RMAF 2012

TomS

Re: RMAF 2012
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2012, 08:49 pm »
When I checked a week ago, the Marriot was booked.  When did you make your reservations?  :scratch:
Yeah, it was several months ago.

Pez

« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:14 pm »
What's the deal here? How come this site is being used to advertise Facebook? Are we getting the same thing back?

Tyson and I will be doing the only coverage worth reading right here on AC.

And no I'm not biased.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:35 pm »
Tyson and I will be doing the only coverage worth reading right here on AC.

And no I'm not biased.
Good, because those two guys that were going around last year were terrible.  Wink2

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #23 on: 26 Aug 2012, 05:00 pm »
Finally got to booking flight and my pass for the show.  I got in early enough to get in at the Mariott.  Unless the flight gets mucked up, I'll be in Thursday afternoon and out Monday morning.  I have only met one AC member face to face, so it will be nice to hopefully get to hang with some people. :)

As this is my first time going, and I will have some time to kill, and I wanted to be at the Mariott to remain a pedestrian all weekend, I'm probably going to give myself the dime tour of the hotel Thursday night to get my bearings and check out the food options within walking distance - I want to be able to make the most of my time during the show.  A couple questions for the veterans:

I took a look around the RMAF website and found the exhibitor list.  Is there by any chance a map of the hotel marked up with who is in which rooms?  It would help me make sure I get time to visit all the people I would like to see.  In particular, I would like to make sure I get a chance to visit the rooms showcasing vendors here on AC.

Regarding traffic flow of the show, I'm assuming the best times during business hours to check out things are Friday and Sunday, with Saturday being a little busy?  Does it sound about right to make Friday and Sunday "work" days and Saturday more of a "play" day?

I'll probably have more (dumb) questions the closer it gets to show time.  I hope I can make this a fun trip.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 26 Aug 2012, 05:55 pm »
Based entirely upon my experience from last year:

Friday was fairly busy with a long line to pick up passes right at opening (if you pre-registered). The crowd seemed to peek mid afternoon, then taper off for the last hour or so.
Saturday was the busiest, but it was never too bad IMO. Steady the whole day. Many people already had figured out from Friday how to avoid the log jams - there were considerably more people making use of the stairwells. (Here's to hoping all the elevators work the entire weekend - would make a big difference)
Sunday was kind of weird. I thought the crowd was slightly smaller, but was also surprised by the number of vendors packing up late morning (before noon at any rate - especially in the headphone room). But Sunday afternoon, it really thinned out. I think a bunch of people headed out of town around 2. Also seemed like some of the vendors were burned out by then as well. It's a LONG weekend.

As far as the layout being available beforehand: I honestly don't remember. :scratch:

I do remember that several of the AC vendors mentioned (in the forums) which room they were going to be setting up in a couple of weeks before the show and I made note of them. You might be able to find out the general layout of the hotel beforehand, but not which vendor is in which room.

mgalusha

« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2012, 07:43 pm »
Floorplan info can be found here: http://audiofest.net/2012/floorplans_main_lobby.php
List of exhibitors and rooms can be found here: http://audiofest.net/2012/export.php

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:29 pm »
Even though I can't make it this year because I'll be in the middle of an extensive house remodel here are a few tips I have gleaned from past RMAF's.

• If you can, always, always use the stairwells
  • Friday's sound in some rooms is a work in progress
  • Time your visit to Fritz Speakers around Happy Hour
  • Assorted AC members are always at The Lift Restaurant & Lounge at closing time
  • The Hilton Garden Inn has the best breakfast buffet. Get there early and request a table with an ethernet connection for free and fast internet access. (Don't forget to bring your own cable) Wi-Fi in the big hotels is expensive and notoriously slow.

Wayne

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2012, 09:31 pm »
All booked and ready to go. Staying at the Hyatt.  Got a great deal on the plane ticket - $187 round trip including taxes from St. Louis on Southwest. 

I'll be there exhibiting with Klaus and Alex from Odyssey this year.

See you all there.   :drums: :guitar: :banana piano:

Bryan

bside123

« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2012, 09:49 pm »
Also booked and ready to go. Will be driving cross country from the midwest on Thursday. This will be my first RMAF. I'm looking forward to the experience and hoping to meet fellow AudioCircle members.  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2012, 10:11 pm »
Also booked and ready to go. Will be driving cross country from the midwest on Thursday. This will be my first RMAF. I'm looking forward to the experience and hoping to meet fellow AudioCircle members.  :thumb:

Very cool. looking forward to meeting you.

Laura

bside123

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm »
Very cool. looking forward to meeting you.

Laura

Same here, Laura!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2012, 01:26 am »
I had planned to attend, but I have a work commitment so one less GASSER. . . :(

Delacroix

« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2012, 01:59 am »
Left it late (my own fault) but am booked tonight to get there early Friday pm and back Sunday pm - at the Hyatt. Hope to meet my fellow  AC'ers there!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2012, 04:55 pm »
We (Vapor Audio) will be there as well with 2 rooms - 577 and 593.  We're sharing 577 with BMC, and 593 with Arte Forma.  We'll also have a new music server from Antipodes in one of those rooms.  Lots of designs we'll be showing, in fact we've rented a U-Haul just to have room for everything we're bringing  :lol:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #34 on: 7 Sep 2012, 05:17 pm »
Glad Vapor has a dedicated room this year. Looking forward to hearing what you can do with proper time to set up. See you there!

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #35 on: 7 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm »
Triode Wire Labs is elated to be sharing in Danny Richie's (GR Research) Room 2024 with Dave Elledge from PI Audio Group, along with Gary Dodd (Dodd Audio) and Eric Hider (dB Audio Labs)...

Should be a blast with great tunes and great company!

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of AC'rs in person!

Cheers,
Pete  :beer:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #36 on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:27 am »
Just a note that also in room 593 we'll have the Emperical Audio Overdrive DAC.  I'm really looking forward to hearing what it can do! 

taoggniklat

« Reply #37 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:13 pm »
I will be there again this year, but only on Saturday.

standub

« Reply #38 on: 18 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm »
Just a note that also in room 593 we'll have the Emperical Audio Overdrive DAC.  I'm really looking forward to hearing what it can do!

I would say this would be my first stop except for the fact I wouldn't leave to see anything else :green:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:15 am »
I would say this would be my first stop except for the fact I wouldn't leave to see anything else :green:

Haha, well you do have other rooms in your house that need filling don't you  :lol:

Swing by anytime and we'll have a beer for you.