Snell Speaker Review in Stereophile

Sparks

« on: 18 May 2006, 12:33 am »
I don't know if this has any correlation to my HT2s but I thought it was interesting to compare J. Atkinson's review of the Snell LCR7 XL to my impressions of the HT2.

Both have indentical speaker layouts, sealed cabinet, Seas mid-woofs, Snell uses the millenium tweeter, HT2 uses the LCY ribbon. The x-over would be the unknown factor.
The Snell is twice the price.

Otherwise Atkinson's review pretty much sums up how I feel about the HT2s except I'm not hung up about having a full range speaker.
Or the fact that hyped-up pop recordings sound a bit edgy above 90db SPL. Really? :roll:
Contrary to most on this board, I prefer having 2 subs.
There's advantages to both sides and to each his own.

I love the HT2s and really want for nothing, except recordings that do them justice.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Snell Speaker Review in Stereophile
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2006, 07:04 pm »
Quote from: Sparks
I don't know if this has any correlation to my HT2s but I thought it was interesting to compare J. Atkinson's review of the Snell LCR7 XL to my impressions of the HT2.

Hi  The main difference, besides the, tweeter, is the larger woofers used in the HT2. The crossover topology is very similar.  I did contour the response to avoid the slight elevation in the midtreble room response that can occur in MTM's (and can be seen in Atkinson's room response graph).  I suspect, however, that the two speakers sound much more alike than different.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2006, 07:35 pm »
Contrary to most on this board, I prefer having 2 subs.
There's advantages to both sides and to each his own.

I use two subs and like the set up very much.  I have the basement to my self so I can do what I want.  If I had to share a smaller room I'd have only one sub.  With the HT-3's I will run them only for 2 channel.  the subs will be used for HT.

Sparks

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2006, 11:28 pm »
Hi Dennis.
Thanks for the reply.
I neglected to look at the specs section of the article and assumed the Seas woofers were the same.

I've never felt the HT2s presented any elevated anything in my listening so far.

In fact when listening to DD & DTS soundtracks, it's hard to explain but they present a startlingly cohesive soundstage and lack any emphasis or thinness, especially in the upper end that so many soundtracks exhibit.

I'm looking forward to MLP based soundtracks on Hi-Def dvds.

I wouldn't have posted except that Atkinson's impressions of the Snells were so similiar to mine(and others) regarding the HT2s.

I purposely listened to many selections featuring cymbals, hi-hats etc., to get a feel for the ribbon's ability to capture their sound. It's fascinating to listen for the difference between strikes of drumsticks, brushes and when 2 cymbals are played at the same time and the sound of different sizes and types of cymbals.
Snare drums got that "snare" and toms are tubby and round.

Wow listen to my adjectives :)

No smearing, distinct, delicate and metallic, very nice.

I'm glad Atkinson was the reviewer and not Fremer. Nothing personal, but the superlatives are starting to run a bit thin on me.

I hope the HT2s garner the attention I feel they deserve.
IMO they're a true value and that's saying something considering their heritage.

Maybe this would be a question for Jim:
I assumed that the HT2s might present a more difficult load than the "average" speaker. I'm not too concerned since I feel my amp has the substance to drive them. Am I correct in this assumption?

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2006, 12:12 pm »
Sparks -

I assumed that the HT2s might present a more difficult load than the "average" speaker. I'm not too concerned since I feel my amp has the substance to drive them. Am I correct in this assumption?

The HT2's should not be a difficult load for most amps.  While the impedance is generally lower with an MTM design such as this, the effect is somewhat offset by increased sensitivity requiring less power to drive them to a given SPL.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2006, 02:35 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
Sparks -

The HT2's should not be a difficult load for most amps.  While the impedance is generally lower with an MTM design such as this, the effect is somewhat offset by increased sensitivity requiring less power to drive them to a given SPL.

- Jim

Right--although I wouldn't recommend an MTM for any tube amp that can't handle 4 ohms over part of the frequency spectrum, I would think most amps would have absolutely no problem, particularly for the HT2, where the impedance is above 4 ohms for a good bit of the time.