The audibility of RIAA networks.

felixscerri

The audibility of RIAA networks.
« on: 20 Sep 2016, 08:01 am »
G'day all, this is a bit of a mystery that I'd really like a definitive answer to....please!  A long term DIY phono stage that I've long been a fan of is the Elliott Sound Products P06 of which I have built quite a few for different applications over the years. 

However my more recent P06 efforts somehow just didn't sound as good as my early ones and it took me a long time to work out why.  At some point a choice of different treble HF filter networks became available for the project and I had started using those, because the two networks were supposed to be essentially electrically equivalent, and in fact the latter HF filter network is supposed to be the more accurate of the two, but it sure it doesn't sound like that to me! 

Can anyone venture to guess why the two networks sound so very different to me?!  Regards, Felix.   
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm by felixscerri »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: The audibility of RIAA networks.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:36 pm »
Hi Felix,
Without the particulars of these two networks how could anyone guess?

You should get in touch with Elliott Sound Products and take it up with them.  Perhaps you hooked it up wrong?
Please let us know how this turns out.
neo

felixscerri

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 07:28 am »
G'day mate, actually I have had very considerable email correspondence with Rod Elliott about this and whilst he concedes that there might be a slight audible difference, they are essentially the same.  I have made no errors in my assemblies, so it is a mystery!  Regards, Felix. 

simoon

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:09 pm »
Maybe the new one is more accurate, but since you are used to the old one, the audible differences that you notice register with you as being wrong.

Human minds are notorious for being susceptible to things like, confirmation bias, which may have prejudiced you to believing anything you now hear differently, has to be wrong.