RMAF 2012 Pics and Sporadic Brutally Honest Commentary

wisnon

Re: RMAF 2012 Pics and Sporadic Brutally Honest Commentary
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:26 pm »
I was thinking exact same thing when perusing Dave's very nice gallery of pics and comments.  In a way it's great that the overlap is so small.  OK, so here is an idea for next year's plan:
* coordinate, among three reports, the entire show.  Each report person (or duo in the case of Pez/Tyson) take a third of the rooms and report back.  :)  Each report needs to have a good cameraman, of course (you guys and Dave have set a nice bar!!).   Obviously, go see the rooms you want to see, but that can be done in the "drafting" of rooms, or after the report activities are through (yeah, good luck on that).

LoL

A room draft!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:31 pm »
LoL

A room draft!

I know!  Might be a stupid idea, as these guys are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, and visiting rooms that they want to visit.  My plan feels way more like work.   :o

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:32 pm »
I know!  Might be a stupid idea, as these guys are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, and visiting rooms that they want to visit.  My plan feels way more like work.   :o
Good for us, you can do it at CES.  Live coverage from CES by ted_b.  WooHoo!!!!!   :thumb:

vortrex

« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm »

More Zu. Another system that can't play digital, complete BS and alienating potential customers by not playing music people brought in. That goes for every vendor at RMAF, I'd MUCH RATHER BUY STUFF FROM PEOPLE THAT WILL SPARE 5 MINUTES TO PLAY MY F$%KING MUSIC!!! AND NOT HAVE AN ATTITUDE ABOUT IT!!!

Interesting comments about Zu.  At the CA Audio Show they were the ONLY room not playing elevator music and I think many were happy they didn't have the equipment necessary to play everyone's favorite Diana Krall CD.  Not only that, but Sean was by far the coolest vendor at the show.

michaelhigh

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:36 pm »
Thank you for your effort and commentary. I've not attended an RMAF in the past but hope to plan a trip next year if the bucks line up. I probably won't be making any significant purchases till after witnessing the offerings at next year's extraveganza. Sorry to hear the Wisons were underwhelming, I guess I'll strike them from my must buy list (as if their price shouldn't accomplish the same result!)... :green:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:41 pm »
Good for us, you can do it at CES.  Live coverage from CES by ted_b.  WooHoo!!!!!   :thumb:

Oops!   :duh:   :D

vinyl_lady

« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:55 pm »
Yes, the 7's sounded dreadfull but the Quattro's sound really nice.
The day I was in the Audio Alternative room with the 7's, they sounded pretty good. I went to hear the Lyra Atlas cartridge and it sound very detailed, spacious and accurate listening to Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall 1971. They are not my cup of tea as far as speakers go.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:59 pm »
An overwhelming positive response from listeners in the Fried room.  Dave got the brutal part correct.

OK, possibly too brutal. I don't like most speakers, maybe one in ten or so.... The BF speakers definitely weren't my style but I can see how some people will like them, and props for a made in the USA product for sure.

wisnon

« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:00 pm »

I will trade you 2 electrostatic speaker rooms for 1 Air Motion Transformer room or 3 dynamic cones NOT named Magico! How many Class D rooms for a SET room over 20WPC?LoL

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:01 pm »
Dave, great stuff here! Thanks for your huge contribution!

Thanks, I will see what I can do about rotated pics, Photobucket is frustrating me with this. It's never been an issue before now...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:07 pm »
I was very impressed by the NOLA KO's at $10k/pr.  Maybe you didn't like the music when you were there?

My personal vote for one of the worst sounds at the show (I heard them only Fri and Sat) was the Cessaro room. 

Isn't that what makes this hobby great?!

I really liked the Cessaro room, but couldn't play my own material with the big guys, this is understandable in rooms that are always crowded unless you're actually considering a purchase.

edit, is there any connection between the Hornings in room 493 and the Cessaros? The puresound guy made it seem like there was but maybe I misunderstood?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:11 pm »
Nice pics and info considering the time it takes to see and take in one of these shows and try and remember anything that was truly memorable.

Are you able to share more about the High Water Sound room with Tron and Cessaro's.

I had to skip this years show but I enjoyed the previous four.

Thanks, and while I enjoyed the Cessaro/Tron room I couldn't play my own material so I can't make any really detailed observations.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:17 pm »
Dave, about the Dspeaker:

Great, thanks! The only question is to buy now or wait 'til they figure out their USB implementation... if it is upgradeable fully with firmware that that would be great, but not sure if that'll be the case...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:19 pm »
I was thinking exact same thing when perusing Dave's very nice gallery of pics and comments.  In a way it's great that the overlap is so small.  OK, so here is an idea for next year's plan:
* coordinate, among three reports, the entire show.  Each report person (or duo in the case of Pez/Tyson) take a third of the rooms and report back.  :)  Each report needs to have a good cameraman, of course (you guys and Dave have set a nice bar!!).   Obviously, go see the rooms you want to see, but that can be done in the "drafting" of rooms, or after the report activities are through (yeah, good luck on that).

Yeah, there were SO MANY systems to see. I was there all 3 days, probably got in about 16-18 hours.... by Sunday I was a little tired.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:25 pm »
There were a pair of Vandersteen model 2's or 3's in the BSG Technologies qOL demo room.   The qOL process does some very interesting things to soundstage and overall response.  Very interesting A/B demo. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:27 pm »
Interesting comments about Zu.  At the CA Audio Show they were the ONLY room not playing elevator music and I think many were happy they didn't have the equipment necessary to play everyone's favorite Diana Krall CD.  Not only that, but Sean was by far the coolest vendor at the show.

Zu sells hi sensitivity speakers that are somewhat affordable, so I would have liked to hear them with music I am familiar with. Whether Sean is cool or not has little to no bearing on whether I would purchase his speakers. I will tell you one thing I won't do, and that's purchase his speakers without an audition...

vortrex

« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:49 pm »
Zu sells hi sensitivity speakers that are somewhat affordable, so I would have liked to hear them with music I am familiar with. Whether Sean is cool or not has little to no bearing on whether I would purchase his speakers. I will tell you one thing I won't do, and that's purchase his speakers without an audition...

well you mentioned the "attitiude" and how they wouldn't play your music.  I guarantee you if you had an album they would have played it for you.  sounds like you're angry not because they wouldn't play your music, but because it wasn't in the format you prefer.  it's good to see some vendors only using the superior medium.   :green:

morganc

« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:55 pm »

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's part of Zu's marketing strategy.   I have met Sean a few times and I think he's one of the honestly good guys in the biz.   And I'm pretty sure they market themselves to be out of the norm as far as hifi is concerned.

dminches

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:05 pm »
Yes, the 7's sounded dreadfull but the Quattro's sound really nice.

That is a surprise about the 7s.  Was it the room?  Any idea what was driving them?  Usually they team with ARC.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:10 pm »
Thanks for your work.  I can't see details on most of the speakers because they're too dark.  I suppose the hotel room lighting was very poor and you didn't have a camera flash.  Some interesting-looking speakers for sure.  What's the price of the 'stats that you liked?