Cowon Plenue M and friends

JohnR

Cowon Plenue M and friends
« on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:22 am »
I think this device might be discontinued. However that might be a good thing - I just picked up a demo unit at less than half retail. Key features - PCM up to 192k (will play but downsample DxD per specs, didn't try), DSD and 2xDSD, μSD card up to 128G, AMOLED display. UI is very responsive. Can be used as a DAC with some limitations (below). Uses PCM1795 chip. Digital out (optical). Fairly good EQ options. Sounds pretty good.

Limitations: in DAC mode, all EQ is disabled. Also, no 88k, 176k or DSD when connected as a DAC. (Now I think about it, I'm not sure if 88 and 176 work from storage, haven't tried it yet. I do know DSD does.) Battery life not fantastic, but I will largely be using it tethered anyway.

I went to the store intending to buy a Meze 99 Classic along with it. No dice.. way too much bass for my taste. Strong bass is one thing, but the Meze is too much for me. With EQ, much better, but unfortunately the EQ on the Cowon is not operational when it is used as a DAC. Too bad, I really thought I would get a pair. So I tried a few other phones in the same price range, my capsule summary (JHMO etc!):

* Meze 99. Nice sound, lovely "petite" build, but for my taste it has an overbearing bass presence.
* Senn Momentum. I felt these were flat sounding and uninspiring. I didn't feel that I wanted to listen to them for long.
* Oppo PM-3. Nice detail, but to my ear they had some strange resonance in the lower midrange.
* Denon AH-MM400. I've never heard of these before. Bass was a touch on the strong side but nothing like the Meze. Chunky kind of "over engineering" build. Soundwise, I liked them, and felt I could easily live with them as a portable (ish) option.

In the end, it occurred to me to just try HE-560s (which I already have) with the Plenue M. Thing is, I don't actually need portable headphones at present, I was just assuming that I would need something more sensitive than the HE-560s to use with the portable player. But..! the HE-560s were fine. Not going to blow your ears off, and you might not want that as a primary combo (bit lacking in slam maybe) but for my needs, it was fine.

So that was that. No more headphones needed to buy. And I'm glad to finally have a decent portable audio player.

Manufacturer info: http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/plenuem/
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2016, 11:38 am by JohnR »

JohnR

Re: Cowon Plenue M and friends
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:07 am »
One week update.

I'm enjoying this. I've not done direct back and forth but it does seem to sound better in DAC mode than player mode...

Driving my HE-560s, it doesn't have the drive in the lower frequencies from a separate amp but other than that, it's better than I expected. I'm gong to try some other headphones with it this week or next.