(The Clue) Monitor Speakers SOLD

kentj1948

(The Clue) Monitor Speakers SOLD
« on: 21 Oct 2016, 07:24 pm »
I am selling a very little used pair of (The Clue) loudspeakers.  These were sold by Sjofn HiFi.  These speakers are small two way monitors designed to work close to a wall and take advantage of the wall/floor interface to improve bass performance.  The claimed frequency response is 28 to 33 Hz on the low end and up to 42KHz on the high, both figures room dependent.  Efficiency is 86 dB with a nominal impedance of 4.2 Ohms.  They require stands 19-22 inches in height.

I believe the tweeter was made by Vifa and the woofer/mid by SEAS (or it is the opposite).  Both were made to Sjofn's specifications.  The speakers measure 14 by 10 by 8.5 inches and weigh 16.5 pounds each.  This pair is finished in maple veneer.  I mention these specs because the Sjofn site is no longer operating.  The person responsible for designing and marketing these speakers had stroke about two and a half years ago and the business was closed down.

I used these speakers in a small living room space with good results.  I have heard spectacular sound at RMAF in a larger space.

The obvious strength of these speakers is that are designed to work close to a wall.  Not many speakers are designed for this positioning.  Sjofn previously imported the Swedish Guru loudspeaker, which was also made for close placement to the wall so they had considerable experience with this type of speaker. 

The list price was $1500 but they typically sold at shows for $1000 a pair.  I am asking $500 plus shipping and 4% for Paypal.  They will ship in the factory box and all the set up information is included.  I also have stands of the right height if you need them.

The condition of these speakers is excellent.  They had little use and have been boxed up due to moving for the past 2 and a half years.  I have moved into a condo and no longer have any place to use them.  There is one other thing I need to note.  The veneer on top of one of the speakers has a dark spot.  It is not damage just discoloration in the wood itself.

These speakers had a mediocre review by Stereophile.  What I was told is that Stereophile refused to listen to the designer's input regarding set up and went their own way.  There was considerable bitterness on Sjofn's side about the review.  I reviewed these speakers for Positive Feedback Online and thought more highly of them.  I am sure that review is somewhere in their archives. 

Contact me with any questions.  I cannot get photos to upload to AudioCircle but can send them via email.  Thanks for checking out my ad.  Kent Johnson

« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2016, 06:10 pm by kentj1948 »

dflee

Re: (The Clue) Monitor Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2016, 09:24 pm »
Positive Feedback has some really good things to say in their review.
If I wasn't broke, I'd be on these.

starkiller

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2016, 03:39 am »
If one had a computer desk and a monitor right smack dab in the  middle of it yet had sufficient room to hear and see the Clue's angled towards me how might they sound?

kentj1948

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2016, 02:13 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments. 

Bear in mind that I wrote the review for PFO and I am selling the speakers.  Not that I am not totally objective...

I don't think the clues will work well in a very near field environment.  The listener needs to be 1 to 1.8 times the distance from the speaker as the speakers are from each other.  So if you had a large desk, say 4 feet wide you would need to sit at least that far away.  I don't think this is likely to be workable, although, in truth, I have never tried it.  Where their design would really pay off is if you have smallish listening room since you don't have to give them room out from the front wall.   

I am in St. Louis and if anyone is close by we can certainly do a home audition.  I have stands of the right height to properly set them up.

I appreciate the interest.  Kent Johnson