New finishing system

Pelallito

New finishing system
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:09 pm »
What do you mean "bated breath", I turned an ugly shade of blue a while ago. :lol:
Pelallito

texas steve

New finishing system
« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:32 pm »
Quote from: Pelallito
What do you mean "bated breath", I turned an ugly shade of blue a while ago. :lol:
Pelallito

Yea, me too!  Mine are going to be black, hand rubbed with High Gloss, so Im sure Jim is cussing me right now!

jsalk

New finishing system
« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2006, 03:01 pm »
Quote from: Pelallito
Jim,
Are they my speakers?
Pelallito

No, I had already finished your main cabinets with lacquer before I was introduced to the new system.  But, in your case, it really doesn't matter.  The walnut had such nice grain, I decided not to fill it completely.  So I didn't need the new materials.

The main new material I will be using is a sealer/filler that allows me to completely fill the grain in any wood in a single day.  (That way I can sand out the filler and topcoat the next day.)

Although there are a wide variety of topcoats in the system, I will still use a pre-cat lacquer as a topcoat on many projects that will not involve a rubbed out finish.  

That said, I do plan on finishing your baffles (the only thing left to do) with the new system.

- Jim

jsalk

New finishing system
« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2006, 03:15 pm »
Quote from: jholtz
Hi Jim,

Here's a link to a product called Crystalac that was recommended to me. I found it to be very impressive with the clearest, hardest finish I've ever seen. Since you're experimenting a bit, check it out.

Jim -

Thanks.  But that is exactly what I am not trying to do - experiment.  I need a system that is fast, extremely reliable and allows me to have consistantly superior results in the shortest possible time.  I found it.

This system was recommended to me by two separate individuals.  The first is a high-end custom furniture builder (want a $40,000 entertainment center or an $80,000 library unit?).  The other is a projessional finisher who does work for scores of local cabinet builders.

The system, by ICA of Italy, featuers a wide range of finishing materials.  I am using a high-build sealer that allows me to shoot coats every 45 mintues until the grain is completely filled.  The next day it sands out like butter and allows me to apply any topcoat I desire.  Plus, it is crstal clear, impervious to water, will not yellow and is extremely hard.

The top of their line is a polyester.  This is undoubtedly the finest finishing material available today.  You can rub it out to an incredible gloss (again and again if you want to re-new the finish), it is crystal clear and is one of the hardest finishes there is.  But it is very dangerous to use.  Mix the three components out of order and you may not live to tell about it - it explodes big time!

In short, I have been looking for a better finishing system for some time now (thought I had a pretty good one to begin with).  But I can't see any reason to look further.  This system has what I was looking for.

- Jim

texas steve

New finishing system
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:14 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
Jim -

Thanks.  But that is exactly what I am not trying to do - experiment.  I need a system that is fast, extremely reliable and allows me to have consistantly superior results in the shortest possible time.  I found it.

This system was recommended to me by two separate individuals.  The first is a high-end custom furniture builder (want a $40,000 entertainment center or an $80,000 library unit?).  The other is a projessional finisher who does work for scores of local cabinet builders.

The system ...

Jim, I undersand from our emails this is whats being used on mine, Im realy looking forward to seeing (and hearing of course) them!!

jsalk

New finishing system
« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: texas steve
Jim, I undersand from our emails this is whats being used on mine, Im realy looking forward to seeing (and hearing of course) them!!

Yes.  I sanded down the sealer coats yesterday, applied more dye and shot the topcoat layers.  Now they will cure for a few days and I can start rubbing them out (about Wednesday or Thursday).  As long as I don't sand through the topcoat, we should be set to go.  Wich me luck.

- Jim