Amp decision?

dukecv

Amp decision?
« on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:33 am »
So I’ve come across a local deal on a McIntosh Mc1200 amp for $400. I realize the amp probably needs to be recapped, but still a nice amp. I have some Omega Super 7’s in ash tweed that are just awesome speakers. I know it’s kinda of a mismatch with the amp and these speakers, but seems like a good deal. Would this amp be a waste of my time, or can anyone come up with an amp with approximately the same price, that’d be an even better match. I know about 5,000 people are gonna say decware, and I agree, but it’d also be about twice the price.

Thanks all

RDavidson

Re: Amp decision?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:14 am »
Probably a very decent amp, but after recapping and other maintenance, I'm not sure it'd be worth it in the end. My guess is you'd have $600-$800 into it, assuming you'd have to ship it off to a good tech. Or.....you could just get a used Decware. :lol:

dukecv

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:23 am »
Fair enough. Makes sense. I’ll keep my eyes posted for something on the used markets and see what I can come up with.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:47 am »
To this Omega FR just came to mind the monoblocs Mapletree Super Stealth Monobloc Power Amplifier 8W of 6V6 bliss that you can take new for $750
https://hollowstate.netfirms.com/otherproducts.htm
Or the SE edition for $850

Also this flea power 1.5W at $800:
http://www.classicvalve.ca/Ame.html

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/se12by7a.html
All will delivery sweet music w/your Omega FR in a small room.

OPS: the Mapletree prices are per monoblock sorry.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2017, 04:55 pm by FullRangeMan »

tdogzthmn

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2017, 11:29 pm »
Class D amps have been great with my Junior 8's.  I'm using a Fleawatt amp right now but I would look at the new NAD C338 which has a lot of nice features including phono input.

dukecv

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2017, 03:45 am »
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Think I’m gonna pass on the Mac for sure, and look into either a used decware with the options I want or just saving for the one I want. If so many are happy with the combo, my situation can’t be to terribly different. I think I’ll be pleased when the time comes, and I’ll be sure to post about my setup when I acquire something.

rar1

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2017, 01:51 am »
I have been using a Rega Brio R integrated amp since I purchased the Super 7 about 2 years ago.  Very happy with the combination.   Plenty of clean power. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2017, 01:56 am »
A sweet amp, I already listening an Rega Brio afew years back,
I missing this amp, dont sell it.