with a watt and a half less than you and loving it.  One of the areas of greatest improvement with the RS5 driver is the bass.

Moot

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2013, 12:12 am »
I have a pair of Omega Super 6 Monitors and just last week ordered the Stereomour kit for them (plus a bunch of "upgrade" parts.) The few reviews of this combination I could find were quite favourable. I'll definitely post my impressions once it's up and running. Unfortunately the kit won't ship for another few weeks.

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm »
Hello, Roman --

I recently purchased a pair of Omega Super 3S speakers to go with a Dared 2A3C integrated amplifier. It's 8 wpc -- and in a living room that's 13 x 18 x 8, the sound is absolutely magical. I've run the system only 35 hours at most -- which means that, technically, it's still breaking in -- but it already has improved considerably from the initial listening. The highs have smoothed out a bit -- especially upper registers of violins (I listen to about 50% classical, 30% jazz and 20% classic rock), which were quite 'shiny' at first. But now everything is sounding settled -- soundstage is deep and wide, there's an enormous amount of detail --- everything sounds 'right.'

This compares favorably with my old system (my former spouse got custody of it in the divorce, and I actually listened to it yesterday at her house): Kef 105.2 speakers, Nakamichi electronics (from Nak's 'golden era' in the mid-80's): PA-7 amp, CA-5 pre-amp, OMS-7 CD player, ST-7 tuner and 480 cassette deck). That old system -- bought in April, 1986 -- still sounds great. And, yet -- I'll take my Omega/Dared/Marantz CD system.

I just wish I had all my old vinyl -- but that's another very, very sad story (about 1,300 LP's and a Well-Tempered Labs turntable and arm, Sumiko Boron cartridge --- magical). I'll bet it would really be sublime on my new system.

romanvm

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2013, 06:46 pm »
Guys,

Thank you so much for your recommendations!! I will be giving omega a call to order super 3s.

I will check back with my thoughts here once i have the setup running, can't wait!

Happy holidays everybody!

Roman

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2013, 08:19 pm »
Hi Roman,

Many thanks for your purchase of the 3S's and going to be spending a lot of time on the saw tomorrow. Your speakers are on the cut list. I'll make sure they come out perfect.

Great to read all the posts and many thanks for all the comments.

Hi Capt. Yossarian  and thanks for the update. The system will get better and better over time and soon you will pass 80 hours and be on the way. Sorry to hear about the vinyl though and the Turntable is one of the best made. Great piece.

Thanks,
Louis

romanvm

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2013, 03:02 am »
Louis,

I can not wait to hear these! Thank you and let me know when its ready to ship!

Happy holidays!

Roman

Moot

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2013, 06:12 pm »
I am so happy with my Omegas (Super 6 Monitors) that I'm jealous of your soon-to-be-made 3's! Louis' cabinetry is marvelous.

Did you opt for a fancy finish?

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2013, 11:46 pm »
Hi romanvm,

Many thanks and I will for sure. The new finish will look great on the speakers.

Hi Moot,

Great to hear and many thanks. I appreciate all the kind words and will try my best to make them as best as I can.

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Louis

Hank Murrow

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2014, 04:26 pm »
Hank,
If you are still running Super 5 Monitors with the HempCones may I recommend you retrofit them with Louis' latest 4.5" driver, the RS5 (they are a drop in fit). 
The difference will not be subtle - big improvement right across the frequency spectrum not to mention 1.5db more efficient than the old HempCone.  A very inexpensive upgrade, and I dare say they may exit your pottery shop and end up back in your listening room.  I am running the Super 3XRS with a watt and a half less than you and loving it.  One of the areas of greatest improvement with the RS5 driver is the bass.

Thanks Canada Rob, I have been converted to the RS5 for a year now and like them fine. A lovely improvement, which Louis makes easy with his generous driver-replacement policy.

Cheers, Hank

Hank Murrow

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2014, 04:31 pm »
Holy shamoley - best looking Bottlehead gear EVER.  Makes me want to trash my Paramounts.

As an all-Bottlehead-system lover___ don't trash your BH Paramounts! I had collected a Lot of MQ iron(and Cobalt) for some years before asking Paul Birkeland(@ Doc's invitation) to build it into the units I have now. They don't suffer in comparison with Doc's Big Rig. I am waiting patiently for the BH DAC.

Cheers, Hank